Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Mother of Groom

Hi I am a mother of a groom.  The colors of the wedding are purple/yellow.  The brides mother is wearing the purple and so are the bridesmaids.  The groom/groomsmen are wearing black suits/shirts with yellow ties.  Me, as MOG is wearing a yellow dress.  It is tealength.

She wanted her mom and myself to look "our ages" and not frumpy so she wanted us to not wear gowns or "suit like" outfits.  I need suggestions for jewelry and shoes to go with this dress.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Denise-MOG
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Mother of Groom

• Options
    hi MOG!
    that's a beautiful dress.  what about a soft gold metal with light purple stones, these earrings are from sorrelli just as an idea and you could find a coordinating bracelet also, www.sorrelli.com:

and then maybe a metallic gold but not too blingy shoe?  these are cole haan nike airs, $$ but super comfy and you'll be dancing all night!  also they often have sales and outlet stores in different areas.  or you could try naturalizer too. www.colehaan.com:
    happy shopping and happy wedding!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_mother-of-groom-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:812edb5f-7a71-4825-ab92-d8a8ccc9d6f6Post:fb852d09-b3e2-4aca-828c-1e637b5f5c9c">Re: Mother of Groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]Denise, I love that dress!  Do you have shoes and jewelry already that would go with it, or are we buying all new?  Because I could see any number of shoe colors working with that dress -- black, nude, silver, possibly gold.  And tell us what jewelry you're usually comfortable wearing?  My mom, for example, when she wears jewelry at all it's always very delicate.  She just isn't a chunky jewelry kind of lady.
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

Hi Lucy, no I don't have any shoes or jewelry yet.  I love how the model looks, but unfortunately, I don't look no where near that good.  I was thinking of a nude shoe, but not so sure.  I normally wear gold jewelry.  I am in my late 40's.

Thanks for any info
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi Arrabelle,

Thanks for the reply.  I just love those earrings!!  I will have to go take a look and see what else I can find.  I have short hair so that would work.  The shoes are cute too.

Keep the suggestions coming
    Thanks
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    JA2003JA2003 member
    First Comment
    I love the dress, and I'm sure you're going to look fabulous in it :) I think gold jewelery is the best way to go, and I like the idea of the purple accents in the jewelery. For the shoe, I would go for a black shoe, something very simple, open or closed toe, whatever your liking is. I think the yellow with the black is a nice combo, and goes well with the groom's side, since you seem to be doing it that way! Good luck!!
    "We should get jersey's, 'cuz we make a good team." Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Hi!  I think that dress is great!  I am thinking I like the black shoes on the model too, but I also think nude/beige shoes might look nice.

What about crystal jewelry?  I can't see the detail below at the waist well enough to tell if crystals would pick up on that or not, but if so, it might work.

Good luck  - it is a very pretty dress.
  • Options
    That's a pretty dress!

My first thought when I looked at it was a big cuff bracelet and similar dramatic earrings with no necklace.  Silver with a touch of rhinestone or CZ-sparkle would be good.
  • Options
    I love the dress.  Very appropriate for a mother of the groom! Good choice!
    I have a website, maybe I can help you.  Look at my website and check out the earrings there.  They are affordable.  www.jstaufferimages.com
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_mother-of-groom-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:812edb5f-7a71-4825-ab92-d8a8ccc9d6f6Post:20592098-e80b-4c94-95b8-76a487bb3057">Re: Mother of Groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think a nude shoe would be great.  A black shoe with a light colored dress can sometimes look heavy and clunky unless it's a very strappy sandal with very high, slim heels.  Nude shoes kind of disappear visually and make the leg look longer and leaner.
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

That is what I heard also about the black shoes.  I need to try and look as tall as I can.  LOL...Hopefully I will find something this week because the wedding is on the 11th of June.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks all about the dress!  I really appreciate it.  I am normally a gold jewelry person, but I really love the purple in those earrings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's a beautiful dress! Why couldn't you incorporate the purple color. I liked the purple stone earrings someone showed. And how about a pale purple shoe? Yellow (gold) and purple are complimentary colors.
    It's a bit of a more daring look, I tend to be more subtle but I long to be that fashionista!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards