Attire & Accessories Forum

Waist on my dress just a wee bit small...

Ok, I'm trying not to panic.  I picked up my dress this weekend and the waist is just a tad bit too tight.  I don't know what happened, I didn't gain any weight and the right size was ordered!  It can zip, but it's just a little uncomfortable.  If I had just one more inch, it would make a world of difference.  Can the seams be taken out without having to add extra fabric?  Is this going to cost me a fortune? 

This is my dress: http://www.justinalexanderbridal.com/en_us/8465.html

Re: Waist on my dress just a wee bit small...

• It all depends on what the going rate for a seamstress is in your area. Don't worry, they can definitely let it out, and inch is not a big deal. Does it have a corset or zipper back?

You may want to try posting this on your local board to get recommendations for seamstresses there unless you plan on having it done at the bridal salon where you bought your dress.
  • It is a zipper back.  I'm going to call a highly recommended local seamstress tomorrow, hopefully she can help me :/
  • Yeah, she should be able to handle that, no problem.
  • I've been told that a typical dress can be "let out" around 1/4 to 1/2 an inch without having major effects on the look of the dress.  After 1/2 an inch, it's up to how much "extra" there is behind the seams.  If you're concerned about needing it let out, I'd wait until the last possible moment, about 2 weeks before the wedding if possible, and between now and then do what you can to tone up your midsection.  You may find that you have enough time to exercise and tone up a little that it will make the dress more comfortable without any seamstress work needed.  Is your wedding really in May 2011?  If so... I'd wait on the fitting until 4 to 6 weeks prior to the wedding.  That's just me, but if you need the dress any sooner for portraits or pix, do what you need to! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Wait. You have all kinds of time.

Before undertaking alterations (which can be tricky, especially if you've got beading or lace), try toning up your abs a bit. If you've never done something like Pilates, now's the time!

If that doesn't do it for you, consider Spanx or another slimmer. They can give you a little extra support without being uncomfortable, and it could be just what the dress needs.
  • edited October 2010
    If the waist is to small and you have the same dimensions it could also be a manufacturing defect.

It is possible they acidentally cut it a bit small.

I would also suggest taking the dress back to the store and getting measured again to make sure the dress came in correctly

they might just need to send it back.  you have plenty of time to get the dress back if they send it back
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks, I feel slightly less panicked now.  Apparently it's very common to lose weight before your wedding due to stress.  I just don't know how much I can lose because I'm tiny to begin with, but I suppose I could lose a little.  I don't want to be uncomfortable for my wedding day so I will have to do something :/   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards