Attire & Accessories Forum

Matching Bride and Groom Wedding Outfits

Hi there!

I was wondering what your opinions would be if the bride and groom's wedding day outfits didn't match - like, at all?

I bought a lace dress with a gold sash, and he wants to wear a grey suit with a blue shirt and red tie. Aside from him choosing a really bad colour combination for wedding (I picture a blue shirt and red tie on an older business man, not a groom), would it look fine if we were wearing different colours?

We're only having 8 guests, so I know they won't care, but I was just wondering for our photos. Do you think it would clash horribly in our photos if I had a gold/white outfit and he wore grey and blue?

It would also be lovely to see how you all matched your outfits, so please feel free to post photos of your outfits!

Re: Matching Bride and Groom Wedding Outfits

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_matching-bride-and-groom-wedding-outfits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:3b5bcace-6713-4be1-9f28-f30dc9b6dcf9Post:47a23ac2-dd32-4f80-bfcc-66886854d603">Matching Bride and Groom Wedding Outfits</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi there! I was wondering what your opinions would be if the bride and groom's wedding day outfits didn't match - like, at all? I bought a lace dress with a gold sash, and he wants to wear a grey suit with a blue shirt and red tie. Aside from him choosing a really bad colour combination for wedding (I picture a blue shirt and red tie on an older business man, not a groom), would it look fine if we were wearing different colours? We're only having 8 guests, so I know they won't care, but I was just wondering for our photos. Do you think it would clash horribly in our photos if I had a gold/white outfit and he wore grey and blue? It would also be lovely to see how you all matched your outfits, so please feel free to post photos of your outfits!
    Posted by perfectisboring[/QUOTE]

I don't think you need to match exactly, but complimentary colors would be nice.  If your dress was all white, or your sash was grey or red, I think it would be fine.  I also think he should nix the blue shirt and wear a white one. Maybe he can incorporate the blue into both of your flowers?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_matching-bride-and-groom-wedding-outfits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:3b5bcace-6713-4be1-9f28-f30dc9b6dcf9Post:061d2d58-179c-46fa-b5a7-7d5e15abed03">Re: Matching Bride and Groom Wedding Outfits</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Matching Bride and Groom Wedding Outfits : I don't think you need to match exactly, but complimentary colors would be nice.  If your dress was all white, or your sash was grey or red, I think it would be fine.  I also think he should nix the blue shirt and wear a white one. Maybe he can incorporate the blue into both of your flowers?
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

Ditto CMG. Everything she said. You don't need to "match" but you should "go"
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I definitely thing you should try to complement each other. Like previous posts have said maybe look into getting a blue, grey, or red sash and maybe having your flowers in red as well?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ooh I like the idea of having a grey sash. It would compliment my silver and pearl jewelry! When I get the dress altered, I can ask them to put a different bow on it. I'm hoping he doesn't go with the red tie, but I would gladly add blue to my bouquet so that we 'go' a bit better.

Thanks!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_matching-bride-and-groom-wedding-outfits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:3b5bcace-6713-4be1-9f28-f30dc9b6dcf9Post:f392bf04-98ae-427a-9d9f-d811c39103a4">Re: Matching Bride and Groom Wedding Outfits</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ooh I like the idea of having a grey sash. It would compliment my silver and pearl jewelry! When I get the dress altered, I can ask them to put a different bow on it. I'm hoping he doesn't go with the red tie, but I would gladly add blue to my bouquet so that we 'go' a bit better. Thanks!
    Posted by perfectisboring[/QUOTE]

Maybe if he insists on wearing the blue shirt, he can wear a white tie?  And you can incorporate the blues into your bouquet.  the red & blue thing sounds like he is going to a fourth of july party to me! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_matching-bride-and-groom-wedding-outfits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:3b5bcace-6713-4be1-9f28-f30dc9b6dcf9Post:f696b03d-78be-4b80-891a-244dbd736472">Re: Matching Bride and Groom Wedding Outfits</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matching Bride and Groom Wedding Outfits : Maybe if he insists on wearing the blue shirt, he can wear a white tie?  And you can incorporate the blues into your bouquet.  the red & blue thing sounds like he is going to a fourth of july party to me! 
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

Haha I know, right? Hopefully I can convince him that red and blue is not the way to go. It'd be nice to get him into this type of colour combo: <a href="http://www.asuitthatfits.com/shop/images/stories/jreviews/482__MG_3540_1241690745.JPG" rel="nofollow">http://www.asuitthatfits.com/shop/images/stories/jreviews/482__MG_3540_1241690745.JPG</a> but, we'll see!
  • I really don't think the bride and groom need to match.  White and gold are neutral enough to go with anything.

BUT... your groom's choice of colors, to me at least, is a bit of a problem.  At first, FI wanted some kind of colored shirt with his grey suit.  I kept trying to tell him white would look best.

Finally he tried on a grey suit with a white shirt and solid navy tie.  Now he's in love with the whole look, and knows I was right ;)

SaveSave
  • The only thing I would coordinate is shades of white (if both of you end up wearing white).  If your dress is ivory and his shirt/tie/whatever is stark white, your dress will look dingy in pictures. 
  • Thanks for all of your help, everyone! I've talked him down to a white shirt, navy blue tie and grey waistcoat. :) I'll change my sash to silver and include some blue in my bouquet.

In the process, we seem to have stumbled upon our wedding colours: blue and silver! Now, I know what to tell baker who's designing our cupcakes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards