New Hampshire
Options

CHICA

I would be VERY curious to hear you school's stance on plagiarism and what the discipline would be. Do you mind sharing?

Re: CHICA

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It's a "Level Three" offense, although there is no published academic honesty policy. 
    A L3 is eligible for OSS or ISS at the discretion of the administration. I'm hoping for at least a day of ISS (that sounds bad, huh?).  

I'm going to pull the two students in tomorrow and ask them if there is anything they would like to tell me. Then i'll show them the two projects that are clearly the same and tell them it is my responsibility to refer them to administration. I'm also going to tell them about academic honesty policies in college and the consequences of plagiarism - hopefully it will scare the crap out of them.

I'm hoping the administration takes it seriously. It's pretty blatant (the assignment was a 10-entry journal about Flowers for Algernon written from the POV of another character in the story - we read the abridged version in middle school). 

What does your school do?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ::hijacking post::
    Whatever you all can do to convince your administration this is a serious offence is important.
    This year I've had a run of copied essays submitted for MEDICAL school - some of these students are otherwise stellar - and at the point of discovery, it's over for them. No second chances, all that PreMed out the window, their medical career is dead. It's a liability to our accreditation to EVER consider a student who submitted someone else's work as their own.  I'm sure it wasn't their first time it's just a shame that the first time they got caught was on something with such dire consequences. 
    ::off my soapbox::
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but with new educational philosophies coming down the pike -schools are moving toward a policy where students get a "do-over". Unfortunately - this is a completely separate philosophy of our colleges.

last year. He had It has already come to my school. I had a notorious plagiarizerplagiarized in every class he had been in. Sure enough he tried to pass of a Shakespeare sonnet as his own. (Ugh) In the handbook it stated that a student would receive a minimum of a zero and could possibly be suspended for such an infraction. When I tried to suspend him I was told by administration, "That will never happen. That policy is only in there to protect you." I fail to see how it protects me - it only makes me look like an ass.

So  that policy has since been taken out of the handbook and we are no longer allowed to give zeros for ANY assignment.

We even had to read this terrible book that talks about how our current grading policies do not reflect "true/pure" grades because we "punish" students with deductions for late work and academic dishonesty.

So - to sum it up - I am no longer allowed to fail a student if he/she plagiarizes. I can contact a parent and the student gets a "re-do".

Just wait Chica . . and Danto - HELP!!! Cry
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My department head said it was a department policy to give the students a zero, so I did.
    She and I pulled the two kids in and they admitted everything. One boy even said that he figured the other would "change a few things to trick you."  Um, I didn't spend 6 years in post-secondary school and get two degrees to get tricked by a bunch of 8th graders. Nice try.
    I understand the philosophy behind "do-overs." I am more interested in what the students know and can produce than I am in punishing them. However, academic honesty is a big piece of "your chance to show what you know."  These students really messed up. 
    Unless my administration or department head tells me I have to offer it, I don't plan on offering a "do-over." I gave at least 3 days of class for the students to work on the project. There is no excuse for not understanding the assignment and not asking for help (not that the student who plagiarized said he was confused). 
    We were given an article about zeros and why we use them. For every zero I give, I offer a "do-over," but I feel that plagiarism is malicious intent and should be exempt from the opportunity.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with you.

If I steal a colleagues work in the "real world" and try to pass it off as my onw I will loose my credibility and could possibly lose my job.

What am I teaching a kid if time after time all he gets is a slap on the wrist and a "re-do"? It's infuriating.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    YES. I basically instilled the fear of God in them when I told them about what happens in college if you plagiarize. I really hope that this push for slapping on the wrists doesn't come to our school. A "re-do" isn't fair to the other students that completely the assignment honestly. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Does your school pay for turnitin.com?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure...I have heard of the site though. I'll check on Monday - I'm going to a conference tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I kept wondering how these students could think it okay to do this on a medical school application.  Now I see that the teachers trying to instill character are having their hands tied by administrators. 

A friend of mine has her 6th graders turn in all theirs papers with a 'turnitin report' so the student knows ahead of time if they're turning suspicious work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards