Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Bustle?

This is probably a silly question, but I'm confused as to if bustling a dress is necessary. Does everyone do it?

Anniversary

Re: Bustle?

• Options
    I guess its really personal choice.  But, if you are going to have dancing at your reception,I would say its safer and you will be glad you did it.  Not only do you run the risk of tripping, you run the risk of people stepping all over your train....
  • Options
    I doubt I will have one added to mine.  I am only wearing it for ceremony, first dance, cake, dinner, those things.  After that when the "party" begins, I will be wearing a shorter dress.
  • Options
    If you don't have a long train, you can probably get away with not bustling it.

I definitely bustled mine and I appreciated it.  It didn't drag all along behind me, get stuck on things or have people step on it.
  • Options
    I agree, it's a personal choice and depends on the style of dress. My dress has a pretty significant train so I had to get one put in. I know I will be glad I don't have to drag and pull on it all night if I hadn't gotten a bustle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Depends on how long your train is. If it's long enought that you'll step on it (and possibly trip) when you turn around then I'd get a bustle added for sure. Also, it's very likely that guests will accidentally step on it during the reception.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Depends on your dress style and the length of the train. My dress has a train, and will definitely need to be bustled for the reception for dancing and such! There's different styles of bustling too - I would ask whoever is doing your alterations which type they'd reccomend for your dress style.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm confused about this as well.  My dress has a train but I kind of want to shorten is significantly (to a sweep train at longest) or get rid of it completely.  Alterations ladies talked me out of doing right away until they have hemmed it so that the length fits my height (the dress is WAAAAAY too long).  However looking at pictures of bustles is just making me want to do away with the train even more...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would look for good picture of bustles that you like and ask your tailor(s) to creats that sort of bustle if you wish it. also remember you do not have to go to the same place to get the bustle done that you baught the dress from! shop around I am sure you'll find someone who is able and willing to help you creats the bustle you want. Personally I have a very short train on my dress, but i definatly plan on having it bustled for the reception. however i had to hunt to find a tailor capable of doing the bustle how i want it.
  • Options
    It depends. If you're going to dance away and have only one dress, then I think you'll have to go for this way. As far as I'm concerned, I'll bustle my dress ;-)
    Do what you say, say what you do!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards