Attire & Accessories Forum

Alterations at David's

Does anyone know how expensive alterations at David's Bridal are?  I need a bustle, hemline and for it to be taken in by the bust.  The lady there told me it would "probably" be $150, but I've heard so many people say they are really expensive.  Just not sure if I should believe that quote or still be looking elsewere.

Re: Alterations at David's

• David's is famous for their expensive alterations.  That's probably where they make a good deal of their money since their dresses are affordable.  I would definitely ask your local board for independent seamstress recommendations and get quotes from them.
    Anniversary
  • A friend had her bustle done there for $250. I paid that to shorten and take in my dress 3 sizes. I would definetly take your dress somewhere else for alterations. I know people who ahve been happy with dresses there, but no one who has been happy with alterations there.
  • edited April 2011
    Oh god don't go to davids. They are pricey and have messed up on 3 dresses that I know of. My friends wedding gown and then 2 dresses that other friends wore for weddings. They didn't take the time to listen to how tight she needed the dress and on her wedding day, she was pullinh it up the whole time. She also tripped because they didn't make the bussel correctly.

I got my dress at Demetrios which is a an more upscale bouqitue and they even only charged me $350 for hem, bussell and to take my dress from a size 12 to a 2!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_alterations-davids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:bba77f63-b42a-4ecd-a0a4-4dff230ade0ePost:38dbf3b4-27cd-4db8-8159-d4266545f63c">Re: Alterations at David's</a>:
    [QUOTE]A friend had her bustle done there for $250. I paid that to shorten and take in my dress 3 sizes. I would definetly take your dress somewhere else for alterations. I know people who ahve been happy with dresses there, but no one who has been happy with alterations there.
    Posted by AeroStyle[/QUOTE]

<div>Yikes! My alterations quote wasn't even half that at alfred angelo....</div><div>
    </div><div>DEFINITELY take it somewhere else.</div>
  • I would check on your local board for recs on independent seamstresses. I had a bustle and hem on my dress from a local lady and it was $90. Like PP said, Davids is notorious for their high alterations prices.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• I had my alterations done there and they were not expensive. My 7 point bustle was only $63 and my hem and taking in around the bust was less than $100. They do post their prices very clearly in the store. My dress is and the work they did turned out wonderful.
  • My roommate just got her alterations done at David's.  She had to have a rush job because her dress (and wedding) is in Oregon but she lives in Indiana.   So when she went to finilaize her plans she went to Davids.  It was about $250 and I think she said $25 was to do the rush job.

She had the hem brought up.  They changed the back to a corset back because she has gained muscle in her back so the dress was too tight there.   She had the bust taken in just a little.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards