Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

dress disaster - cross post. long-ish

Hi all!   I originally posted this on my month board but thought I could use a few more opinions.  this is kind of long!

In November, I purchased a discontinued Mon Cheri lace dress off the clearance rack at a small bridal salon for $425. It's a spaghetti strap dress but I discussed with the woman having full sleeves added to the dress. She told me that would be no problem, they could order the lace from the designer. It would be $170 and to come back in September.

I wanted to get a jump on everything and went in about 2 weeks ago. Well, it turns out that they CANNOT get the lace because the dress isn't a current style. They tried to sell me a $240 jacket. The lace wasn't the same and that's more than they quoted me at so I refused. Then they said they could maybe take lace from the bottom tier of the gown (make it less of an A-line, although I wouln't say it's A-line to begin with) to craft the sleeves. I feel like there isn't that much lace to take off without hacking my dress to pieces. I'm a little hesitant to let them just start taking my dress apart.

I'm pretty upset about this whole thing because they assured me when I bought the dress making sleeves wouldn't be an issue.   

I've looked around for this lace but have had no luck matching it.  I looked into buying a pre-owned dress in order to get my hands on the fabric.  No luck there either.  I did find my dress on dressinmoda.com for the same price I paid for mine.  But it seems silly to buy another $400 dress just to cut it up. 

here's a pic of my dress from dressinmoda.com

http://www.dressinmoda.com/destinations-mon-cheri-spaghetti-lace-applique-overlay-asymmetrical-layers-wedding-dress.html#

What should I do?  And ideas?  I brought the dress home with me and had it on for awhile today while FI was at work trying to visualize the alterations they discussed.  The more I looked at it and played with it, I feel like there might be enough lace on the bottom layer to make the sleeves/jacket afterall.  I talked to the seamstress today and she said there was.  Since there's layers underneath the lace I don't think removing the lace will really change the shape of the dress too much. The bottom layer is rouched while the rest are not. 

On my month board everyone told me not to let this salon hack up my dress since I was already disappointed with them.  But I don't know what else to do.  I really have my heart set on long sleeves and I want the lace to be the same. 

What would you all do?  I'm so nervous because this (to me) seems like a big project.  I'm hesitant to let them start taking my dress apart.  If it doesn't come out the way I want, I don't have much time to figure anything else out.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: dress disaster - cross post. long-ish

• Options
    I wouldnt want them to cut up my dress! What about having more of a tulle netted sleeve?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What about a satin bolero? You could get one the same color as your dress and embelish it or you could get one the color of your bridesmaid's dresses to add a little flair. You could also match your shoes to the color of the bolero if you go the color route. That would make for a nice color pop.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I'd take your dress to an independent seamstress - one that is reputable and comes well recommended in your area.

Get an honest opinion from her about how to make the sleeves and if there's enough from one of the layers to do so. 

I'm actually a bit ticked at the bridal shop for you.  They sold you the dress contigent upon being able to get more fabric from the designer.  I would have trusted them, too, but obviously you now know that you shouldn't.  I wouldn't bring anything back to them for alterations.

I realize that the dress you bought was discontinued, which would have been a small red flag, but who was to know that the designer didn't use that lace on any other dress currently in their collections?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-disaster-cross-post-long-ish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:987ff2d7-bc41-4b8b-84ba-16b8729dfde7Post:33f95d29-9438-439b-a442-12da0a1b141e">Re: dress disaster - cross post. long-ish</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd take your dress to an independent seamstress - one that is reputable and comes well recommended in your area. Get an honest opinion from her about how to make the sleeves and if there's enough from one of the layers to do so.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Agree with Joy2611: this is probably the smartest thing to do ASAP. Then take it from there, based on what the seamstress says. Good luck!
    <div><font face="Arial" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="font-size:12px;" class="Apple-style-span">
    </span></font></div></div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I  like the idea of the satin bolero. It will be a safer option to go with & you won't have to worry about it matching. But if you opt to have them cut your dress I would have them sign a statement that should the style of the dress be comprised too much from the alterations that they will give you credit towards a totally brand new dress or a refund to go shopping somewhere else. And then take before pictures of you in the dress to show what it looked like before any alterations so you have proof of what it looked like before.

• Options
    do they have the same dress cheap in another size?  Then you would have plenty of the same fabric to make what you want.  I would not cut up my dress.  You could do a tulle sleeve or a satin,  or silk.
  • Options
    I would honestly consider wearing the jacket before letting them cut up my dress, Im so sorry this happened but if your ticker is right and you have a month until the wedding I dont think I would allow any major alterations to the dress, If they somehow do make the situation worse you could be screwed.
  • Options
    I would take the dress to a seamstress and get a second opinion.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    The first thing I thought of was a tulle or net "illusion" sleeve, and maybe put the matching lace around the cuffs.  Also, if you decide to take the lace off the bottom, maybe you can replace that with tulle (as an underneath layer) to keep the same amount of poof to the a-line. 
  • Options
    Whatever you decide to do, I would *not* deal with those same people at the bridal shop!  Thoroughly agree with PP that you should consult an independent seamstress for any alterations to the dress.  I also like the suggestion to contact Mon Cheri and explain what happened -- they may be able to help you, even if they don't sell that pattern of lace anymore.

I'm so sorry this happened!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards