Attire & Accessories Forum

Who Comes Wedding Dress Shopping?

I have an appointment to try on dresses this Saturday and plan to bring my mom and dad along. I also asked my 2 best friends to come (I don't have any siblings). What is typical/advised for the group to bring when dress shopping? 

Re: Who Comes Wedding Dress Shopping?

• I didn't ask anyone to help me dress shop. Some brides bring everyone they've known since birth.

So, it's really up to you. How many opinions do you truly want? Do those opinions even matter to you? Who is paying for the dress? etc etc

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_who-comes-wedding-dress-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:c146091b-9a78-4a31-8f1b-a8e2efdf389dPost:8ebdf7cd-23e6-4426-a7fd-c9dd683d7d07">Who Comes Wedding Dress Shopping?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have an appointment to try on dresses this Saturday and plan to bring my mom and dad along. I also asked my 2 best friends to come (I don't have any siblings). What is typical/advised for the group to bring when dress shopping? 
    Posted by Klarso713[/QUOTE]

You can bring whomever you'd like, and also, a good idea to bring whover willl be paying for the dress.

I encourage a small group though. The more people you invite, the more opinions you get, and often, those opinions conflict with each other and your own.  It gets chaotic, and many bridal salons don't have enough chairs for that many people to sit down.
  • I only took my sister with me. If you want their opinions on the dress then I would say take them all. If you just want them to see you in the dress you could consider taking some of them with you when you pick it up or get alterations. When I went to my appointment there was a girl in the room next to me who had about 10 people with her and it meant there was nowhere for the one person that I brought with me to sit. It also meant that I had a huge group of people (including a couple teenage boys) staring at me every time I came out of the dressing room and giving me their opinions on the dresses I was trying on just because they were taking up all my space too. So I would say take the people whose opinions you want, but also consider the other people that are in the salon and how much room there will be.
  • I went with my mom and my FMIL to go look at dresses. I ended up finding one. I would have liked my sisters to attend, but it was nice with just my mom and FMIL.
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_who-comes-wedding-dress-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:c146091b-9a78-4a31-8f1b-a8e2efdf389dPost:7c8ba323-54e0-43f6-bc80-21e4b53acf88">Re: Who Comes Wedding Dress Shopping?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I only took my sister with me. If you want their opinions on the dress then I would say take them all. If you just want them to see you in the dress you could consider taking some of them with you when you pick it up or get alterations. <strong>When I went to my appointment there was a girl in the room next to me who had about 10 people with her and it meant there was nowhere for the one person that I brought with me to sit. It also meant that I had a huge group of people (including a couple teenage boys) staring at me every time I came out of the dressing room and giving me their opinions on the dresses I was trying on just because they were taking up all my space too.</strong> So I would say take the people whose opinions you want, but also consider the other people that are in the salon and how much room there will be.
    Posted by tammym1001[/QUOTE]

I know this ship has sailed, but if this happens to you in the future, or to any other bride who might be reading this, you should ask the consultant to have some of the people removed.  That is ridiculous.
  • like PPs have said -- its up to you and your personality. 

personally, i like making decisions on my own. i brought my mom with me to most of my 'looking around'  shopping trips. then i went back to 2-3 salons on my own to narrow it down.  I actually really liked shopping on my own.  the consultants gave me some simple notes about each dress, but ultimately I had no distractions. when i had it down to 2 dresses, i took mom and MIL to help me make the final decision. I definitely wanted to include my MIL in the process since she had 2 sons.... every mom deserves to have fun dress-shopping time! =)

to include friends, i did have a 'looking around' appoitnment that i brought my friends to (they just wanted to have a shopping day with me. they didn't care if i picked the dress that day or not.)
    after purchasing, i tried the dress on when i brought my girls to buy their dresses...so that we could see all of us together.

bottom line - do what YOU are comfortable with. there's plenty of other opportunities for you to show off the dress to whomever you want =)

• Ask a friend who is already married and went through dress shopping expieriences...
  • I suggest people who know you best and people who's opinion matters the most to you but a SMALL group. A big group with many different opinions can be overwhelming.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards