Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

dress hell

hi brides, 
need some advise. getting my dress has been hell.
first i rushed to get a dress while my mother was in town and after a couple months, hated it so went to get a different one. was told to order in petite. It arrived last week and the bust looks like i was wearing something 3 sizes too small.
So i started trying on different styles and found one i like and now i'm on dress #3. 

Has anyone else had thise issue? I thought getting your wedding dress was supposed to be a fun experience. At this point i'm so nervous that when my new dress arrives something else will be wrong.

:(

Re: dress hell

• Options
    I had three. The first was bought in a $99 sale when I was trying to be thrifty. The second was a discount dress I bought because I realized the first wasn't for me. I gained too much weight and ended up needing to buy a third dress. It's not easy picking a dress.I was so happy with my third one that I stopped looking.  Hopefully this one is the right one for you. And stop looking at other dresses now.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i hope so. its the style that i never thought i wanted but felt right when i tried it on. so, thats a good sign.
    Glad to know i'm not the only one with dress issues! And that in the end you loved your dress :)

• Options
    My first dress was a sample that I got at a great deal, but I bought it because it was what I thought a wedding dress was 'supposed to look like,' it wasn't a purchase that really reflected me. So, I ordered the PERFECT dress and still love it, but had babies and can't fit into it now. Of course, it's been discontinued so I can't get it in a bigger size. So I just ordered another dress that I'm hoping will work out. I didn't get to try it on at a store, but tried on similar stuff. It's a gorgeous dress, but I still have reservations. If this new one doesn't work, my second dress will be altered to fit, because I flat out refuse to buy a new one when I compare everything to a dress I already have.

I absolutely had NO fun dress shopping. I have body issues after having children, and no matter how good something probably looked, I found fault with it.
  • Options
    oh, i feel you. i almost feel like unless you're a size 2 dress shopping will pretty much suck since most wedding dresses are strapless and not very forgiving.That, or you need to be way into fashion and know exactly which styles will work for you before stepping into a bridal shop.

Good luck with the new dress! I hope it works out fo you! It's good that you can alter the second just in case. I exchanged mine so it's this new one or nothing.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:7e267db5-4307-4792-9e2c-28a50e7aef27Post:e36dbc6a-4bac-4d62-99b2-dbeda28b2878">Re: dress hell</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh, i feel you. i almost feel like unless you're a size 2 dress shopping will pretty much suck since most wedding dresses are strapless and not very forgiving.That, or <strong>you need to be way into fashion and know exactly which styles will work for you before stepping into a bridal shop</strong>. Good luck with the new dress! I hope it works out fo you! It's good that you can alter the second just in case. I exchanged mine so it's this new one or nothing.
    Posted by tobarlerner[/QUOTE]
    That's not necessarily true. Chances are, you haven't worn a wedding dress before. So even if you know what silhouettes work for your body most, it's a whole different ball game with bridal gowns. Look through magazines or online to see what silhouettes appeal to you. But then go to the salon with an open mind because those silhouettes may not work for you. <div>
    </div><div>The consultants are usually very helpful and will bring you different styles that can flatter your body best. If they're not doing that for you, then you need to go elsewhere. Good luck in your hunt!</div>
  • Options
    I went to two places in one day with my mom and two BMs and it came down to two dresses. I loved one, but it was heinously over my budget. The other, even with alterations, will come in below. At the end of the day I knew which one I'd order, so that's what I'm gonna do, and I'm getting excited about it :)
    Lizzie
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:7e267db5-4307-4792-9e2c-28a50e7aef27Post:e36dbc6a-4bac-4d62-99b2-dbeda28b2878">Re: dress hell</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh, i feel you. <strong>i almost feel like unless you're a size 2 dress shopping will pretty much suck since most wedding dresses are strapless and not very forgiving.</strong>That, or you need to be way into fashion and know exactly which styles will work for you before stepping into a bridal shop. Good luck with the new dress! I hope it works out fo you! It's good that you can alter the second just in case. I exchanged mine so it's this new one or nothing.

I'm a size 8 and I had zero issues. In fact, strapless dresses look awesome on me. What's there to forgive? :)
  • Options
    I ended up with 2 wedding dresses and 2 reception dresses. The 1st wedding dress was like your 1st, it just wasn't me after being rushed into a purchase. I ended up ordering my 2nd dress online and I loved it. It was perfect, needed no alterations and was exactly what I was looking for.

My reception dress was great till I lost too much weight and when I went for alterations, 6 weeks before my wedding, I found out that it couldn't be taken in without it looking funny. Thankfully it didn't cost too much, so I ended up purchases a 2nd dress on sale for $99 and had it altered from a full length gown to a tea length with pick ups so I could swing dance at my reception. I loved the 2nd dress even more and it is a 1 of a kind!

But I did not have fun dress shopping or finding the right dress.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:7e267db5-4307-4792-9e2c-28a50e7aef27Post:e36dbc6a-4bac-4d62-99b2-dbeda28b2878">Re: dress hell</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh, i feel you. i almost feel like <strong>unless you're a size 2 dress shopping will pretty much suck since most wedding dresses are strapless and not very forgiving</strong>.That, or you need to be way into fashion and know exactly which styles will work for you before stepping into a bridal shop. Good luck with the new dress! I hope it works out fo you! It's good that you can alter the second just in case. I exchanged mine so it's this new one or nothing.

okay - well i'm a size 18 and I had a pretty easy time finding "the one" because i did my homework.  I looked up dresses that would flatter me online and narrowed down the ones i tried on at dress shops based on that.  It worked out pretty well...i bought the 2nd dress i tried on.  I don't think you have to be a size 2 to have fun & enjoy dress shopping.  I'm certainly not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:7e267db5-4307-4792-9e2c-28a50e7aef27Post:cc0f2a52-aeea-47f0-af8b-c3c698cda2c9">Re: dress hell</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: dress hell : okay - well i'm a size 18 and<strong> I had a pretty easy time finding "the one" because i did my homework.</strong>  I looked up dresses that would flatter me online and narrowed down the ones i tried on at dress shops based on that.  It worked out pretty well...i bought the 2nd dress i tried on.  I don't think you have to be a size 2 to have fun & enjoy dress shopping.  I'm certainly not.
    Posted by chickenbut143[/QUOTE]

maybe that's my problem. i hate shopping on normal days, let alone something this important. Probably would have done better had i not rushed into getting something in the first place. Live and learn :) 
  • Options
    I knew that dress shopping would be a pain in the butt. The first thing I did is look online to see what I liked. I made a list of my top ten, then googled the name of the dress to see real women in them.
     All dresses look good on  a size 2 model, so it's very hard to tell what they look like on a real person! lol That's how I wittled down my choice. Since I didn't care to spend too much on a dress, even though I wanted to look good, I went to "PreOwnedWeddingDress.com and bought my dream dress, Maggie Sottero "Tamara" that was originally $1,300 for $400 (that included shipping). THis  may not be a option for you depending on your opinion on wedding dresses, but I strongly suggest researching your dress to help you get an idea of what you really want. Good luck dear.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:7e267db5-4307-4792-9e2c-28a50e7aef27Post:cc0f2a52-aeea-47f0-af8b-c3c698cda2c9">Re: dress hell</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: dress hell : okay - well i'm a size 18 and I had a pretty easy time finding "the one" because i did my homework.  I looked up dresses that would flatter me online and narrowed down the ones i tried on at dress shops based on that.  It worked out pretty well...i bought the 2nd dress i tried on.  I don't think you have to be a size 2 to have fun & enjoy dress shopping.  I'm certainly not.
    Posted by chickenbut143[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That's like me! I bought my dress yesterday- first time shopping and I am not at all fashion-minded. I showed up in my jeans and T-shirt from work (I work at a preschool) and the consultants were so nice. They were able to pull up my favorites that I'd picked online, pulled as many as they had in stock (I'd picked a lot of discontinued styles,) and were patient and open about what I liked or didn't like about any of them. It was a DB (which lots of people have horror stories about but to me it's like any other chain store- customer service varies!) and I had an amazing time. I love, love, LOVE my dress. And I'm not at all a size 2- it's a size 16 and it didn't even close all the way in the back and I still feel amazing in it. As much fun as it was I have no problem checking that off and never looking at dresses again though, hah.
    </div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards