Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

What shoes to wear when going dress shopping

I'm 5'3" without shoes on (or with flip flops) and when I try on my dresses and get it altered etc, should I bring the shoes I plan on wearing on my wedding day so that they can make the dress the appropriate length?  Does that mean I should pick out my shoes before I pick out the dress?  Or, should I guess about what heel height l'll probably have?

Help!

Re: What shoes to wear when going dress shopping

• Options
    I went to David's bridal and they had shoes I could wear.  The dress may dictate the exact shoe you buy to go with it.  I'd go with the approximate heel height for trying on but have the actual shoes when you go in for alterations. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm short too so I wore heels when I went wedding dress shopping. Just so I could get an idea of how it would look on my wedding day. After I found the one and ordered it I started shopping for my shoes that I would wear during my wedding. So you can definitely pick out your dress before your shoes, but buy your shoes before you have alterations done!
  • Options
    I don't think you need the actual shoes you'll wear on your wedding day for picking out the dress.  Most places will have heels you can wear, but you can also bring your own if that makes you more comfortable.  Definitely have your actual wedding day shoes when you get fitted for the alterations.
  • Options
    i wore flip flops while dress shopping.

you don't need heels until you're in the alterations stage.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_shoes-wear-going-dress-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:219d70c2-1e27-477d-a3a6-5f5fe59ba32ePost:e37ab45c-e3c1-4cc0-974d-358e99b65dbc">Re: What shoes to wear when going dress shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]i wore flip flops while dress shopping. you don't need heels until you're in the alterations stage.
    Posted by amandajean36[/QUOTE]

this! I wore whatever when dress shopping. But make sure you have the shoes you will wear on your wedding day when you go in for your first fitting.
  • Options
    I wore comfortable shoes so that I would be distracted from the dresses at all and wouldn't get exhausted too soon. They typically have a pedestal or something to stand on so that the dress doesn't just pool at your feet and you can see how the dress looks from head to hem. Agree with PP about having your shoes for your 1st fitting.
  • Options
    I was barefoot! I wouldn't pick out shoes until you have your dress. You are only an inch taller than me so I think with most dresses, you will have to order the 'short' length that is offered (and probably not a sample in the store) so the shoes might be pointless anyway while trying on dresses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards