Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Ivory gown = what groomsmen's suit shirts?

I have a ivory gown- jcrew.  My FI and groomsmen have all purchased 3 piece suits.  I figured everyone could just wear a white shirt that they had.  Will this clash too much?  Mens' wearhouse gave us a free ivory shirt - because we ordered 9 suits!  It was nice of them but now do we have to make everyone else buy ivory shirts too?

Re: Ivory gown = what groomsmen's suit shirts?

• Options
    personally, I dont think it'll clash. Ive got an Ivory dress and at first FI was going to wear Ivory and GM would wear white, but FI is actually going to wear a shirt color that mimics the BMs dresses. . GM will still wear white though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    You'll never notice.  My gown was ivory and DH shirt was white and you couldn't tell the difference.

Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It's almost impossible to tell the difference between white and ivory unless the two are right next to each other.  I think it would be fine to let FI wear the ivory shirt and have the rest of them wear white, or everyone wear white and just donate/sell the ivory shirt.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I think that the ivory men's shirts always end up looking dingy.  The problem is that they're usually darker or yellower than the "ivory" of dresses. So, since J. Crew's ivory is pretty light, I'd use white. 
  • Options
    I wore an ivory/champagne dress and DH wore a white shirt.  It never even occurred to me that they might clash ;)  Take a look at the Bride and Groom tab of my bio to see pics of us close together...
  • Options
    Ivory mens shirts look pretty yellow. We went back and switched my husbands tux shirt to white, but kept the ivory vest.  It was a great contrast and didn't look bad with my ivory dress.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think your FI should get whatever he feels looks best on him.

FI saw an ivory dress shirt in the store a while back and hated it, so I'm betting that he will choose a white shirt. I can't imagine that anyone would be staring at us so closely that they'd notice a subtle color difference like that.

Plus, when a guy has a vest, tie and jacket on, all you can really see are the cuffs and collar anyway. And he'll probably have the jacket on for most of the pics where he's directly next to you anyway (ceremony, formal pics, first dance), so if there's a pic of him chatting with his buddies and he's in a white shirt with no jacket - while you're not even in the pic in your ivory gown - then who cares?
  • Options
    My gown was ivory and DH was wearing a black tux with ivory vest and tie. He tried both ivory and white dress shirts and both of us preferred ivory. It's really going to depend up on the specific shirt due to fabric content and dye lot from that manufacturer. DH's ivory shirt in no way looked dingy or yellow in photos.

"If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • Options
    My dress was champagne, but my DH wore a white shirt (with ivory vest and tie).  It looked great.
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards