Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Improving the fit of my engagement ring

I have very petite fingers (my engagement ring is a size 4.5), and a gorgeous solitaire ring. I LOVE my ring, but wearing it drives me a bit crazy sometimes. When I'm somewhere warm, my fingers swell and it fits perfectly. When I'm in air conditioning (and, I would imagine, in cold weather), however, my fingers get smaller and the ring easily moves around on my finger.

Getitng it resized is probably a bad idea; it won't slide off or anything, and it is snug during the summer. I know that there are things I can put on the ring to temporarily adjust the size -- plastic things -- and I would like to get some of those to improve my ring's fit whenever I feel like it's starting to slide around.

Where can I find things like that? I asked in Target this evening and the woman behind the jewelry counter looked at me like I was crazy. I would imagine that I should be able to get them at a discount department store....

Or is there something better for a temporary resize that I don't know about?

Re: Improving the fit of my engagement ring

• Options
    Try a shop like Claire's.  We have one in our mall it has cheap jewelry & ear piercing.  I bought a couple packages when I first got my ring because I didn't want to send it off to get it sized.

I have some of your same problem.  The jeweler sized my ring finger to a 5, but it was too tight when my hands swelled... almost on a daily basis. I up-sized it to 5.25 and it still was painful on hot days, the last size up was a 5.5.  I love how it fits, but when my hands are cold it does tend to slip some. I would rather it slip that hurt my fingers when they are swelled.

Have you thought about sizing it to a 4.25?
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree on Claire's or a similar store.  When is your wedding?  I have the exact same problem, except I have fat fingers that I like to blame on playing basketball so my ring is an 8.  When I got it the ring was a 6.75 and it was wearable but tight.  I knew I needed it sized before summer.  When it is really hot and humid out it fits perfect, but on a day like today when its cooler it slides all over the place.  I also have a solitaire, and as I'm typing it has actually slid underneath my hand. 

I really want to size it, but with the wedding in a month I am just going to wait since I know it will fit differently once I wear my wedding band and have 2 rings on that finger.  After that if its still a little snug I'll go down a size.  Its definitely a tough decision though since it is annoying when sliding but you don't want it too tight.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Good question!  I have the same problem.  Guess I need to go to the mall soon.
  • Options
    I had the same problem with my ring. I took it back to the jeweler we got it from and they attached some metal balls to the inside of the band to help make it fit better, Maybe your jeweler can do something like that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine is like that too but now that I have my wedding band it doesn't move around so much.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm sure it'll fit better once you have your wedding band with it. Don't get it adjusted too tight right now becuase once the band is with it (assuming you have a band) it will make a difference.
  • Options
    Same with my ring! Mine is a 6 and I really needed a little smaller. If i'm in the office and my hands are cold it would slide right off. I got the clear plastic sizer from Claire's because I'm not ready to hand it pver to a jeweler to be sized yet! It works well for right now!
  • Options

Before I got my engagement ring sized, it was way too big. I just went to Wal*Mart & asked the girl at the jewelry counter. They had a little package of "ring snuggies" that just slide on the back side of your ring. It came with a variety of sized in the package so you could use the one that worked best for you. They are clear soft rubber material so they don't feel that uncomfy.  Oh & they were cheap too, under 5 bucks.  Hope that helps :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    my ring was originally about 3/4 of a size too big.
    however, ive recently started to learn to play the violin, and my fingers have gotten bigger- so it fits better now, lol.

but i have the same problem with hot and cold. its rather obnoxious.
  • Options
    I also have a solitaire that would swing around a lot. I got a little metal piece on eBay to put inside the ring to tighten the fit, but I couldn't figure out how to use it so I didn't bother (it was only about $2 with shipping, though, so not a big loss). There are also small plastic pieces that you can put on the back of the ring (on your palm side), but those can be seen.

Like PPs said, once I got married and the wedding band went underneath it, I rarely have that issue anymore. If it's not a huge issue right now, you could wait to see how it works out once you're wearing your wedding ring with it, and then take it from there.
  • Options
    I hear ya... my finger is a 3.5 and a lot of days my ring is still loose. I was told by the jeweler that Claire's carries them, but I have yet to stop in there.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was looking for one as well and had looked at Walmart but they did not have any. The lady there told me to try an actually jewelry store like the ones in the mall. I also looked online and found some that you can buy for pretty cheap. I have not gotten one yet though.
  • Options
    I have the same problem.  Everyone says that when you soder (sp?) your rings together, it adds a little thickness to the ring to make it a little smaller.  That should help adjust it by less than 1/4 size.
  • Options
    I just recently went to get my ring cleaned and the jeweler freaked out bc my ring was SO big..it actually has fallen off before. She told me to go to Claire's and ask for these little rubber tubes that go around the bottom of the ring..they come in a pack and have different sizes. I can't remember what they're called, but I just asked the lady at Clarie's and she knew what I meant right away. It was like 5 or 6 bucks. Both the jewler and the lady at Clarie's said it won't scratch or hurt my ring, and I had it inspected a couple of days ago and everything is fine with it. It feels SO MUCH BETTER not having to keep my hand closed all the time. Good luck!
    "The best thing about loving and being hurt is that you get to know what true love really is. For as gold is tested in fire, and so will love be perfected in pain."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Planning Bio/Blog

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I found mine at Walmart, although the first one I went to was sold out of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards