Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Whats your opinion

What is your opinion on the pick up skirt on a wedding dress? I'm torn between getting a pick up skirt or just a straight skirt.
Thanks
Lindsay

Re: Whats your opinion

• Options
    depends how tall you are and what the material is.  I have a 5foot 3 friend that had a lovely one.. silk dress.  The other one was on a similar sized girl but the dress looked cheap so looked like toilet paper.
  • Options
    Was never a big fan of pick-up. LOL at the whipped-cream effect, so true!!
    My dress is a Sophia Tolli Gwyneth, it's got two or three pick-ups, that's it.
    What dress are you considering?
  • Options
    I've never seen pickups that I like.  They just make the skirt look wrinkled.  Truly, pickup skirts shall be the pastel ruffled tuxes of our generation.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I have to agree with pp, that a skirt that has pick-ups all over and are symmetrical so that they make the dress look like whipped cream or a cupcake...those are gross.  A few assymetrical ones here and there are good.  Mine is like that, a few assymetrical ones so they almost look random and sort of look like luxe draping.  But too many - i.e., more than 4 or 5 - is too much.

I think the material is also a big consideration; it has to be a good, luxe-looking material that doesn't look cheap so the skirt doesn't look wrinkled or like toilet paper [haha!]. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
  • Options
    Personally not a fan, but I knew I wanted a clean line.
  • Options
    I agree with some pp's, some just look like cool whip and are not that pretty. Some are nicely done though. Do you have a pic of the dress you can post?

My dress has a lace bodice with an asymetrical dropped-waist, then the skirt is organza with asymetric picks-ups. I wanted something unique (and I was originally against pick-ups, till I saw them on this dress). Mine is the Maggie Sottero Natalina (a recently discontinued style). I am 5'8" and will be wearing heels with my dress. (pic in siggy/more in bio, but dress needs steamed bad)

IMO, most ballgowns look overwhelming on petite women and pick-ups can make a dress appear even moreso.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    I love the pick ups ,but I do agree if you are petite it may swallow you up.  But I think they can be very pretty and fun. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards