Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Bridesmaid and Jr. Bridesmaid Picked Inappropriate Dresses

I have a bridesmaid and jr bridesmaid dress dilema.  I told all of my girls they could pick their own dresses because I wanted to be sure everyone was comfortable in what they were wearing.  My only requests were 1.  They all be the same color and 2.  No poufy ballgowns.  Well, one of the bridesmaids and my jr. bridesmaid both have their hearts set on....you guessed it, poufy ballgown dresses.  How do I politely tell them I don't want them to wear these dresses?  I don't think I'm being unreasonable and I am very surprised they would pick dresses with the name "ballgown" in the description.  The jr. bridesmaid's mom is one of my bridesmaids so I feel like she should know better.

I appreciate any advice you have.

Thank you!

Re: Bridesmaid and Jr. Bridesmaid Picked Inappropriate Dresses

• Options
    Did they already buy them or have they just picked them out? If they've just picked them out, I'd flat out say that you'd rather they not wear that poofy of a dress, especially since you already said that you didn't want that. There might have been some miscommunication or misinterperataion of what "poufy ballgown" means, so just clarify it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Did you ask them to have you OK the dress before they bought it? If they haven't bought it yet, I would reiterate your request of no ball gowns.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

No one has ordered their dress yet fortunately.  I will definitely take your advice and just be up front and clarify for them. Thanks so much! 

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I agree, I would reiterate your request as long as they have not bought them yet - and maybe go shopping with them to steer them in the right direction, or ask them to submit their final picks to you for approval so to speak?  I don't think asking for no ballgowns is a ridiculous request.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    oh wow, when you said "inappropriate dress" I thought you meant something much different. lol  My future step daughter has to be told EXACTLY what to get because if not she will either pick a) the dress so short she can't sit or b) the dress that shows so much cleavage or dips so low in the back its indecent. lol 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaid-and-jr-bridesmaid-picked-inappropriate-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:74ee9260-c193-49ca-8fd3-4f616f05e597Post:cae47365-bab5-490b-bd89-177dec89047c">Re: Bridesmaid and Jr. Bridesmaid Picked Inappropriate Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh wow, when you said "inappropriate dress" I thought you meant something much different. lol  My future step daughter has to be told EXACTLY what to get because if not she will either pick a) the dress so short she can't sit or b) the dress that shows so much cleavage or dips so low in the back its indecent. lol 
    Posted by brookerich[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing!
  • Options
    Make sure to tell them you want photos of the front and back before they buy it.  
  • Options
    I would clarify more than just no poufy.  You don't want them ending up with a sparkly number.   Maybe you can go shopping with?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards