Attire & Accessories Forum

wedding dress size vs. "real" size

So I wear between a 16 and an 18 in regular clothes.  I went to try on dresses today and they could barely zip me into a 20!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: wedding dress size vs. "real" size

• It's just a number. More important is how you look and feel. Don't sweat it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_wedding-dress-size-vs-real-size?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:740426ae-55f7-425b-9b30-5a0454fa481aPost:fac63bdd-de9c-498b-baf5-8489f855e956">Re: wedding dress size vs. "real" size</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's just a number. More important is how you look and feel. Don't sweat it.
    Posted by ring_pop[/QUOTE]

Ditto, DONT let that bother you.  I think it's ridiculous, but it's how it is in the bridal world.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • lolamarylolamary member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I think their sizes are a bit small. I normally wear a size 2 and they ordered a size 0 for my wedding gown. It arrived a month ago and it fits perfectly. I even have a little bit of room in case I gain weight. Let's hope I don't :)
  • yeah I had to order my dress a couple sizes up to get a good fit, I just chalk it up to nothing in the bridal industry is conducive to a healthy self esteem.
  • ohhhhh shiit - are all sizes too small? Maybe my salon f'ed up. They ordered me a size 6 and that's what I wear in normal dresses and clothes everyday. Sometimes, depending on the store, I'm even a size 8.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with PP and it is just a number but I totally get what you are saying. My dress was almost 2x the normal size I wear because my chest is large. It was shocking at first but I got over it. When I asked the bridal salon they said normally wedding dresses run 2 or 3 sizes small. Don't sweat it girl!

• Yes to all of the above and remember too depending on the cut and fabric of the dress you might need a few sizes different anyway. :)
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." "Who doesn't LOVE candy?" Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • yeah, they usually run one size higher, i'm a street size 6, bridal size 8. i was kind of upset when i found out at the bridal shop, but its no big deal- just a number.
    Photobucket
  • I'm usually a 4-6 and I ordered an 8 and it fits perfectly.
  • Don't let the number effect you. I'm a street size 14 and my dress is size 20. It's stupid because it seems that the wedding dress industry would make you feel better about your size, not worse. But yeah just don't worry about it. If it looks great on you, who cares what number is on the tag!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_wedding-dress-size-vs-real-size?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:740426ae-55f7-425b-9b30-5a0454fa481aPost:4071471e-cdc8-40fe-aa0e-932d3db12633">Re: wedding dress size vs. "real" size</a>:
    [QUOTE]ohhhhh shiit - are all sizes too small? Maybe my salon f'ed up. They ordered me a size 6 and that's what I wear in normal dresses and clothes everyday. Sometimes, depending on the store, I'm even a size 8.
    Posted by shoegal715[/QUOTE]

My daughter wears either a 2 or a 4.  When she bought her gown, they measured her and  told her to order a size 4, which she did.  It fit perfectly.
  • It all depends on the designer of the dress. My Maggie was ordered same as my street size based on the sample I had on. Hopefully it will fit when it comes in this June or July!
  • edited April 2010
    It depends on the company- a lot have sizing similar to European sizing, rather than American sizing.  I'm a 12 in the US, but I just saw a sizing chart for euro clothes the other day, and I'd be at least an 18 bc of my chest size.  

Some of the dresses I tried on were 18's and they fit perfectly.  I have a Maggie, and bought a 14.  I could've gone with the 12, but my chest measurement was in the middle between the 12 and 14, and I decided to go larger.  So, I wouldn't worry about it.  
  • I'm a street size 0 & my dress is a 2... not a big difference. Maybe it depends on the designer?

But like everyone else says, what matters is how AMAZING you'll look! No one except you knows what's on the tag! ;)
  • I tried on everything from a 16 to a 22 and they all FIT!! LOL!!  Mine ended up being an Alfred Angelo 18.
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Do not worry.  It is just a number.  I am a 2 or 4 in street clothes and my wedding dress is an 8. My one BM was shocked and asked me if I was ok with that.  My answer..."yes" and I followed it up with "even if I had to order a size 12 I would".  You will look stunning and who cares if it is a 12 or 20?!  Your big day is supposed to be fun and you need not worry about what the tag on the INSIDE of the dress says! 
  • I agree with everyone else.  Don't worry about the number--it just matters how you feel.  A lot of bridal designers use true sizes, not the vanity sizes we have in stores today.  Many times that is more consistent with European sizing.  I normally wear a 4-6 dress and my ML gown was a 10.  It fit beautifully and better to have the gown look good than for it to be the same as your street size!
  • I think it depends on the designer... I wear a normal size 0P-2P, and 0 fit me with one designer, while 4 was tight with another. Whatever - just get what fits and then the alterations will take care of the rest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards