Attire & Accessories Forum

How should I prepare bridesmaid dresses for my girls?!!!

At fisrt, I want to purchase 4 dresses in same color and style from tulleandchantilly.com, I bought my wedding dress there, the dress is simple without embellishment, full length (I want to custom them to the Tea length and the purple or pink), I think that would be perfect! But yesterday, one of my bridesmaids say she wants their dresses appear a little different in colors and lengths, what do you think about the situation, would it be weird to have different bridesmaid dresses?  I afraid the shoots will not look that great...

Re: How should I prepare bridesmaid dresses for my girls?!!!

• My girls wore different dresses in the same color and length.  They picked dresses and styles they were comfortable in, and they all looked gorgeous.  These girls are your nearest and dearest, not just props in your picture, so I would take their opinions into account. You can dictate the dress if you choose to do so (especially if you're paying for it), but I would find a dress that all the girls are comfortable in.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_how-should-i-prepare-bridesmaid-dresses-for-my-girls?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:29decd46-184d-4df9-b3ed-e2b84caf7727Post:3149a94f-eb30-465f-82c2-cbff79cccbac">Re: How should I prepare bridesmaid dresses for my girls?!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it is nice to dicate a dress without letting everyone try it on and see how they feel in it first. Your BMs aren't going be relaxed and happy in pictures if they feel ugly in their dresses. A nice option, that still looks very coordinated in pictures, is to give them a designer, color, and fabric and let them pick the style of dress that suits them. Many brides have done this, there are lots of pictures on the internet, and I think it looks better than when all the BMs are dressed up like cloned dolls. Just a side note about tea length, tea length shortens the leg, so unless your girls are very long-legged that length is likely to make them look shorter and heavier.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

<div>Pretend I said all this too.</div>
  • You should definitely let them have some say. Like Lia said, you want your wedding party to feel beautiful. What if someone picked your wedding dress for you and made you wear it and you were not as comfortable in it as you could be? Having different dresses will not ruin the overall look that you envision for your wedding. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Listen to Lia. I was sent a link to a dress that the bride thought was really pretty but I felt frumpy and not at all pretty in it. Your plan isn't very considerate. You should definitely be asking their budget before you tell them what dress to buy.

Also, having matchy matchy bridesmaids is very 80s.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_how-should-i-prepare-bridesmaid-dresses-for-my-girls?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:29decd46-184d-4df9-b3ed-e2b84caf7727Post:77675b56-4251-40cc-828e-b3f1910e30b9">How should I prepare bridesmaid dresses for my girls?!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE] But yesterday, one of my bridesmaids say she wants their dresses appear a little different in colors and lengths, what do you think about the situation, would it be weird to have different bridesmaid dresses?  I afraid the shoots will not look that great...
    Posted by AnnieFair[/QUOTE]

I agree with the PP's comment about matcy-matchy.

I think variation in the dresses can look really pretty; Slightly different dresses of varying hue, but all in the same color look great, imo.  Personally, I don't like varying lengths, but that is another option as well.

No one likes being uncomfortable in a dress, in front of a ton of people, and then having to endure a photo session.  As others have suggested, perhaps pick a color and length, and then let your 'maids find dresses that they feel great in.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I think if you choose to go different styles, the same color and length is a must. On the one hand, I personally find it inconsiderate that your BM is trying to change your vision. On the other hand, it was important to me that all my bridesmaids felt comfortable in the dress I chose. If its a matter of people not being comfortable in the style, then you might want to consider, but if its simply her pushing her vision on you, then I don't think you need to reconsider.

• edited March 2013
    Thanks so much for all suggestion here:) Your guys are all enthusiastic!!! I will let my BMs choose their own styles, and they like that chiffon dress, since I will pay for them, my friends all agree to purchase there with affordable price!

Because my BM have totally different personalities and looks, I have just decided on one colour, then they can select the best shade of that colour and style to suit them! plus it's really nice to have thier input too since my mind is clouded with so many other thoughts! Good luck with the rest of the planning!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_how-should-i-prepare-bridesmaid-dresses-for-my-girls?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:29decd46-184d-4df9-b3ed-e2b84caf7727Post:cb6f7647-40e9-4479-b5ec-df2ecbfa90c3">Re: How should I prepare bridesmaid dresses for my girls?!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Annie Fair is a vendor.  Check her other posts. Reported to Maggie. GET LOST.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]
    I don't see anything in her posting history that indicates that she is a vendor.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards