Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Are you soldering engagement ring and wedding band?

Our wedding is two months away and we bought our wedding bands a couple months ago when our jewler was having a sale.
We are taking my fiance's ring to get sized soon and I need to decide if I want to get my wedding band soldered to my E-ring. Are you doing this or waiting till after the ceremony? I'm still on the fence about it. My engagment ring twists alot and I know with my curved wedding  band it will stay in place more if they were attached. However, we plan on having kids soon and I've had friends wear their wedding band on a chain around their neck when their hands swell from pregnancy. I think it would be weird to have the two rings on a chain around my neck.
Anniversary

Re: Are you soldering engagement ring and wedding band?

• Options
    Since you are on the fence I would just wait and see.

Of course your engagement ring will twist a lot because it is top heavy.

I am not going to attach mine together because some days I just wear my wedding band when I know that I will be doing a lot with my hands and I don't want my engagement ring to get in the way.  But then again, I have a regular band that didn't have to be specifically made to go around my engagement ring.

• Options
    I plan on keeping them separate just because I work out a lot, and it will be nice to have just a band to wear.
  • Options
    I had mine soldered together before the wedding, but I also technically have two wedding bands (plus my e-ring) and I didn't want them to all spin independently of each other because I know I would have been fidgeting with it all the time. 

It really comes down to how much you are planning to wear them.  I never intended to wear mine separately, so having them soldered was an easy choice.  However, if you know of certain situations where you'd prefer to wear them separately, then you might want to hold off and see how it works for you in practice.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I didnt. I like being able to just wear my wedding band.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I plan on keeping mine separate - there are little intricate designs on my e-ring that I fear would be lost if I soldered them together.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I will, because my wedding band has curves to match the Ering -- so it'll look a little weird to wear the band by itself anyway.

But I agree with PPs, you should hold off on the decision for a little while so  you can be sure that soldering them is what you really want!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    My wedding band had to be melted and contoured according to the shape of my engagement ring.  It wouldn't look right wearing it by itself, so I am pretty sure I will end up getting it soddered together.  Unless you are 100% sure, what's the rush to do something either way?
  • Options
    Hold off, see how you like them seperate. If its not for you then you can always have them soddered
  • Options
    I would wait and see. I thought ahead of time that I was definitely going to get them soldered when we returned from the HM. Then I got busy, didn't get around to it, and found that they stayed together perfectly fine on their own, and I liked having the option of just wearing the wedding band if I wanted to. I now plan to never solder them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I will wait to see how I like them!
    Anniversary
  • Options

My mom always told me that you shouldn't travel wearing your e-ring; you don't want to lose it, have it stolen or be in a part of the world where it could make you a target. My FI when we looked at rings kept telling me to look at stuff that couldn't be worn alone but it just wasn't my style. When the jewelry also said leaving e-ring at home when traveling is a good idea he finally understood and we got straight banded rings. Now he loves that I can take my e-ring off and leave my wedding band on if we are working on his truck or doing anything that could hurt my sapphire. Also my rings have metal work on the top and sides and if I put them together that would be lost and that's what made us fall in love with my rings to begin with.

• Options
    I agree with everyone else on holding off.

My engagement ring is a family heirloom that is actually two rings already soldered together. I plan on wearing it on my right hand after the ceremony because it's not really possible to find or have another ring made to fit around it. It's kind of beastly already, so my wedding ring will be the lone ring on my left finger. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Unless mine spin a lot and drive me bonkers, I won't be getting them soldered together. I want to be able to wear my wedding band without my ering. 

If you're not 100% sure you want it, wait until after the wedding when you can see if they bother you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options

We haven't bought our wedding bands yet, but I have some perspective about my mom's set.  A few years ago she fell and shattered the bones in her wrist and almost had to have her e-ring and wedding band cut off.  We got them off without being cut and I held onto them for her.  She was swollen for a while, and wouldn't have been able to wear them, so for Christmas that year, I took them to a jeweler to be professionally cleaned.  The jeweler noticed that a few of the smaller side diamonds had fallen out and said he would clean the rings and replace the diamonds.  When he was cleaning them, he said 2 more diamonds fell out.  He suggested getting them soldered together to help protect the prongs.  He said that 25 years of wear (never being taken off) and the fact that then rubbed back and forth against eachother led to the prongs loosening and allowing the diamonds to fall out.  He said that he always suggests soldering for that reason.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My wedding band is also a cradle/enhancer for the e-ring, it would look pretty strange by itself with bits sticking out the side and a hole in the middle ;) I plan on getting mine put together before the wedding and wearing the much smaller diamond ring I bought for myself years ago as my engagement ring once we send it out until the wedding. It also depends on cost though, I might just wear it and see if the cradle holds everything in place or not ;)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards