Attire & Accessories Forum

When to have alterations done?

My wedding is in a little more than six weeks.  My wedding planner book says I should have the alterations done now, but my tailor said she only needs a week, at most (it's a formal tailoring shop that primarily does bridal and formalwear).

My dress needs beading done on the straps, and to be shortened.  It's a big princess dress.  It doesn't need any alterations in the bodice. 

My tailor told me to come in about Dec. 1.  Is that pushing it too close?  Thoughts?  Thanks so much.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: When to have alterations done?

• Have you brought the dress in to the tailor or just spoke with him/her.  If they've seen the dress, seen you in it, and told you that they only need a week, I would go with their schedule.  If not, I'd bring it in now and at least have a consultation.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I am an OCD Planner. If I didn't have a consultation by 6 weeks out I would be in panic mode.
  • I would bring in the dress within the next week or twoto get your alerations done, and then if necessary,go for a final again on the Dec 1st mark. It's better to have them done and out of the way than praying that your dress will be done on time!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Ditto PP. With what you're describing, I'd rather have them done and out of the way than to risk an issue. Especially with the holidays. My wedding is in early Jan, so realistically, I don't need to take my dress in until mid december, but between bridal portraits and holiday vacations, I'd rather have it done and out of the way than to be worrying about it getting done before the wedding.
  • Thanks gals - yes, I suppose it is much better to have it done than to worry about it.  I'll take it in asap.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i would say do it now since it does not need alteration on the bodice, the earlier the better
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards