Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Uhh....alterations are NUTS!!

So I LOVE my wedding dress.  Love, love, love.  So much so that I went for "visitation" to the store where they are holding it just so I could try it on.  The seamstress was there and I wanted to speak with her about alterations.  I bought a sample Maggie Sottero with a HUGE train and lots of sparkly details on the train.  So she said she wanted to do:

Double French bustle
hemming (I'm 5'2" and only wearing 1" heels)
Taking in the sides (since it's a sample, it's a bit loose in the top area)
Adding cups

And the total is...$400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I only spent $899 on the dress!!  It just seems excessive, but I know my giant train is a pain in the ass.  The bustle is beautiful though, and she pinned it right up, so I know she is a pro.  I guess I'd rather pay a little more for a job well done.  Any one else have any surprises when it came to alterations??
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Uhh....alterations are NUTS!!

• Options
    Ditto Duds.  I had my dress hemmed, the sides taken in, cups, and a bustle for $200.
  • Options
    Definitely shop around.  My first quote was $500-600...and I only paid $590 for my gown!  I found a private seamstress who work out of her home.  I got my dress hemmed, bustled, taken in about a size, added cups, AND had some loose fabric tacked, and my total was $160.  My local board helped me find my seamstress.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Depending on the style of the dress, the hemming might be a good chunk of that quote. Because of the ruffling in my dress, it cost a lot more to get it hemmed because it was a lot of work to make sure all the ruffles lined up correctly. Also, the bust had to be let out, and I had beading that had to be adjusted to allow for that. While $400 is high, there might not be a way around it if there are a lot of details involved.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Depending on the detail of your dress, the hem and side seams could be raising the price for alterations.  However, only if it's really intricate work (ie. lace and beading).  A french bustle is a lot of work but I would still take it to an independent seamstress.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards