Attire & Accessories Forum

Winter wedding trouble

My have been dreaming of a winter wedding and now that we have set the date I am beginning to see why spring and summer are the most popular months for wedded bliss....

my biggest problem right now is finding dresses for my 3 bridesmaids anf 2 jr bridesmaids.
We are having the wedding in my home town in north eastern ohio and its going to be freezing! All I can find are spagetti strap dresses and short sleeved things. Is that the normal year round apparel? I know they can wear shawls and tights, but the church can be a little drafty and i would like for them to be comfey and still have the photos look nice. their comfort will come first, but am i missing something?

Re: Winter wedding trouble

• Bolero jackets seem to be really popular.  Most of the designers have jackets that will complement the dress, in short sleeve as well as long sleeve, and even some bolero jackets made out of faux fur, or lace... depending on your taste.  

If I was doing a winter wedding, I'd have the BM's in red dresses with white faux fur boleros.  I'd be in a champagne color dress with a lace overlay.  However, I chose summer instead.  Makes more sense on my work schedule (I'm a teacher).  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • what about winter dresses made with wool? they have them at banana republic or j.crew or anywhere really. since its a winter wedding, a tweed or houndstooth could look really cool! i dont know how formal or casual your wedding is, but have you thought about letting the girls wear boots? just a thought!
  • edited October 2010
    I'm a 12-11-10 bride and I treated it like going out on the town to see the ballet  or a fancy dinner in the winter, which all us Midwest gals do.  Yes, I did do floor-length dresses, but they are one-shoulder strapped.  I'm going to get them pashminas to keep the chill off, and most of our photos will be taken in an indoor location.  But there will be some outdoor. 

Here's my thing, we are from the Midwest, we know what cold is--we know what hot is.  Don't squash your dream wedding because of the cold. I wouldn't plan an outdoor ceremony though! LOL! :)

EDIT:  You can also rent more heaters for the church.  And pictures of little girls in their winter coats are adorable! :)  You'll be fine.

142 Ready To Celebrate! image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You don't have to look at only the dresses that are branded as bridesmaid dresses. Think outside the box. As the holidays approach, stores will be carrying winter party dresses. You can pick a store and have all of your girls get dresses there. Or pick a color and have everyone get a dress of their choice in that color. Bridesmaid's dresses don't have to be identical. Barring that, make sure that they are wearing coats outside and give them wraps for indoors. When I go to a party in the winter, I usually wear a sleeveless short dress and bundle well.
  • Some sort of pullover, shrug or cardigan might look really nice too.  I like the contrast of wool and a dress.  Plus, they can actually wear it again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you all so much! This has been very helpful. I appriciate it Smile
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_winter-wedding-trouble?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:d5814536-1738-420f-8aee-3c7c4bcb5318Post:deeabcf9-3ee4-441a-80e7-e482f8405345">Re: Winter wedding trouble</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a 12-11-10 bride and I treated it like going out on the town to see the ballet  or a fancy dinner in the winter, which all us Midwest gals do.  Yes,<strong> I did do floor-length dresses, but they are one-shoulder strapped.  I'm going to get them pashminas to keep the chill off, and most of our photos will be taken in an indoor location.</strong>  But there will be some outdoor.  Here's my thing, we are from the Midwest, we know what cold is--we know what hot is.  <strong>Don't squash your dream wedding because of the cold.</strong> I wouldn't plan an outdoor ceremony though! LOL! :) EDIT:  You can also rent more heaters for the church.  And pictures of little girls in their winter coats are adorable! :)  You'll be fine.
    Posted by portialoveschris[/QUOTE]

this this this!!! I'm a 1.22.11 bride and we are doing floor length black dresses...none are strapless except MOH, and I got them pashminas (can be used as scarves after) for any outdoor photos we do. I will have a faux fur wrap. Winter weddings can be GORGEOUS!! (but I'm not biased or anything....;) )
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards