Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Budget for Bridesmaid Dresses?

Who decides this?  The bridesmaids? The last wedding I was in the dress was about $170, not including alterations and after a discount for them being bought from the same boutique as the wedding dress. Is this an average, a norm?  Is this a lot, a little?  Do you know what your bridesmaids dresses are costing?  I've fallen in love with one that is $330. Is that extreme?  Could I offer to give some dollars to each bridesmaid to make it less extreme? 

Re: Budget for Bridesmaid Dresses?

• Options
    $330 is way too much unless your BM are super rich and don't mind buying a dress for $330 and probably won't wear it again!  $150 or less is ideal IMO, but you should have a private conversation with each of your BM and ask them what they would be comfortable spending.  
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I saw a lot I loved for $200, $300 but I know my (5) BMs individual situations so I went with something I loved...and each one (5 different dresses, same collection) was $150 or less including alterations.

I'd think $175 is still considerate (again, depending on the ladies' finances); if your heart is really set on an expensive dress I'd consider, as you mentioned, chipping in a good portion.
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You need to talk to each BM privately BEFORE you start looking for dresses. Once you get a price quote from each of them, set the budget at the range that they can all afford - meaning, whatever the lowest price quote was. Or set it at a level where they will only chip in that amount, and you will contribute the rest (so if the lowest quote was $150 and your dream dress is $175, give each girl $25 to help out).

I e-mailed my two BMs to ask what they would be comfortable spending, and they each said that anything up to $200 was reasonable for them. We wound up selecting dresses that cost $129 each - they will get alterations done at local tailor shops, and they can wear whatever shoes and jewelry they like. I didn't mandate pro hair and makeup, but they both said that they will have it done anyway.
  • Options
    IMO, $330 is a lot. Personally, if I was the BM, I would not be able to come up with that much money for a dress. Like PP said, if your girls are wealthy & don't mind, then fine, but I'd definetly talk to them about it first. 

I've been a BM three times, and each dress was in the neighborhood of $150. For my wedding, the BMs dresses were $75.
  • Options
    I searched and searched for my bm's dresses because being in so many wedding and spending so much on a dress that I would never wear again, I wanted to make sure if they weren't going to wear it again, it wasn't much that they were spending on a one time use!!!! I ended up not going through a salon and ordered them from a department store and shopped the clearance. This is what I ended up getting and everyone was thrilled at the deal they were getting and that i was trying to keep things on the cheap for them.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3049096/0~2376788~6002242~6007533~6025977?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6025977&P=1
  • Options
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious (not sarcastic at all).  I know its more than it should be, but its such a unique and beautiful look.  Hmmm, I guess I will either have to find something else that will do, or budget in some dollars to give them to compensate for the huge cost... probably at least $150/dress.

I wish pretty things cost less. 
  • Options
    Oh, and I will be talking budgets and shopping with the bridesmaids.  I just was looking at pictures and found this one first.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_budget-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:c6ea5ca1-05f6-409e-a65e-a60fa149494bPost:8f341bf8-c708-4422-a85e-defa2ecbc473">Re: Budget for Bridesmaid Dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I searched and searched for my bm's dresses because being in so many wedding and spending so much on a dress that I would never wear again, I wanted to make sure if they weren't going to wear it again, it wasn't much that they were spending on a one time use!!!! I ended up not going through a salon and ordered them from a department store and shopped the clearance. This is what I ended up getting and everyone was thrilled at the deal they were getting and that i was trying to keep things on the cheap for them. <a href="http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3049096/0~2376788~6002242~6007533~6025977?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6025977&P=1" rel="nofollow">http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3049096/0~2376788~6002242~6007533~6025977?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6025977&P=1</a>
    Posted by nadine84[/QUOTE]

I love this dress-my friend got it to wear to her rehersal dinner. I keep hoping i'll have an event to go to so I can borrow it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_budget-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:c6ea5ca1-05f6-409e-a65e-a60fa149494bPost:2cce3170-4110-4ffc-ad86-338ead858208">Re: Budget for Bridesmaid Dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for pointing out the obvious (not sarcastic at all).  I know its more than it should be, but its such a unique and beautiful look. 
    Posted by SimplyIndulgent[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I wasn't being sarcastic and if you didn't want the obvious you shouldn't have asked if it was too extreme.  You asked and I answered.</div>
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    No, but thats why I wrote it.... I didn't want to sound sarcastic...... Jeez.....
  • Options
    I know you can't add tone with typing, but I was doing the best I could to actually say thanks for being blunt.  
  • Options
    Well in my humble opinion, $330, is not too much. when my MOH and I went looking at dresses we couldn't find anything in the $100 range that didn't look cheap, made of synthetic fabrics and that she could wear again. However I did negotiate w/ the dress shop so her dress is around $260.
    But I would definitely talk to your BM about it.
  • Options
    I could probably swing $330 (wouldn't be too happy about it, but I could), but I'm not the one who has to buy it.  Only your bridesmaids can answer this question.

Also, when you have the conversation, "How much are you willing to spend on the dress, including alterations?" is good.  "I found an amazing dress for $330, is that okay?" is bad.  The second approach will make them feel pressured into saying that it's okay even if it's not, because they don't want to disappoint you.  Also, be sure to have the conversation individually rather than in a group; again, no one wants to be the only person to admit that they're on a much tighter budget.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Which dress is it?? The one I love is also exactly $330. It's Enzoani Love A24. I think that price may be on the higher end in some circles, but if it's THE dress, you should try your best to get it even if you have to pay for it entirely or chip in half or whatever after talking to your girls. In my opinion, you shouldn't write off a dress due to cost. You can always move money around in your budget to pay for the perfect bm gowns if that's a priority. :)
  • Options
    That's a very pretty dress, are you doing in the colors pictured?  If you click on my name and scroll down to my lookbook, its the bridesmaid dress pictured.  Its by monique lhuillier and i love it in exactly that color.  Its a very unique column dress with a slit.  I love it because it has a formal feel, but it is still very fun and different.  Also that color!  I haven't found a green like that in any other dress line, they are all either very neonish, or very flat looking. 
  • Options
    If you absolutely have to have the dresses, and your BMs definitely can only pay part of the price, you need to pony up to cover the difference.  I found a line that I really liked, and the styles are all $200 for the knee length- but I asked them first if $200 was okay for them.  Granted, I paid $200 for their BM dresses, but you still have to check. 

Also, check into if places like netbride or Pearl's place carry the BM dresses at a cheaper price, or check some of the used gown sites.  That can significantly cut the prices.
  • Options
    I've only been in one wedding before, so I was not used to the concept of spending alot of money for dresses I would never wear again and was not comfortable asking my girls to do that.  We ended up finding gorgeous red cocktail dresses at The Limited and got them on sale for $57!  My girls all love them and can definitely (really) wear them again and they are very classy.  I had to be flexible about the style and color up front, I didn't know what we would find, but I love what we ended up with.
  • Options
    I would have preferred in th $150-250 range, but my girls were paying and most of them have tight finances, so we went with $90-120.
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Jennifer's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    $330 is more than my wedding gown cost!  I wouldn't go over $100 for a BM dress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards