Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Dress Help?!? Watters Mojave experience/opinions?

A little over a week ago I had gone on a dress try-on spree with my mom.  I tried on several gowns, but at the end of the day I had my heart set on the Watters Mojave dress (it is my front runner out of 3 that I narrowed down to).  Now that I look back at pictures of it on real people though, I am slightly second guessing it.  It's a gorgeous, unique dress, extremely comfortable, and exactly what I thought I was looking for.  But I am afraid it is going to make me look bigger than I am (I am a size 2-4) because of the style.  The sample I tried on was a size 12, so it was hard to get a real feel for how it would fit, even with pinning it back as much as possible.  On the store's facebook they have pictures of the employees modeling dresses at a bridal show and this was one of the dresses.  If I had never seen the dress on me I would have absolutely thrown it out based on how it looked on this other person!!  Now I am scared that it looks the same on me and the "looking good" was just in my head.  I don't want to see my wedding photos later and realize that it looked bad/big/fat, etc.
Has anyone worn or seen someone wear this dress??  I would really appreciate hearing experiences....THANKS

Re: Dress Help?!? Watters Mojave experience/opinions?

• Options
    after reading your post I had to reply because our experiences are SO SIMILAR it's not funny!!

Firstly, see this link for photos of a very skinny girl in this dress - I don't think it makes her look fat at all:

http://www.oncewed.com/39763/used-wedding-dresses/size-0/mojave/

If you're a size 2, I doubt you'll look 'fat' in it (or whatever you were saying you were worried about). It has the band in the mid section that's going to be quite tight when fitted correctly, so this will do a lot in showing off your figure etc.

I ended up purchasing this for my wedding and I am sooooooo happy I did - although like you I had some reservations about it as well. I'm an Australian size 10-12 (not sure what that is in US sizes, but in Australia sizes go 6-8-10-12 etc) and I was a LITTLE worried because the fabric was just so different, and a little worried about it being strapless because my arms are a little 'soft', but as for making me look fat, I actually thought it was REALLY flattering. So I'm sure with your sizing you'll look stunning.

but anyway - after trying this dress on I feel in love, and it was probably the 15th dress I'd tried on and NOTHING was even a contender, but because I was worried I went dress shopping again and tried on another 8 or so dresses, keeping an open mind that I might find something else I liked, but nothing came close.

so maybe do that? try on a few more and see how it goes.

I also have a LONG time before my wedding due to study, and also worried that I was making a decision to early. but the the final nail in the coffin of my decision was when someone said to me "what if you walked in to the store and found out that this dress was discontinued and you couldn't get it anymore?" - the thought of NOT being able to have it made me know that I had to get it!!! I couldn't bear the thought of missing out on it.

and finally - did you feel beautiful in it? I just felt like a million bucks. It was lightweight, flowy, feminine but not too girly and 'showy' but not toooo over the top.

haha, anyway, that has killed some time between classes, hopefully that was helpful, good luck - excited to hear what dress you decide on (even if you don't get this one! :)
  • Options
    jen3000 - WOW we really do have literally the same experience!! I also had gone to one more store after trying on about 10-15 dresses at this one (which was my second time shopping).  In total I have probably tried about 20-30 dresses and this one is truly just a top winner and I don't think anything else will come close.  I am going back today actually, because they are having a trunk show and the dress is on sale, so if I'm going to buy it, today is the day!! :) This time I'm bringing my mom, sister, grandmother, and aunt to get their opinions (last time it was just me and mom), so if all goes well I should have a dress by the end of the day!  Thanks so much for telling me your story.  I'm really glad to know someone else is in the same situation.  And, similar to you, I couldn't bear if it were discontinued and I found out I had no chance at getting it!
    Thanks again and good luck!!
  • Options
    So did you get married?? How was the dress??
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards