Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Do NOT buy dresses with House of Brides

Want to warn fellow brides. DO NOT BUY ANY SORT OF DRESS FROM HOUSE OF BRIDES. I was a Bridesmaid in 2008 and we ordered our dresses from House of Brides. They were cheaper, we got them and everything was fine. So now that it's my wedding I decided to use them to keep costs down for my Bridesmaid. My wedding is in 24 days and House of Brides is giving two of my BMs the run around about how the distributor (Dessy Group) is running behind on their orders. It's a lie. Dessy Group sees the orders and can ship them today and will we just have to pay for them again. :(  House of Brides is a family owned business of thieves. They don't send dresses and from what else I can gather online - sending wrong sizes, switch size tags in dresses and send dresses with stains.  One of my BM who hasn't gotten her dress HoB ordered it from Dessy a size smaller so that's the only dress Dessy can send us.  I swear one other BM has a dress with switched tags because her dress after deciding to go a size up is tight.  The Dessy Group has been uh-mazing in helping us out with this situation, but House of Brides is horrible. Do not shop there!

Re: Do NOT buy dresses with House of Brides

• Options
    LiLe422LiLe422 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_do-not-buy-dresses-with-house-of-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:c83d3d01-b3c5-48cf-aaa8-8bbe3deb7888Post:28cbb470-fdd1-43c2-b4a6-a05935a3afe5">Do NOT buy dresses with House of Brides</a>:
    [QUOTE]Want to warn fellow brides. DO NOT BUY ANY SORT OF DRESS FROM HOUSE OF BRIDES. I was a Bridesmaid in 2008 and we ordered our dresses from House of Brides. They were cheaper, we got them and everything was fine. So now that it's my wedding I decided to use them to keep costs down for my Bridesmaid. My wedding is in 24 days and House of Brides is giving two of my BMs the run around about how the distributor (Dessy Group) is running behind on their orders. It's a lie. Dessy Group sees the orders and can ship them today and will we just have to pay for them again. :(  House of Brides is a family owned business of thieves. They don't send dresses and from what else I can gather online - sending wrong sizes, switch size tags in dresses and send dresses with stains.  One of my BM who hasn't gotten her dress HoB ordered it from Dessy a size smaller so that's the only dress Dessy can send us.  I swear one other BM has a dress with switched tags because her dress after deciding to go a size up is tight.  The Dessy Group has been uh-mazing in helping us out with this situation, but House of Brides is horrible. Do not shop there!
    Posted by ealynch12[/QUOTE]

Really, what did you expect from a deep discount outlet that sells their merchandise 1/2 off retail? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I am sorry to say but this is an instance of "you get what you pay for".

• Options
    you get what you pay for is pretty standard but still, a business is still A BUSINESS.  If you own a business you should be ethical and honest, regardless if you're selling cheap discounted budget friendly merchandise!  Ealynch12, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this headache, that's not fun and adds undue stress for you and your bridal party.  Hope it all works out in the end.  Have some sympathy ladies, you'd be squawking too if it was you in this situation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_do-not-buy-dresses-with-house-of-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:c83d3d01-b3c5-48cf-aaa8-8bbe3deb7888Post:1f356268-d30e-4b71-8e46-bbbbbe2d9d66">Re: Do NOT buy dresses with House of Brides</a>:
    [QUOTE]you get what you pay for is pretty standard but still, a business is still A BUSINESS.  <strong>If you own a business you should be ethical and honest, regardless if you're selling cheap discounted budget friendly merchandise</strong>!  Ealynch12, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this headache, that's not fun and adds undue stress for you and your bridal party.  Hope it all works out in the end.  Have some sympathy ladies, you'd be squawking too if it was you in this situation.
    Posted by icefog34[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is true, but the world does not work that way.  Business sometimes suck and they sometimes lie just to make money.  Is it unethical, heck yeah, but does it happen you betcha.  You take your chances when you buy from sites that sell dresses for over 50% the ticketed price.  A lot of times that is a huge red flag because how can they sell brand new dresses that are in current collections for such a low price?  Because the dress is most likely flawed in some way or is not even the actual dress pictured but a bad knockoff that is why.

This isn't anywhere near wedding related, but the other day I was looking for an authentic ravens jersey for my H.  I found a site that was selling the jerseys for over 50% off the original price of $250.  At first I thought this is great, but then a second later I had to ask myself what was wrong with these jerseys if they could sell them so inexpensively.  Needless to say I didn't purchase the jersey.  I also tried to look up reviews of the website and I could not find one, good or bad, so I knew I made the right choice.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_do-not-buy-dresses-with-house-of-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:c83d3d01-b3c5-48cf-aaa8-8bbe3deb7888Post:3a031ef9-06c1-4fc2-bf2f-64c70b1f4432">Re: Do NOT buy dresses with House of Brides</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do NOT buy dresses with House of Brides : Yes, that is true, but the world does not work that way.  Business sometimes suck and they sometimes lie just to make money.  Is it unethical, heck yeah, but does it happen you betcha.  You take your chances when you buy from sites that sell dresses for over 50% the ticketed price.  A lot of times that is a huge red flag because how can they sell brand new dresses that are in current collections for such a low price?  Because the dress is most likely flawed in some way or is not even the actual dress pictured but a bad knockoff that is why. This isn't anywhere near wedding related, but the other day I was looking for an authentic ravens jersey for my H.  I found a site that was selling the jerseys for over 50% off the original price of $250.  At first I thought this is great, but then a second later I had to ask myself what was wrong with these jerseys if they could sell them so inexpensively.  Needless to say I didn't purchase the jersey.  I also tried to look up reviews of the website and I could not find one, good or bad, so I knew I made the right choice.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]
    I totally agree with you, there are a ton of sh*tbag businesses out there.  I guess I'm just approaching it from the view point of, instead of making her feel even worse about the choice in company she chose to go with by telling her "well, you get what you pay for", it would have been nice to see "gosh, sorry that happened :/"  Know what I mean?  So many ladies get bashed and insulted and put down and I sometimes get tired of seeing it.  Had a LONG night at work last night so it rubbed me a little bit!  lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_do-not-buy-dresses-with-house-of-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:c83d3d01-b3c5-48cf-aaa8-8bbe3deb7888Post:b23147ac-8ef8-4093-95e3-61008c495f48">Re: Do NOT buy dresses with House of Brides</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do NOT buy dresses with House of Brides : I totally agree with you, there are a ton of sh*tbag businesses out there.  I guess I'm just approaching it from the view point of, instead of making her feel even worse about the choice in company she chose to go with by telling her "well, you get what you pay for", it would have been nice to see "gosh, sorry that happened :/"  Know what I mean?  <strong>So many ladies get bashed and insulted and put down and I sometimes get tired of seeing it.</strong>  Had a LONG night at work last night so it rubbed me a little bit!  lol

I understand, but sometimes the truth hurts and being blunt is the best way to say things.  Does it suck that the place screwed up her order?  Definitely.  But a person should always do their homework before purchasing from anywhere.  I did a quick google search and there are tons of bad reviews for HoB that pop right up.  I know she had a good experience when she first used them but businesses change.  Heck, for my wedding even when a vendor was referred to me by really close friends or family members I still researched the heck out of them before I booked them (if I booked them).  One good experience does not mean that it is the norm.

• Options
    LiLe422LiLe422 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_do-not-buy-dresses-with-house-of-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:c83d3d01-b3c5-48cf-aaa8-8bbe3deb7888Post:1f356268-d30e-4b71-8e46-bbbbbe2d9d66">Re: Do NOT buy dresses with House of Brides</a>:
    [QUOTE]you get what you pay for is pretty standard but still, a business is still A BUSINESS.  <strong>If you own a business you should be ethical and honest, regardless if you're selling cheap discounted budget friendly merchandise!</strong>  Ealynch12, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this headache, that's not fun and adds undue stress for you and your bridal party.  Hope it all works out in the end.  Have some sympathy ladies, <strong>you'd be squawking too if it was you in this situation.</strong>
    Posted by icefog34[/QUOTE]In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_do-not-buy-dresses-with-house-of-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:c83d3d01-b3c5-48cf-aaa8-8bbe3deb7888Post:b23147ac-8ef8-4093-95e3-61008c495f48">Re: Do NOT buy dresses with House of Bride</a>s

I agree, but welcome to the real world.  Businesses rip people off left and right.  As a consumer you have to be very aware of the type you do business with.  I stick with my first question...what did op expect when she was paying 1/2 off retail?
    Your probably right, too bad I would not be naive enough to deal with a company like HOB.  ETA: However, I would have...researched the company, seen the shiiiiit ton of bad reviews with problems such as your describing, and then took my business to a reputable store.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do NOT buy dresses with House of Brides : I totally agree with you, there are a ton of sh*tbag businesses out there.  I guess I'm just approaching it from the view point of, instead of making her feel even worse about the choice in company she chose to go with by telling her "well, you get what you pay for",<strong> it would have been nice to see "gosh, sorry that happened :/"</strong>  Know what I mean?  <strong>So many ladies get bashed and insulted and put down and I sometimes get tired of seeing it.</strong>  Had a LONG night at work last night so it rubbed me a little bit!  lol

Ummm, okay?  and blow rainbows up her ass?  I don't think so.
    Irrelevant, because no one was bashing or insulting. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I would overnight mail the receipt showing the dresses ordered with full details and payment info to the Chairman of the company,  Return receipt requested.

In the letter, detail what the individual store has done and how they have failed to fufil their contract.  That sales receipt and details are a contract for which you have given compensation (payment).  Inform him that if does not gife you a suitable solution to your problem  withing 5 business days, you will take legal action.  Google their corporate headquarters, I think it's in Illinois, not sure though.

Too many dresses shipped and not enough fabric is bullshitt.  Vera Wang pulled that on me for my daughter's senior prom gown and all of a sudden they had the fabric and a size 6 in silve blue was delivered in two days.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I do the same thing, lol...research, LOTS and lots of research!! :. Even then though, I still have reservations about companies until I deal with them directly. Overly cautious maybe, hehe.
    In Response to Re:Do NOT buy dresses with House of Brides:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do NOT buy dresses with House of Brides:In Response to Re: Do NOT buy dresses with House of Brides : I totally agree with you, there are a ton of shtbag businesses out there.nbsp; I guess I'm just approaching it from the view point of, instead of making her feel even worse about the choice in company she chose to go with by telling her "well, you get what you pay for", it would have been nice to see "gosh, sorry that happened :/"nbsp; Know what I mean?nbsp; So many ladies get bashed and insulted and put down and I sometimes get tired of seeing it.nbsp; Had a LONG night at work last night so it rubbed me a little bit!nbsp; lolPosted by icefog34I understand, but sometimes the truth hurts and being blunt is the best way to say things.nbsp; Does it suck that the place screwed up her order?nbsp; Definitely.nbsp; But a person should always do their homework before purchasing from anywhere.nbsp; I did a quick google search and there are tons of bad reviews for HoB that pop right up.nbsp; I know she had a good experience when she first used them but businesses change.nbsp; Heck, for my wedding even when a vendor was referred to me by really close friends or family members I still researched the heck out of them before I booked them if I booked them.nbsp; One good experience does not mean that it is the norm. Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

A frequent poster on the boards pushes HOB quite often but I can;t remember who it is.

It will come to me...

right.  Age is getting to my brain!

• Options
    I suggest that you contact Pearlsplace.com.  Tell them the story and they sell that designer for real less.  They may be able to help you with this problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards