Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Dress during reception?

I am nervous about wearing my dress during dinner and dancing.  I just paid 600 dollars for my dress I don't want to stain it.   My family tells me people usually don't change, but I thought it could be done. I know a store will sell me extra clothes if I want, but do people do this? Messy

Re: Dress during reception?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-during-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:1d477263-136d-466a-bae4-10c848868dc4Post:dbb1e46c-a108-4d0d-a4e7-d81e476b6620">Dress during reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am nervous about wearing my dress during dinner and dancing.  I just paid 600 dollars for my dress I don't want to stain it.   My family tells me people usually don't change, but I thought it could be done. <strong>I know a store will sell me extra clothes if I want, but do people do this? Messy</strong>
    Posted by olivia138[/QUOTE]

What?

People change all the time after the ceremony, personally I don't see the point. Why buy a gown to wear it for an hour or two? My parents bought me my dream gown at an nightmare of a price (it was $800 more then I wanted to spend) and regardless, I plan on wearing my gown as much as possible, dinner, dancing and to the after party!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I didnt answer your poll because yes some people change, but most dont.

I spent quite a bit on my dress and I wore it for almost 13 hours. Never once did I think of taking it off, we did a 3 hr photo shoot in historic Charleston and finished with a 4 course meal and dancing. 

Put a bustle in the back and have fun.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Sure you can change, but most people don't. Although your argument is that you don't want to spill on an expensive dress, to me, I see it as, If I just spent this much money on a dress, why would I only want to wear it for an hour and then have it probably hang in a closet or be in a box for years to come? I would rather wear it as much as I possibly could on my wedding day and really "get my money's worth" so to speak.

Vacation
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. Its not against the "rules" or anything, but I only get to wear this dress once so I plan on wearing it as long as possible! Most dry cleaners can get out stuff like dirt on the bottom and as for spilling anything on it, I'd just use a napkin in your lap and then if something does spill, have a Tide pen in your stash just in case.
  • Options
    Let's be honest when are you planning on wearing your dress again that you're worried about staining it. Wear it all night.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-during-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:1d477263-136d-466a-bae4-10c848868dc4Post:dbb1e46c-a108-4d0d-a4e7-d81e476b6620">Dress during reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am nervous about wearing my dress during dinner and dancing.  I just paid 600 dollars for my dress I don't want to stain it.   My family tells me people usually don't change, but I thought it could be done. I know a store will sell me extra clothes if I want, but do people do this? Messy
    Posted by olivia138[/QUOTE]

<div>1. I get that you are concerned about it getting stained, but you only get to wear this gown ONCE. If that's you're only reason for wanting to change, I wouldn't. It's a beautiful gown that you won't get to wear again. Wear the crap of it (also, stick to clear liquids  like white wine and water to avoid stains) </div><div>
    </div><div>2. I don't understand waht you mean by "sell me extra clothes" .. um.. yes.. retails stores.. often .. sell clothes? </div><div>Are you wanting a receptiong dress or something? THey will sell you as many dresses as you want.. It's retail..? </div><div>
    </div><div>3. You are ALLOWED to do whatevertheheck you WANT. It's your wedding.. There are no laws that make it illegal for you to not wear your wedding gown at certain points... ? </div>
  • Options
    Yes, you are allowed to change.  And yes, getting a reception dress is becoming popular now.  But my question is you are worried that your $600 wedding dress will become stained or ruined during your reception but you aren't worried that a $300 or whatever price reception dress won't?

I couldn't have imagined changing out of my dress because I loved it so much.  I even went out to a local bar after my reception ended in my dress because I wanted to wear it longer.  Heck I would wear it to work if I could but that would be slightly odd to do.

You can do whatever you want but I think spending $600 on a dress you only plan on wearing for maybe an hour is a waste of money.

• Options
    You're ALLOWED.

But I think it's silly.
  • Options
    You are going to wear your dress once. Why not wear it as long as possible?? I dont understand why you wouldnt want to wear it during the reception, not wanting to stain it is a horrible reason
  • Options
    You get to wear the dress for one day. Why not leave it on? Live it up!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am not sure what all the "rules" are - but I am having an outdoor ceremony and reception.  My mom is making my dress and will be making a replica of it only shorter and in red for me for the reception. 

It's not that I'm afraid of getting my dress dirty, I am sure it will either way, but love the idea of having the same dress only in Red =)  for my reception.  
  • Options
    I didn't answer your poll because it wasn't the right question.  Yes, of course you are allowed to change.  Should you?  That's really up to you.

Like most of the girls, I loved my dress and wanted to wear it as long as I possibly could, especially for how much I spent on it.  I bustled it for the reception to protect the train, and made sure to place a napkin on my lap while eating (I did have a Tide To-Go pen in my 'emergency' kit, though I never needed it).  It wasn't very difficult at all to keep it clean, so if that's the only reason to want to change your dress, it seems a little silly to me.  But it's really up to you, if you are that concerned about it, then by all means, get a reception dress.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I also didn't answer because of the wording. Are you allowed? Yes. Should you? That depends. Your reasoning to me would be a no. People wear their dresses all night and have no problem. I was even at a wedding where the bride was eating spaghetti in her dress. She wore a bib, so maybe that's an idea. Sure it might look funny, but it might help if you're eating something messy (or just a messy eater I guess).

Just don't carry around a dark colored drink onto the dance floor or something like that, less chance of spillage. Have things like a stain remover stick or club soda or something on hand just in case. I understand the fear of bumping into someone and getting a huge red wine stain on your dress. But as long as you're careful, you should be fine.

If it's in your budget and you REALLY want a second reception dress, go for it, but I really don't think you need one IMO.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    My dress Galina Signature SWG9902 is nearly impossible to bustle without messing with the pattern or bulking the dress, so i do have a reception dress on back up incase my gown gets to be too much or people are stepping on it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    also we have an after party being thrown for us at a bar so I will NOT wear my gown there
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-during-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:1d477263-136d-466a-bae4-10c848868dc4Post:d1afdf75-3d4b-4afc-a39f-799ada5f2b70">Re: Dress during reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not sure what all the "rules" are - but I am having an outdoor ceremony and reception.  My mom is making my dress and will be making a replica of it only shorter and in red for me for the reception.  It's not that I'm afraid of getting my dress dirty, I am sure it will either way, but love the idea of having the same dress only in Red =)  for my reception.  
    Posted by stacywashington[/QUOTE]
    I think this is really cool!!  You'll have to post pics!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards