Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Wedding dress shopping on Friday....

Good morning!

On Friday I am meeting my mom half way between our houses( we live three hours apart) to shop for my bridal dresses at two locations with two appointments. I am not really into shopping. I am planning on bringing a strapless & low back bra and undies. I am 6'1 and my FI is 6'2 so I am not planning on wearing heals on my wedding day. 

What should I expect?
If I find something I like should I buy?
Any other advice?

Re: Wedding dress shopping on Friday....

• Options
    Keep an open mind and try on lots of silhouettes, because you never know what will look amazing on you. That said, if something looks like crap, don't let it get you down. It's just a dress, and there are thousands of others out there.

If you find something you really love, I'd suggest snapping a few pictures, waiting a couple of days, and thinking about it again. It can be easy to get wrapped up in the emotion of the moment or in the excitement of your mom being there and wind up with a dress you won't like later. That said, don't worry if you don't have that moment where you just KNOW it's the dress. It doesn't happen for all of us. Just enjoy the experience, and let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    My first time I wore a thong out of habit and was kind of uncomfortable.  I would recommend wearing something you don't mind other people seeing because you will need help getting in and out of dresses.  Also, don't worry about shoes now.  Once you pick the dress, then you'll pick the shoes and you can worry about hemming.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You might note, you may have to take the pictures on the sly - a lot of shops have strict policies against pictures until you purchase the gown.
  • Options
    Like the first poster said, try on all different silhouettes! So often I see women come in with an idea or a picture of a dress and "the one" turns out to be completely different. If you look at something on the hanger and it doens't thrill you but you see some element you like or are curious about, just try it on! You may be suprised.

Also, if you put on a dress you are immediately not comfortable in (cot comfortable in the way you wouldn't want anyone to see you in it or is doesn't feel like "you"), don't even come out of the fitting room with it. Sometimes well-meaning friends and relatives will get hooked on a dress that you really don't like. If you aren't comfortable, it shouldn't be a contender.
    Island Bride - Specializing in destination and outdoor wedding and bridesmaids gowns and beach themed gifts! http://www.islandbrideshop.com
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_wedding-dress-shopping-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:70dbd3b4-c7fa-4ffa-a4f2-912a693b9f25Post:ff289154-1441-4267-8a86-618b1b977f6b">Re: Wedding dress shopping on Friday....</a>:
    [QUOTE]You might note, you may have to take the pictures on the sly - a lot of shops have strict policies against pictures until you purchase the gown.
    Posted by skippylouwho[/QUOTE]

I was going to mention this. Try to hide a camera in your purse and take pics in the dressing room if you have too. And write down style numbers that you like so you can find them online if you can't take pics.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ohhhh good points! thank you! Keep em coming!

• Options
    I would look online at dress pictures to see if you can find ideas of what types of styles you might like... of course it could all change once you actually try the dresses on, but at least you'll get a feel for the many many options that are out there!

Also, make sure that you don't let anyone pressure you into thinking that you've found "the one." Your mom might love it, the consultant might love it... but if you don't get "that feeling," don't buy it! I tried to talk myself into many a dress because it took me so long to find mine. I'm so glad I didn't settle! And you see a lot of brides on here that end up buying second dresses because they bought the first dress when their mom/friends told them it was the one or because they found a good deal. don't be pressured! take your time. And try to enjoy it. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards