Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Champagne dress, white tux?

I am completely in love with an Oleg Cassini gown at David's.  It is the most beautiful shade of champagne with a latte sash which I'll have custom done in marine blue to match the bridal party.  I was literally ordering my dress today when I thought to ask FH last night what he wanted to wear.  He is totally sold on a white tux for himself and his guys.  He is giving me free reign on so much, and this is truly important to him, so I don't want to tell him no, but I am convinced our attire is going to clash in the pictures. 

My dress is available in white and in ivory, but my skin is light with olive undertones, and the champagne looks incredible against my skin while both the white and the ivory wash out my complexion, esp. against my blonde hair.

Has anyone seen a champagne dress next to a white tux?  I've looked online, but maybe I'm not hitting the right search words because I can't find a single picture of this combination.  I'm thinking that doesn't bode well for how it looks together Frown

Re: Champagne dress, white tux?

• Options
    I googled and found this pic:
    http://www.lawrentuxedo.com/Images/Tuxedos/FezzaWAvanti_Full.jpg

It doesn't look bad IMO esp if he was to wear a champagne vest or a similar off-white color. 

HTH :)
  • Options
    Thanks!  You're right, it doesn't look bad; he'll be wearing a dark royal blue vest/tie though, similar to this  http://www.brides-beaux.com/sitebuilder/images/IMG_7369-420x660.jpg

The actual color is DB marine, and his bout will be lavender; bm will be wearing marine dresses with lavender peek-a-boo skirts.  I stole the look straight from the DB website b/c I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it, and my fave color is purple and FH's is blue, so it suited us perfectly.  

I'm not the most imaginative person, so I'm having a really hard time visualizing everything :(
  • Options
    You can go by that picture that Boosgirl posted, and I'll also suggest going into DB and holding up a champagne dress next to a white dress.  If you don't like the way those two look, you won't like the way a champagne dress looks against a white tux.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_champagne-dress-white-tux?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:8b01ec8c-2a43-49ff-b3a6-aee756827527Post:986a06da-e8fb-4680-a5df-48929cd5bfb5">Re: Champagne dress, white tux?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can go by that picture that Boosgirl posted, and I'll also suggest going into DB and holding up a champagne dress next to a white dress.  If you don't like the way those two look, you won't like the way a champagne dress looks against a white tux.
    Posted by Lalanav[/QUOTE]

This is a good idea.  It will be very clear next to his white tux that your dress is a different shade; it's up to you whether or not you're okay with that.  I agree that a champagne vest and tie for him would really help tie the whole thing together.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    So today I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner for the night workers at our squadron, and FI comes downstairs to help (even though he's working tonight as well), and we start talking about wedding stuff, which seems inevitable these days lol.  I tell him I'm abandoning him for a few hour on Saturday to decide on my dress, and he said he thought I already had.

I explain my conundrum to him, and the suggestion about holding up a white dress to my dress to see if I liked the color combo; I had decided if I didn't I would find another dress that I did like in white so that we wouldn't clash.

He said he thought I was going to order my dress in blue (I am a bit unconventional when it comes to stuff like that), not just my sash.  Then he told me he knew how much I loved my dress and no way should I have to give it up b/c he knew it would look terrible with a white tux.  So he said he's not wearing a white tux and I'm not allowed to argue.

God I love that man Cool
  • Options
    That's really sweet!  You can always go and talk to the men at the tuxedo place.. they are really good at figuring out what will look nice, believe it or not!

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Well, I'm biased because I personally think that most guys shouldn't wear all-white tuxes, period :P

Maybe a compromise could be a white dinner jacket with black pants and a black tie. That could help break it up a bit, plus IMO it's a better look than an all-white tux.

Your FI is very sweet to change his plans so you can wear the champagne dress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards