Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Recycled Dresses

Has anyone ever worn a recycled wedding dress or a preowned dress? I am not ruling out the idea and have visited a couple websites, but would love some feedback from anyone who has ever purchased one before!

Thanks!

Re: Recycled Dresses

• Options
    I'm totally for it. It's better for the environment and your wallet. 
    I didn't realize there were recycle websites from which to purchase until after the fact... But I did buy my gown from an "outlet" wich was where bridal boutiques brought their old samples so I saved about 70% on it and it was in perfect condition. 

• Options
    I just received my dress yesterday from a seller on OnceWed. It is in perfect condition and I saved 40% (was $1,400 new, got it for $800). I knew going in which dress I wanted, since I had tried it on, so it just takes patience to stalk the sites and watch for your dress to pop up.

Good luck!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_recycled-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:c94e9e28-68d6-4a3c-8c4c-bdb683fbcc2ePost:76ab0aa1-6453-4a0e-b913-3703e9a27512">Re: Recycled Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just received my dress yesterday from a seller on OnceWed. It is in perfect condition and I saved 40% (was $1,400 new, got it for $800). I knew going in which dress I wanted, since I had tried it on, so it just takes patience to stalk the sites and watch for your dress to pop up. Good luck!
    Posted by ekislos1[/QUOTE]
     Did you order it in your size? I'm afraid about ordering the wrong size and then paying just as much in alterations.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_recycled-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:c94e9e28-68d6-4a3c-8c4c-bdb683fbcc2ePost:1878d3bf-e319-4d97-afa5-2dfa20830039">Re: Recycled Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recycled Dresses :  Did you order it in your size? I'm afraid about ordering the wrong size and then paying just as much in alterations.
    Posted by Jennvorpahl[/QUOTE]

It's best to try on the dress or at least a very similar one from the same designer to get an idea about size and fit before you buy it.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    I would recommend having yourself professional measured by a seamstress and then checking out the size chart for the designer of the used/new-used dress you're considering buying. That way you know what size to get. 

Also, keep in mind its always easier to take something in than let something out. Aim bigger if in doubt. 

Also, also keep in mind that corset back gives you much more room and you can get away with a smaller size. Zippers are not nearly as forgiving. 

Also, also, also keep in mind that wedding gown sizes generally run 2 sizes larger than your "street" size--so I bought my gown in a size 8 and I wear a size 4

Hope this helps :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I tried it in the salon and the sample (size 8) fit like a glove. I then ordered one size up (10) from OnceWed. I looked at the sizing chart and saw that all the measurements were 1 1/2" larger for the next size, so I figured it'd be easier to have it taken in and tailored to me than to risk the size I tried not fitting.

And yes, as csweaney said, the sizes are nothing like street sizes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards