Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

wearing his late aunts dress....

my soon to be MIL has asked if i would consider wearing her late sister in laws dress. at first i thought it was an honor to be asked but now im not so sure. her brother has said that i can do what ever i want to the dress and FIs aunt is a semstress but  what do you think  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: wearing his late aunts dress....

• Options
    Have you even seen it? I'd be worried that it's horribly out of date.

If I were you, I would probably tell FMIL that I'm honored by the suggestion, but that I'd like to pick out a gown that fits my personality, just like her sister picked out one that suited hers. I'd ask if there were some other way we could honor her though, by wearing a piece of her jewelry, turning the lace from her gown into a bouquet wrap, or something similar.
  • Options

Only if it is the dress you want. I would never settle on something I didn't like to make someone happy. But if you think that the dress is pretty and it sounds like it's free, the go for it. I'd suggest going to salons and trying on other dresses to make sure. A dress isn't something you want to regret.

Photobucket
  • Options
    danielle16_17danielle16_17 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    if you have seen and like it then - why not wear it but if its not you then dont.. you could always use it in another way= as a reception dress or shorten in and use as a rehearsal dress. You could put it on display at the reception with a note explaining the dress and why its special
  • Options
    What do you want to do?  Don't do something you don't want to do just to please others.  Wear the dress you really want to wear.  If you want to pick out your own dress, politely tell your inlaws.
  • Options
    I most definitely agree with PP.  You could have FIs aunt show you would "could be" with the dress...  pin it, etc to see what it would look like BEFORE any alterations are completed...  that way if you don't like what it looks like after it's altered, "no harm, no fowl"...
  • Options
    im sorry its so burry but this is the only pic i have of the dress
  • Options
    It all depends of if you like the dress, or if you could have it altered to be the wedding dress you love. It not, get a dress you love!
  • Options
    Do you like the dress? Are you going to try to alter it a la "27 Dresses" and ruin it for FMIL? You need to decide what is most comfortable for you and then go from there. Just try to let FMIL down easy if you opt out of wearing her SIL's dress.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards