Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Is my dress ugly?...Please be honest!

I fell in love with, and bought this dress:

http://www.justinalexanderbridal.com/wedding_dresses/8606

The dress truly looks nicer in person, and I do think it suits my body very well because I'm tall and have few curves. The back of the dress also fits much tighter in the bum area making it more flattering.

After buying it though I started to doubt it because someone said they weren't a fan, and on another wedding website barely anyone commented on it when all these other dresses are getting "oooooohs" and ahhhhhs".

I know it's all about what the bride loves and "no one else's opinion should matter" but I think, to an extent, I'd like to know if I'm going to be judged negatively on my wedding day by more than a couple of people.

So I'm asking for a straight-up honest opinon: if you saw someone wearing this dress, what would you think?

Re: Is my dress ugly?...Please be honest!

• Options
    SpartanCatSpartanCat member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Being perfectly honest, I'm not a fan of the tulle at the bottom, just my personal preference but overall, I think it's really pretty. I like the style : )

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    It's definitely  not ugly.  It's not my style.  Well, everything but the bust and halter is my style.  I LOVE the back though.  It will change once you're in it.  If you're happy and feel beautiful, people will think you and the dress are beautiful!
  • Options
    saacjwsaacjw member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I think it's very pretty. I'd like to see what it looks like on you because I could definately see it being way more flattering on. I love the detailing, especially the buttons in the back, and I like the lacey bit on the bottom. I've never been a big fan of the skirt that flairs at the thigh, but it's popular and some people look really good in it. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't like most fit-and-flares, but I really like the shape of that. And I love the lace. And that halter looks really elegant. I'm not sure about the "sparklies" that are on the neckline, they seem kind of out of place on the rest of it, but, overall, I think it's really pretty. 
  • Options
    EK2013EK2013 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_is-my-dress-uglyplease-be-honest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:be194f31-0a83-4185-9e05-c488b66b42e3Post:2488b62f-c609-4486-bcaa-37e2c050971d">Is my dress ugly?...Please be honest!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I fell in love with, and bought this dress: <a href="http://www.justinalexanderbridal.com/wedding_dresses/8606" rel="nofollow">http://www.justinalexanderbridal.com/wedding_dresses/8606</a> The dress truly looks nicer in person, and I do think it suits my body very well because I'm tall and have few curves. The back of the dress also fits much tighter in the bum area making it more flattering. After buying it though I started to doubt it because someone said they weren't a fan, and on another wedding website barely anyone commented on it when all these other dresses are getting "oooooohs" and ahhhhhs". I know it's all about what the bride loves and "no one else's opinion should matter" but I think, to an extent, I'd like to know if I'm going to be judged negatively on my wedding day by more than a couple of people. So I'm asking for a straight-up honest opinon: if you saw someone wearing this dress, what would you think?
    Posted by dgs1[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think what people are going to notice will be: 1) the smile on your face 2) the exciting bustline and 3) the lace at the bottom. The dress looks pretty in this picture, but the model doesn't really have the curves for it, so it sounds like it looks better on you. Everyone will love it on the day of your wedding.

</div>
  • Options
    It is very pretty. If you feel beautiful in it, it is a winner. You love the dress. The glow it will give you wearing it will make you gorgeous.
  • Options
    It's sooooooooooo beautiful dress....Never lie, it's real beautiful!!!!!
    Don't be afraid, just go with it on your big day!! You will be the queen!
    Every bride deserves the best Cheap Wedding Dresses
  • Options
    it's really a beautiful dress at least I love it .  you'll look nice on your big day !!!
  • Options
    I love it! I'm sure you will look fabulous, dont worry. :-)
    He stole my heart... So I'm stealing his last name.
  • Options
    That dress is lovely.
  • Options
    As a fellow Justin Alexander bride, I just have to say his dresses look SO much better on than on the models.  It's NMS but I'm sure you look lovely in it!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    When I went dress shopping, I had a very specific image in my mind, and I did not end up with a dress that matched that image.  In fact, when I look at the dress on the store's website, I think it looks really "bleh."  But ON me, it looked awesome.  I'm sure if I had shown it to people online, they would have said, "Oh it's nice, but I'm not a big fan of _______" because it does look so different on.

Same for you.  Also, personal preferences play a big part in it.  When you look great in a dress, no one really notices that stuff -- they notice how amazing you look and how happy you are.  I wouldn't worry so much about what others think.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I think it looks amazing. I've tried on over 100 dresses (i bought mermaid/fit flare) and while  I haven't seen it on you in person it looks more than just pretty.  Most can be pretty.  This looks sophisticated and elegant and has some personality to it with the halter and sparkle.  Personality is what the endless sea of white dresses are missing. Not just pretty but amazing!  Good choice!  Happy Wedding!
  • Options
    I actually love it!  Not at all what I was expecting from your post.  :)

I can imagine that dress looking really good on a person instead of on the model.  And I totally agree with PP that the dress looks elegant but with personality.  Not every dress is for every person -- I am not a big fan of the big ballgowns that make other people go oooh -- but perhaps taht is because I am petite.  My aunt (who I'm very close to) loved another dress on me than the one I ended up getting because she said the other one was more 'bridal.'  I suppose the one I ended up getting was too 'modern' for her -- but I love it, even though it's nothing I thought I'd get.  It's fit and flare, not quite a mermaid, but still different than I thought.  So it might not be what other people would choose for themselves, but it's the one YOU would choose for YOU. 

Love it!

346 Invited imageimage 206 Are ready to party!! image 115 Are missing out image 28 Are making me wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's beautiful!
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My dress is also a mermaid fit, so I'm partial.  I really like that dress.  Looking at it, I would say its not my style, but the reality is, I didn't know what dress was my style until I got it on and looked at pictures of it on me (the mirror wasn't even as helpful!).  It sounds like it is going to really fit your body shape too!
  • Options
    I think it's beautiful. I'm not usually a fan of halter tops for wedding gowns, but this one is very elegant. The fabric on the bottom reminds me of my pronovias gown, so I may be a little biased. It is in no way ugly/cheesy/cheap/unoriginal in any way, so don't feel unsure!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wow, it's stunning! I really like it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! I currently have no pics of the dress on me, and it's a sample so it fits too big right now and I think that's added to the worrying quite a bit so I'm going to try it on properly this weekend and that way I can look at photos of me and not the model. This dress is such a big deal to me because I feel like I was a bit of an 'ugly duckling' growing up haha, and I kinda want to make a statement with it. And in response to some posts: I think if I wear some sparkly jewelry it will match better with the beading on the bust, or maybe a sparkly bordered veil? Also, it's quite hard to see in the photo but the lace from the bodice sort of fades into the tulle skirt and there are litlle cascading bits of lace that go all the way to the bottom it's not just abrupt tulle. I'll try to post pics of it on me when I get them :
  • Options
    I think it's gorgeous!

I personally wouldn't wear it because I wouldn't feel comfortable exposing that much of my back, but that's my own insecurities and has nothing to do with the dress itself.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think it's stunning and very elegant!  It's not what I would wear, but that's only because I specifically wanted a ball gown.  If you like it and feel pretty in it, that's all that matters.  Don't let other opinions get you down.  They're just sippin' on the Hater-ade!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's definitely not my style but I can totally see how it would work with someone who is tall and no curves. I think you should keep it and work it on your wedding day!!
    TTC #1 since June 2012
  • Options
    divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_is-my-dress-uglyplease-be-honest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:be194f31-0a83-4185-9e05-c488b66b42e3Post:f16db327-09f1-4d67-9d85-710a5d25ee06">Re:Is my dress ugly?...Please be honest!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone for the feedback! I currently have no pics of the dress on me, and it's a sample so it fits too big right now and I think that's added to the worrying quite a bit so I'm going to try it on properly this weekend and that way I can look at photos of me and not the model. This dress is such a big deal to me because I feel like I was a bit of an 'ugly duckling' growing up haha, and I kinda want to make a statement with it. And in response to some posts: <strong>I think if I wear some sparkly jewelry it will match better with the beading on the bust, or maybe a sparkly bordered veil?</strong> Also, it's quite hard to see in the photo but the lace from the bodice sort of fades into the tulle skirt and there are litlle cascading bits of lace that go all the way to the bottom it's not just abrupt tulle. I'll try to post pics of it on me when I get them :
    Posted by dgs1[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Agreed. Thinking about that with your dress would really work. Maybe some sparkly earrings and a veil that has just a few crystals scattered throughout would be lovely. </div>
  • Options
    I like the material but I'm not such a fan of the halter and the shiny satin part.

Can you post a picture of you in the dress?  It would definitely help.
  • Options
    So, I'm one of the most honest people and I tend not to hold things back, so I was ready to get brutal on here, but seriously that dress is gorgeous! Especially if you actually look like a real lady (not a toothpick, like the model) I'm sure it will accentuate your features! :) It's very pretty and unique! If you love it, everyone else will love it too!!!! And, if they don't love it, then you'd probably think their choice is ugly. To each his own! :) Rock that dress like it's stolen girlfriend!! :D

April 2013 - October Siggy Challenge: Venue

Save the Date - Music Poster Inspired STD's

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It is just my style!
  • Options
    i think it's lovely. there is no ugly dress, just everyone has different taste. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards