Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Poll: Train length!

So, I'm casually browsing dresses (18 months off...not a lot of time to sit on a dress, but not like I have to rush out and buy one TOMORROW OMG!!) and I'm noting all the different train lengths.  I was wondering how many people actually had the chathedral like trains, or if anyone said, "eh, no thanks" to a train at all (like I think I want to!) 

So....tell me about your dress! :)

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Poll: Train length!

• Options

I had a Cathedral length. You don't have to have a train. Just depends on what you prefer. Although for a super formal/elaborate wedding I would kind of expect a train but again it's really up to the bride.

• Options
    I didn't really want a train, but I love dress so much that the train length didn't bother me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I have a semi-cathedral length train and i can't wait for it!!!
  • Options
    Mine is cathedral length!  It's gorgeous, but I hope it's not too heavy to carry around in July at the reception (even with a bussle). 
  • Options
    I had a semi-cathedral train.  At first I only wanted a sweep train but when I started trying on dresses I started liking the idea of a longer train.  I figured I will only get to do this once (same with the veil) so I might as well do it all out.

If you're not sure what length you'd like, you'll start to get the idea when you try on dresses.  And remember if there's a dress you really like (and there's not much detail to the train) you can always get the train shortened.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have a cathedral length train.  What do you like?
  • Options
    Mine is sweep (very short). My mom wanted me to have a long train, but I found I didn't really like them, it was too heavy, and also my FI kind of has a limp because he has CP, and he was afraid he may trip on a really long train when we are walking back up the aisle after the ceremony, plus I fell in love with a dress that had a sweep. I just depends on what you like.
  • Options
    Chapel length.  It flows really well with my dress (ballgown), but doesn't go overboard.
  • Options
    The train on my dress is kind of shortish, I guess, but it has a detachable train that's pretty long, I think semi-cathedral but I'm not sure. http://www.bcouture.ie/images/mm/SILENCIO_c.html
  • Options
    My dress has a very short train and a slightly longer court train. I am, however wearing a cathedral length mantilla style veil that many of the women in my family (including my mom) have worn since early 20th century.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your responses!  I'm not really sure I want a train, but I will definitely keep in mind to try on all different styles so that I'm sure to find the right one for me.  All of your dresses are so beautiful - I'm sure you will look gorgeous on your special day (and if you already had your special day, I KNOW you looked gorgeous =]])  Thanks again!

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
    oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mine was chapel length.  I wanted a train, but nothing too long (I had to go around corners in our aisle) or heavy.  It was the perfect length for me.  PIB
  • Options
    Mine is a sweep. I'm actually a little nervous that it's too short, but I loved the dress so much in the store and it seemed plenty long in there. I highly doubt I will even notice day of. But if I was picking just on train I like chapel length best.
  • Options
    I guess mine would be called semi-cathedral?  I don't really know.  No experience with these things! :D  Initially I wasn't going to have a train at all, figuring that I'm a klutz, I'll step on it, it'll be a nuisance for an outdoor wedding, etc, etc.  But what I ended up finding out as I tried on dresses was that I quickly learned how to move around in them (kick out to the side to move the train back) and I wasn't tripping.  So then I decided it didn't matter that much.  I ended up with the train I have because I love the dress.
  • Options
    I have a Chapel length train (Medium length I believe), though I really adore sweep trains and wish mine had one!
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Jennifer's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options

Mine is chapel length and I love it!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_poll-train-length?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:bb0dd005-df7f-49d6-ba11-a2eb9bfb2dcePost:bfe2e227-6006-4642-846b-f7f42a4f279e">Re: Poll: Train length!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had a semi-cathedral train.  At first I only wanted a sweep train but when I started trying on dresses I started liking the idea of a longer train.  I figured I will only get to do this once (same with the veil) so I might as well do it all out. If you're not sure what length you'd like, you'll start to get the idea when you try on dresses.  And remember if there's a dress you really like (and there's not much detail to the train) you can always get the train shortened.
    Posted by jagore08[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing! I was set on the sweep train and LOVED the dress, but when I tried on a dress with a longer train I was blown away.  I ended up with the same designer, same type of dress but a semi-cathedral train
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Mine is a sweep train (short). One thing I am running into, and I don't know if it's just me or something typical with shorter trains, is that it's a bit tricky to bustle, since there's not a lot to work with.  Part of the issue with mine is that the bottom of the dress has a wide hem all the way around, and it's been a challenge to find a good way to bustle so that the hem "maintains its integrity" when bustled.  Just something to keep in mind when you look at trains.  

At first I didn't think I'd need a bustle at all, but then FI and signed up for dance lessons and I realized I need to be able to move in all directions with ease.  That would not happen if my train stayed dragging on the floor during a dance.

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards