Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

What shall the guys wear?

I always see at weddings where the groom is wearing either a white or silver shirt/vest/tie and the groomsmen are in whatever the designated color is. I had the notion of perhaps reversing it and having the groom in blue our color and the groomsmen in white or silver. My fianc thinks it's silly. My reasoning is that then, for pictures of the two of us, there's still a pop of that blue color and then for group photos, the girls are in their blue dresses and the guys are in white or silver, a nice little alternating of colors.

Is this actually a silly idea? Has anyone done this before? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Re: What shall the guys wear?

• Options
    I think you should do whatever makes you happy. However, take your husband's feedback seriously because, from my own experience, men don't get particular about very many things in a wedding. If he wants to wear the traditional black or white tie I would let him, this is his wedding too and what he will be wearing after all.

My fiance is adamant about us having red velvet cake at the wedding. He wouldn't let me leave the house to go to the cake tasting without PROMISING him I would get red velvet cake. Pick your battles! haha :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh definitely! He's been an absolute sport about the wedding planning and really wants to be involved. He just made it sound like my idea was completely off the deep end and I didn't know if it really was such a crazy idea or if couples out there had flipflopped who's wearing a colored vest/tie and who's wearing silver or white. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    My guys will most likely be wearing grey suits. I think I like the idea of my FI having an orange tie to bring in our colors (the bout will probably be orange as well). The other guys I haven't decided if they will have grey, black or orange ties. The ladies will have grey dresses with orange flowers.  I do not think your idea is far off the deep end.
    Sept. 13 March Siggy Challenge: hair inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_what-shall-the-guys-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:1bdab571-8b9c-4ed6-9d23-3d419914206ePost:0dca1316-8f57-4c4a-919d-b91dcc0dbc5b">What shall the guys wear?</a>:
    [QUOTE]... the groom is wearing either a white or silver shirt/vest/tie and the groomsmen are in whatever the designated color is. I had the notion of perhaps reversing it and having the groom in blue our color and the groomsmen in white or silver. [/QUOTE]

Do you mean have your FI wear the *tie* in the colour? The vest? The shirt? That would make a difference to me, personally.

For example: black suit with black vest, white shirt, blue tie - good
    Black suit with blue vest, white shirt blue tie - maybe...
    black suit with black vest, blue shirt, black tie - meh...

BUUUUUT

Do what makes you and him happy...and like PP have said, if he really wants something and you are happy either way, let him have the final say in it. My guy does NOT want to wear a green tie...he wants burgundy/dark red. I'm not terribly fond of it, but hey he hasn't cared either way about anything else! So I keep my pale grassy green accents, and add a brick red accent to the t'cloth runners and florals, and he get his red tie and we're all happy!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I as thinking either black suit, black vest, white shirt and blue tie or black suit, white shirt, blue vest and blue tie... He definitely doesn't need to blued out like crazy, I just thought him having a pop of blue would be a nice little changeup from the norm. Haven't even started looking at tuxes yet, so of course this all depends on the style he chooses. Just wanted to gather some thoughts and ideas. Thanks!
  • Options
    Do what makes you happy. My fiance will be in charcoal grey with a pink tie!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards