Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Alterations - Bad experience changed into a positive experience.

I took my dress to get it fitted at David's Bridal. I told the seamstress at least ten times that I don't want a train and asked her to remove it. She said that I needed a train for pictures, for the ceremony and for draping. She said my only option is the bustle. 

I went back to pick it up and the bustle didn't look right, but I thought that this was my only option. I was confused because the front of the dress has draping and they had to cut and hem the bottom front of it, so I can walk. That looked fine.

Later, I took it home and the bustle started falling apart. I called a David's bridal manager and told her that I didn't want a bustle to begin with. I always want a dress without a train. She said that David's bridal doesn't cut trains even though I was told when I purchased the dress that they can cut my train off. I'm taking it back tonight, so they can take a look at it. The manager was very good at listening to me and wanted to help me, so I really appreciate her help.

I can't be the only bride that doesn't like trains on myself. Did anyone else have a similar david's bridal experience? Did they offer you any refunds on alternations? They didn't alter my dress that much and charged me hundreds of dollars. I never wanted a bustle and I got one that was falling apart after walking around for a few minutes. I shouldn't have to pay for a bustle that isn't working and I only got it because I was misinformed that this was my only option since they refused to cut the train.

UPDATE:

I went to david's bridal and the manager was fantastic. She listened to my story and wanted to make me happy with my purchase. The manager had the head seamstress measure the back of my dress, and they are removing the train. After the back was pinned, it was the perfect length. Plus, they even refunded the difference between the bustle and the train.

I'm so happy about my dress' alterations and can't wait to see the final product. Smile

Re: Alterations - Bad experience changed into a positive experience.

• Options
    I was told by David's they would not remove the train so I ended up not having the alterations done there. I took the dress elsewhere and the lady I worked with was fantastic. No train left and I love my dress. Sorry it sucks if someone said they would originally but then you found out they wouldn't.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    First, you should never have used DB for alterations because they suck.

Second, I would ask for your money back since you are not happy with how it turned out and it is falling apart.  They may fight you on this and not give you your money back, but even if they don't I wouldn't let them touch my dress again.

Thrid, find another seamstress.  Any good seamstress can certainly remove the train for you and a private seamstress is usually a lot cheaper then going through DB or other big chain stores.

• Options
    Davids bridal said they would fix it for free, so I want to take it there first. I'm still on the fence whether I should have them remove the train or not. I will probably have to go there anyway to ask for money back, so I have to go to the store no matter what. (I do have a back up seamstress that specializes in fixing bridal mistakes.)

I promised myself that I would not leave the store if their only option was to fix the bustle. I'm just so sad that I was lied to the entire time. In the process, it cost my mom so much money. I shouldn't have to pay for alternations especially if I was vocal about it.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_davids-bridal-alternations-bad-bustle-that-i-never-wanted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:c62a0936-17da-497f-8506-042d232104aaPost:87ea1a49-57eb-4cdc-a105-d6fa7cae79c8">Re: Alternations - Bad bustle that I never wanted.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Davids bridal said they would fix it for free, so I want to take it there first. I'm still on the fence whether I should have them remove the train or not. I will probably have to go there anyway to ask for money back, so I have to go to the store no matter what. (I do have a back up seamstress that specializes in fixing bridal mistakes.) I promised myself that I would not leave the store if their only option was to fix the bustle. I'm just so sad that I was lied to the entire time. In the process, it cost my mom so much money. I shouldn't have to pay for alternations especially if I was vocal about it.
    Posted by vlaughead[/QUOTE]

Honestly I wouldn't trust them to fix it.  If their bustle work is any indication of their alteration abilities I would be using the back-up seamstress.

• Options
    I wouldn't trust them with your dress.  I had my train removed and it was no big deal.  More pricey then a bustle though for sure.  Find another seamstress so you can get what you want.  
  • Options
    I would never in a million years let DB alter my dress. Take it to another seamstress and get her to chop off your train. It's really not a big deal.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Not trying to be mean, but I thought it was just a typo until I saw it again in the body of your post.  It's alterations, not "alternations".  Sorry, it was driving me nuts.
  • Options
    I didn't get my wedding dress from David's Bridal but I have purchased a bridesmaids dress there and they were HORRIBLE! The sales people were great but the alterations department was a disaster. The bride who's wedding I was in got her dress and the bridesmaids dresses from there. They never called the bride to tell her her dress was in and would not return her calls. So we rode over there so she could try it on. You have to make an appointment there but with the nearest DB being an hour away we weren't leaving. The seamstress then started speaking in Spanish about us when I eventually told her how rude it was to speak about her customer when there standing right in front of them even if it's in another language. The bride is 5'0'' and she purchased a one shoulder gown and I stand at about 5'5'' and I can see straight down her dress at the cleavage area and the seamstress refused to tighten it for her even after she begged and pleaded. I know she paid a fortune for her alterations there and I paid at lease $150 for my alterations for the bridesmaids dress and I think the dress itself cost $175. I'm so sorry you had to deal with them but I don't refer anyone I know to get their dress bought at DB to get their alterations done there also.
    TTC #1 since June 2012
  • Options
    I got a dress with no train and I love that fact about it so I understand your not wanting one. I got mine from DB as well and their reasons for not altering the train are pretty straight-forward; if they alter it that much it changes the dress too much and could reflect badly on the designer. It's the same reason some caterers don't allow outside food- if they serve it and it's terrible, it would be bad for their reputation. If you want to have the train taken off, you'd have to take it to an outside seamstress, period. I would definitely be talking to their alterations department about the awful work they've already done! I personally am getting my dress altered at my DB because knowing that if the work is done badly by their own people, they can reorder or replace the dress, a guarantee that disappears as soon as you take it to another place. Of course, there are plenty of seamstresses who can do the work but my DB has good alterations reviews and the price was comparable to other reputable seamstress in the area (cheaper, actually.) Good luck!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I encourage you to go back and ask for a refund on the price you paid for the alterations and then take it somewhere else.   DB has a horrible reputation for making huge mistakes and overcharging for alterations. 
  • Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment

RE your ETA: I'm so glad to hear that things turned out ok and they're making up for this issue. Good luck!  Post pics of before and after once it's done.

• Options
    In my opinion, it was an error to even purchase a dress from DB and not a real bridal salon.  They are not known for their service or even professionalism for alterations (some of their seamstresses take short cuts because they are paid by the hour) so you may not be getting the design/alterations you need for your dress.  Speak with the manager or district manager to get what you want.  Hope this helps out.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_davids-bridal-alternations-bad-bustle-that-i-never-wanted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:c62a0936-17da-497f-8506-042d232104aaPost:4650d7dc-f302-4289-a765-99e136dfd3fe">Re: Alterations - Bad experience changed into a positive experience.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In my opinion, it was an error to even purchase a dress from DB and not a real bridal salon.  They are not known for their service or even professionalism for alterations (some of their seamstresses take short cuts because they are paid by the hour) so you may not be getting the design/alterations you need for your dress.  Speak with the manager or district manager to get what you want.  Hope this helps out.
    Posted by cayharrop[/QUOTE]

<div>That's an awfully big judgment and I will personally say i don't think my choice to purchase my dress was an "error" but thanks for that unsolicited opinion that I didn't go to a "real" bridal salon. The place I went had great service, I was my salesperson's only client and she pulled dresses I wanted, checked other stores for sizes (I'm in the plus-sized category,) and was conscientious of my budget (<$500) and I had nothing but a great experience with them. As plenty of people have mentioned, it's a national chain of stores. No one should expect the same staff or service in every one and just like any other store, you have good ones and bad ones. The fact that there are more of them means the chances of someone having a bad experience is greater. (Also, if someone was paid by the hour, why would they take shortcuts...wouldn't they get paid more if they take more time on the dress??) </div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I love my david's bridal dress and I will love my alterations! My budget was less than $1000 for my dress and accessories. I wanted to put that extra money towards other parts of the wedding and our honeymoon. 

I did go to local salons, maybe it's just my area, but I really didn't have good experiences there. The ones that I went to had a very small selection of dresses, and the sales person were not as friendly as my local david's bridal. I'm very picky about what I wanted in my dress, so I didn't find anything that I liked at local salons. (I'm sure there are plenty of local salons that offer more dresses, but I didn't find any in my area.)

Cayharrop, I'm very happy that you had a great experience at a local salon. I'm sure that you have purchased a beautiful dress there that you love, just as much as random4180 and I found dresses at David's bridal that we love. We all will make beautiful brides in our gorgeous dresses that we have chosen no matter where we purchase them.Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards