Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

BM Dress shopping

I have a question about time frames for BM dress shopping. I posted this on another board but I thought I'd get some good feedback here.

My bridal party has already been asked and all my girls said yes. I am well aware that I should not have asked so early, I've already received the feedback that I should have waited until about 6-9 months before the wedding. So...I'm not looking for feedback on that.

With that said, all of my BMs want to go shopping already. Two of them have already been to Davids Bridal and picked out their dresses. I originally said it was too early but they really wanted to go so to appease them I made an appointment for November 3rd (but thinking about pushing it back to December). Wedding isn't until October 19, 2013. I think its WAY to early but a couple of my girls are saying we should go now and just pick out dresses in case David's decides to discontinue the colors I want.

I chose the colors and I'm letting the girls choose whatever dress they want. So when my BMs explained that David's has a tendency to discontinue colors on a whim I thought okay, well we can just go look and the girls can pick out their dresses with no obligation to order. But if David's comes back and says their discontinuing a color or certain dress then they know they need to order early.

But now I'm back to this is just WAY to early and I should just cancel the appt and if my colors get discontinued I just suck it up and change the colors.

Any thoughts?

Re: BM Dress shopping

• Options
    In Response to Re:BM Dress shopping:[QUOTE]I have a question about time frames for BM dress shopping. I posted this on another board but I thoughtnbsp;I'd get some good feedback here.My bridal party has already been asked and all my girls said yes. I am well aware that I should not have asked so early, I've already received the feedback that I should have waited until about 69 months before the wedding. So...I'm not looking for feedback on that. With that said, all of my BMs want to go shopping already. Two of them have already been to Davids Bridal and picked out their dresses. I originally said it was too early but they really wanted to go so to appease them I made an appointment for November 3rd but thinking about pushing it back to December. Wedding isn't until October 19, 2013. I think its WAY to early but a couple of my girls are saying we should go now and just pick out dresses in case David's decides to discontinue the colors I want.I chose the colors and I'm letting the girls choose whatever dress they want. So when my BMs explained that David's has a tendency to discontinue colors on a whim I thought okay, well we can just go look and the girls can pick out their dresses with no obligation to order. But if David's comes back and says their discontinuing a color or certain dress then they know they need to order early. But now I'm back to this is just WAY to early and I should just cancel the appt and if my colors get discontinued I just suck it up and change the colors.Any thoughts? Posted by SJM7538[/QUOTE]

I think you should trust your gut. It is way way to early.
  • Options
    I don't think its necessarily too early to have picked out your girls and to have them say yes, I had mine picked out as soon as I got engaged (which was a year and a half before my wedding date).

You need to think about the type of wedding you want. Since you ARE having a fall wedding and designers generally put out the fall style/color dresses in the summer you could risk buying the dresses now and finding a style later on that you like more. You could also risk bridesmaids having extreme weight loss or gain. This causes issues in many wedding parties. 

In my opinion, I think you should wait til the new year to start this whole process. I think January would be perfect for your timeline and to get a (safe) head start.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know everyone says to wait but my Bridesmaids got their dresses 10 months in advance becasue when I went Wedding dress shopping the consultant from Davids Bridal informed us that the dress we liked was being discontinued for the winter line.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The main reason most advice tells you to wait is that bridesmaid dresses are normally 100% unrefundable. A lot can happen in 10-12 months. I honestly think you should wait until spring.
  • Options
    I agree that you should just wait. Even if a color does happen to be discontinued, it's highly unlikely you won't be able to find a single color that you like.
  • Options
    I would just wait, if it gets discontinued you'll find something you love more. We found a dress I loved for my girls to wear but it was taken out when we went to order. Now I'm having them order by December and we found a dress we all love even more! So it all works out, don't worry :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards