Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Purchasing a dress on etsy.com?

Hello Knotties,

I am smitten by Amsale's ELLA dress and am thinking of working with a dressmaker I found on etsy.com to keep it affordable. My plan is to try the dress on (I live in NY and already located several stores that carry it), have a tailor take my measurements, and send the measurements to the dressmaker. Since it will be a custom-made knock-off the dress obviously won't be exactly like the original, and I'm hoping this allows me to make some changes (like lose the train and add a color ribbon to the waist!), but I'm a little nervous. Does anyone have any experience with purchasing a wedding online?

Here's the dress - http://www.amsale.com/bridal/bluelabel/080211/080211590.shtml

I am in the early stages of planning and this is my first post. Thanks for your feedback!

Re: Purchasing a dress on etsy.com?

• Options
    I LOVE that dress...it was actually one of my finalists. I love the lace bodice.

I would guess that this dress because it is fairly simple...could be recreated without too much trouble.........if you have a great seamstress. I haven't purchased a dress online, but I would ask for SEVERAL sample pieces from the etsy dressmaker. 

Personally, with something as important as your wedding dress...I would find a seamstress that you can meet with in person...but that is just my opinion.

Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My suggestion would be to find a local dressmaker. You'll get the best fit if you can meet with them on a regular basis. Plus, you'll be supporting a local business!
  • Options
    If you haven't already spoken to the person on Etsy about recreating this, don't just assume that anyone who makes dresses on Etsy will do this for you. I have a shop on Etsy (not making dresses), but many people in forums get very peeved by people who assume they can ask for something else they've found at a cheaper price. People on Etsy are artists at their trade & ripping off someone elses designs isn't always something they are willing to do. You may find some dressmakers who will do it for you, but I just want to prepare you incase someone finds your request offensive.

Always check out the seller's feedback, also. And always ask if they've done something similar before - don't want them experiementing sewing techniques on your wedding dress.
  • Options

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I've been in touch with the dressmaker on etsy. In fact, she is promoting her own variation of the dress. As for feedback about her work - she joined etsy in the fall and only has a few reviews (probably b/c it takes several months to ocmplete each dress) and they are all positive. And then again, I can always think about using a local dressmaker. Perhaps my next post will be about locating a good dressmaker in the area! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards