Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Can't Decide!

A week or so ago I went bridal dress shopping for the first time with my mom and my 2 cousins.  I went so early because I have limited opportunities to see my mom and I really wanted her there.  I went in *thinking* I knew what I wanted: lace, with straps, and no mermaid style (I thought it would over-emphasize my butt and make me look like a sausage).  So of course I ended up really loving a mermaid-style strapless dress.  I have 3 dresses on file, but I've really narrowed it down to 2 that I love for different reasons. 

The first one is Maggie Sottero: http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=J1525&page=0&pageSize=36&keywordText=&keywordType=All. It's simple but elegant which I love, and has beautiful lace patterns.  I also tried it with a swarvoski belt which looked nice but I could wear it as is and be happy. 

The second dress is an Allure: http://allurebridals.com/Store_ProductDetail.aspx?pid=g9G2eG264868e1DD528e.  I absolutely love this dress, especially the sheer sleeves and the low back with covered buttons.  But I am torn.  It's hard to choose since they are different styles but I love them both. 

I don't know if I should try them on again and just suck it up and pick one, or look around more.  I don't believe in the whole "perfect" dress that makes you cry when you put it on.  That's just not me; there's so many gorgeous dresses out there that I know I'll find more than one that I love.  I just don't know how to choose.  How did everyone else choose their dress, and how many did you look at before making the final call?

Re: Can't Decide!

• Options
    I'm with Duds. I like the Allure better.   I won't respond about the keep looking part.  My wedding is in 60 days and I have a dress hanging in my closet and I am still looking.  It's torture.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_cant-decide-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:16c3bd05-d623-4ee2-94fa-f44a7703332ePost:20a4fab1-1ff8-409f-9f04-5ce1ecbe425c">Re: Can't Decide!</a>:
    [QUOTE]They are both very pretty, but I prefer the Allure. I think the fabric looks of better quality and has a richer feel to it.   Might be the color the dresses are shown in that is giving me that vibe about the Allure. I tend to think laces look better in darker tones. If you're not completely sold on either one, keep looking.  You have plenty of time.  If you go the designer route, you'll want to order by the 9 month mark to be safe.  Designer gowns can take 4-6 months to come in and then you need time for alterations.  (I wore an Allure gown and it took about 6 months to come in after I ordered it). The dress I wore was lucky #13 that I tried on. I kept looking at it on the hanger but dismissed it because it was heavily beaded lace and I didn't think I wanted that. My consultant urged me to try it on and I am so glad I did. I knew it was the dress when I was in the dressing room and then I walked out and my friend was all "squeee."
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty obsessed with all the Allure gowns, but that's because I love lace and am not into the "poofy" gowns.  I really love your dress; I've noticed it before in your posts and wondered if it was Allure.  The Allure one definitely is a little more unique than the Sottero. And I definitely would get an ivory color in any dress I get because I am very very pale and I agree it looks better than the white. I guess since I have plenty of time I can look around a little more. Thanks for your advice!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_cant-decide-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:16c3bd05-d623-4ee2-94fa-f44a7703332ePost:67c3373c-185d-48d4-9e84-bb0c1355f037">Re: Can't Decide!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm with Duds. I like the Allure better.   I won't respond about the keep looking part.  My wedding is in 60 days and I have a dress hanging in my closet and I am still looking.  It's torture.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

Ouch, that's what I'm afraid of by looking this early haha.  My cousin got a dress for her wedding then ended up selling it because she found another she liked better.  I feel weird about posting pictures of me trying on dresses but mostly everyone I showed the pictures of me in the dresses agreed the strapless is a better fit for me.  But I'm still not ready to let go of the Allure.  Who knows, maybe I need to try on a satin ballgown.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_cant-decide-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:16c3bd05-d623-4ee2-94fa-f44a7703332ePost:da1ec4c9-7d98-412e-b7bf-991acc7a5d81">Re: Can't Decide!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I LOVE the Allure! It's so elegant. Lovely. Truly lovely.
    Posted by Lizzieyounce[/QUOTE]

Thanks, it really is such a great dress.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_cant-decide-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:16c3bd05-d623-4ee2-94fa-f44a7703332ePost:1032f6fc-0497-4508-a75e-d1c6ecbbf6a8">Re: Can't Decide!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can't Decide! : Ouch, that's what I'm afraid of by looking this early haha.  My cousin got a dress for her wedding then ended up selling it because she found another she liked better.  I feel weird about posting pictures of me trying on dresses but mostly everyone I showed the pictures of me in the dresses agreed the strapless is a better fit for me.  But I'm still not ready to let go of the Allure.  Who knows, maybe I need to try on a satin ballgown.
    Posted by avolker1[/QUOTE]

I only bought mine in February...    and bought another one at a sample sale in June and then sold the one I bought at the sample sale.  Honestly... I don't think I would be this crazy if it had taken longer or my dress to arrive.  I ordered it in Feb and it arrived at the beginning of March.  The salon said that sometimes, you just get lucky.  I thought it was a bad sign... somehow, no one else wanted that dress so it was just sitting on a shelf somewhere and they shipped it to me.    Two different salons said that if it is a very recent design, they sometimes get the more quickly, because they are trying to make them to send out as samples.    And if an order comes in for one...they send it there first.   So, who knows.  All I know... is that short turnaround turned me into crazybride.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_cant-decide-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:16c3bd05-d623-4ee2-94fa-f44a7703332ePost:fa205155-1576-48fa-b9e0-6aac9da7291c">Re: Can't Decide!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can't Decide! :   I'm pretty obsessed with all the Allure gowns, but that's because I love lace and am not into the "poofy" gowns.  I really love your dress; I've noticed it before in your posts and wondered if it was Allure.  The Allure one definitely is a little more unique than the Sottero. And I definitely would get an ivory color in any dress I get because I am very very pale and I agree it looks better than the white. I guess since I have plenty of time I can look around a little more. Thanks for your advice!
    Posted by avolker1[/QUOTE]

You pretty  much pinpointed exactly what I was looking for in my dress...I looked and looked and finally found it...it seems to me you have as well...especially if you are partial to Allure...Keep looking if you feel that it will help you decide, but if lace and not poofy is what you're looking for, I can almost guarantee the Allure won't be topped, unless you go up in price range.  Good luck!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I like the Maggie dress, but I am bias to Maggies because I love her style, quality of dresses and i ordered a maggie dress. The Alure is nice, but to me the lace in person looks nicer on maggie dresses. It is truely you decision which one makes you feel beautiful! Again both are nice! I tried on my maggie dress 5 times before making a decision. I wanted to see others to make sure and the last and final time I knew for sure it was the one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I also prefer the Allure.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I prefer the Allure in the picture, but it would really depend on which one looks better on you personally. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Can't Decide!:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can't Decide!:In Response to Re: Can't Decide! : Ouch, that's what I'm afraid of by looking this early haha.nbsp; My cousin got a dress for her wedding then ended up selling it because she found another she liked better.nbsp; I feel weird about posting pictures of me trying on dresses but mostly everyone I showed the pictures of me in the dresses agreed the strapless is a better fit for me.nbsp; But I'm still not ready to let go of the Allure.nbsp; Who knows, maybe I need to try on a satin ballgown.Posted by avolker1I only bought mine in February...nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; and bought another one at a sample sale in June and then sold the one I bought at the sample sale.nbsp; Honestly... I don't think I would be this crazy if it had taken longer or my dress to arrive.nbsp; I ordered it in Feb and it arrived at the beginning of March.nbsp; The salon said that sometimes, you just get lucky.nbsp; I thought it was a bad sign... somehow, no one else wanted that dress so it was just sitting on a shelf somewhere and they shipped it to me.nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; Two differentnbsp;salons said that if it is a very recent design, they sometimes get the more quickly, because they are trying to make them to send out as samples.nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; And if an order comes in for one...they send it there first.nbsp;nbsp; So, who knows.nbsp; All I know... is that short turnaround turned me into crazybride. Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

Trust me I over think everything too so I'd be the same way. Every time I look at the pictures of me in the dresses I have a new favorite hah. I hate my indecisive nature! That's why I'm a little afraid to bring more dresses into the mix!
  • Options
    GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    The Allure gown totally goes with the vibe of your venue (as per your other post). I love it!!
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Can't Decide!:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can't Decide!:In Response to Re: Can't Decide! : nbsp; I'm pretty obsessed with all the Allure gowns, but that's because I love lace and am not into the "poofy" gowns.nbsp; I really love your dress; I've noticed it before in your posts and wondered if it was Allure.nbsp; The Allure one definitely is a little more unique than the Sottero. And I definitely would get an ivoryIcolor in any dress I get because I am very very pale and I agree it looks better than the white. I guess since I have plenty of time I can look around a little more. Thanks for your advice!Posted by avolker1You prettynbsp; much pinpointed exactly what I was looking for in my dress...I looked and looked and finally found it...it seems to me you have as well...especially if you are partial to Allure...Keep looking if you feel that it will help you decide, but if lace and not poofy is what you're looking for, I can almost guarantee the Allure won't be topped, unless you go up in price range.nbsp; Good luck!! Posted by rsaleh84[/QUOTE]

Very true! Allure is exactly the types of dresses I like and are right in my price range so I can't do anything much more expensive. I think I'll continue to pick very similar style dresses even if I keep looking.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Can't Decide!:[QUOTE]The Allure gown totally goes with the vibe of your venue as per your other post. I love it!! Posted by Giaspo[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! I love the elegant look that's simple but still beautiful.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Can't Decide!:[QUOTE]I like the Maggie dress, but I am bias to Maggies because I love her style, quality of dresses and i ordered a maggie dress. The Alure is nice, but to me the lace in person looks nicer on maggie dresses. It is truely you decision which one makes you feel beautiful! Again both are nice! I tried on my maggie dress 5 times before making a decision. I wanted to see others to make sure and the last and final time I knew for sure it was the one! Posted by pittpoint1119[/QUOTE]

The picture of the Maggie does not do it justice. My family loved how it looked on me. The allure was really big on me and since I have a larger chest it was hanging too much in the front. When I pulled the straps tight it looked good but it's so hard to judge when you're trying on samples that are not tailored to your body.
  • Options
    From the two stock photos, I like the Allure better. 
  • Options
    i like the first one the best. but if the second one looks great on you and you wanted straps why not go for that one?
  • Options
    Well the Maggie fit me very well but the allure would need to be pulled together a little in front and straps tightened a lot, plus I would need some sort of cup sewn into the dress for support. So because the Maggie is much more structured it looked a lot better on me off the rack. It was difficult to get the full effect of the allure the way the sample fit. The back is amazing though. I also love the sheer straps. The Maggie does look amazing in person too; the dresses are just great for different reasons so it's hard to choose.
  • Options
    I like the Allure. I prefer the lace to the Maggie. The Allure has a more delicate look to me and I like the top.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Both are beautiful! I really like the maggie dress still. I know the Allure one has been pulled back tight which is fine. I think it is really your call on do you want straps or no straps? Do you want your chect showing more or not? I deff like the belt you added with it! Good Luck

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you! At first I was against strapless because I thought I'd be pulling up the dress all night, but when I tried it on and realized how structured it is and that it's flattering on me I liked it. We totally added the belt on a whim and it went perfectly with the dress.
  • Options
    Both dresses are stunning.  I can see why you are debating.  I think the Maggie is more flattering on you, but both look great.  Consider the corset top might be a nice thing to have in case you gain or lose weight/muscle.  Plus it will save you time and money on alterations.  The maggie will be easier for undergarments, as well. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_cant-decide-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:16c3bd05-d623-4ee2-94fa-f44a7703332ePost:2d09661c-d438-409c-8b09-019f49507c00">Re: Can't Decide!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Both dresses are stunning.  I can see why you are debating.  I think the Maggie is more flattering on you, but both look great.  Consider the corset top might be a nice thing to have in case you gain or lose weight/muscle.  Plus it will save you time and money on alterations.  The maggie will be easier for undergarments, as well. 
    Posted by nextrightthing[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Yes the strapless styles tend to flatter my body more than the other cuts, but just comparing the 2 dresses I prefer the Allure's style.  I wish I could see how it would look properly fitted and with some support added to the chest.  I think I'm going to call other salons because there are a couple other Allure styles I want to try that they didn't have at that particular place.  You make a good point though, the Maggie would require less alterations.
  • Options
    I like the Maggie Sottero dress. Plus, it sounds like it's more flattering on you than the other (from what you've described). Stop second guessing yourself. Both dresses are beautiful but you should go with the one that flatters your figure the best. 

We all have ideas about what we like or don't like, until we try them on we're never truly sure. I don't know about you, but this is exactly what happened when I selected my engagement ring... so I suspect it could happen again with the dress. 

Try them on again and which ever one makes you feel the best (i.e. beautiful, gorgeous, sexy, princessy, bridal, comfortable, classy, chic, elegant, etc.) order that dress and then accessorize! 

good luck :)

Anniversary
  • Options
    I like the Maggie Sottero dress. Plus, it sounds like it's more flattering on you than the other (from what you've described). Stop second guessing yourself. Both dresses are beautiful but you should go with the one that flatters your figure the best. 

We all have ideas about what we like or don't like, until we try them on we're never truly sure. I don't know about you, but this is exactly what happened when I selected my engagement ring... so I suspect it could happen again with the dress. 

Try them on again and which ever one makes you feel the best (i.e. beautiful, gorgeous, sexy, princessy, bridal, comfortable, classy, chic, elegant, etc.) order that dress and then accessorize! 

good luck :)

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards