Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

I've Got The Bra Blues

So.  What the hell am I supposed to wear under this?  It's a sheath, and I'm adding a petticoat to make it more fit and flare - and I'm curvier than the picture, so I think it looks better (if I do say so myself).  But, I have some tummy stuff, and I need more boobies.  So, normally, I'd throw on some padded bra and spanx.  But the back is sooo low (shows my reguar bra).  I can't figure out what to get under it.  I want something with a little tummy structure, since the dress has none. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

Re: I've Got The Bra Blues

• Options
    Beautiful dress.

Can you have cups sewn in your gown?  A seamstress might also have some other ideas on good undergarments or ways to alter the dress to give you the support (and volume) that you need without worrying about a bra showing.  Go have a chat.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_ive-got-the-bra-blues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:81d0b6d3-b629-455c-afed-0216907737d8Post:a913f9eb-6f6a-4b31-8f19-9b288a0ec18e">Re: I've Got The Bra Blues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have your seamstress sew in cups to give the girls some oomph, and then wear spanks on bottom?
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

<div>the prob with spanx that come up high to smooth out the tummy and hips is that they are too high in the back too.  The ones I have now are like tall shorts, so they go right to the bottom of my bra.  Too high.   If they were lower, they'd create a tummy role, or role down.  (If you're not chubby, you won't get this... But, even tights create a role when your sides are "squishy")</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• Options
    Have you tried on any long line bras with the dress?  I've worn some BM dresses that were low in the back and the long line bra worked great.  I bought mine at Macys and it stayed in place all night.
  • Options
    Having a seamtress sew in cups is a great idea, but also check out this site Ultimo. They have some really cool solutions for backless dress body shaping - especially this body suit. 

If you get one, let me know how it works out....

• Options
    I think your best bet would be to ask your seamstress to sew in cups for you.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Long line bras can be altered.  DD had a low back dress and got a long line bra that added oomph to the boobies and smoothed the sides.  The lingerie store where she bought it then cut down the back so that it didn't show above her dress.  If where you bought the bra can't d it, your seamstress should be able to.
  • Options
    I have the same situation.... And a large chest :( I had a major meltdown after my first fitting when I went to five different shops and couldnt find one. Check out barenecessities.com I have since ordered five in three different sizes..... Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    Hey! Did you get that from vows? Liv Harris?.... I think we have the same dress ;)
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2012
    Take your dress to the best lingerie shop or department store near you. 
    Find the best fitter and let her do her work.  The better research you do
    ahead of time, the more successful your shopping trip will be.  Good luck!
  • Options
    1mobags yes! My SIL got her dress there last year and I loved the shop. So this August I went and got mine. First one I tried on! Then, out of nowhere, the shop is featured on a TLC show! I got the dress in ivory/champagne. And I'm adding fullness to the bottom. But, you know what I mean. It has zero Structure so every lump and bump shows!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• Options
    Truth! I am going to their seamstress and she recommended a Demi cup low v back bra with shaper....... With the silky sheath underneath I don't think cups can be sewn in..... Once I find one that works for me I will let you know :)
  • Options
    I second (or third) the long line bra or bustier. It will have boning to support and shape your middle, and keep 'the ladies' where they need to be. As a D cup, I'd never be comfortable to have cups sewn into the dress - I don't think that would be enough support for me.

Also, what you wear under the dress has a huge impact on how the dress looks. I used to manage a bridal salon and do a lot of fittings. We always made sure that nothing was altered until the bride had decided what she was wearing under the dress and brought it with her to each fitting. Bras are designed to give supprt and provide lift, and every single one of them fits differently.

Wearing the undergarmets you're planning to wear the day of the wedding to each fitting is as important as bringing the shoes you plan to wear.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OP i got my shipment of bras last night and I think these there are all contenders. Will know for sure after my 2nd fitting on the 29th. Nancy Ganz (NG010.... not as much NG008) firm control bust shaping underwire body slip Bali 8l10 lace n'smooth firm control body briefer (is more a body suit) Dominique 8541 longline smooth strapless bra (comes to belly button but low back) Hope this helps
  • Options
    NG 010 worked the best at the fitting so should be perfect for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards