Attire & Accessories Forum

Cleaning a Yellowed Silk Tulle Veil

Hello ladies! 
I was hoping I could get some advice.  My MOH is lending me her veil as my something borrowed.... Problem is, its is about 4-5 years old and has yellowed.  I have spoke with some dry cleaners and they were no help.  Google searching didn't help much either as well :(
I was hoping someone by chance knows how to clean a yellowed silk tulle veil.  I've read soaking in a vinegar/water solution, oxy clean.... etc, but I don't want to just try and risk ruining my friends veil.
TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 164 Invited so far! image 53 Are ready to party!
image 10 Will be missing out image 101 Are MIA

Re: Cleaning a Yellowed Silk Tulle Veil

• Honestly, I would tell your friend that if she wants to try and clean it/help you try and clean it that you would still love to use it and if not yoiu should just go buy your own and find something else for something borrowed.

That way you can guage how much she cares if her veil gets ruined. I personally wouldn't want to be responsibe for something like that and would erre on the side of caution and just buy my own.
  • For my parent's 50th anniversary party I located her original veil so we could display it. I cleaned it the best I could.

Fill bathroom sink with warm water & mix in & make suds of Ivory Snow liquid detergent for baby's clothing (it's gentle). Let it soak for a while, then squeeze the detergent into the tulle gently, then empty sink & repeat with warm water without adding more soap, until all the suds disappear. Hang to dry.

It can be done, the success of how much of the yellowing disappears varies.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards