Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Dress Alterations

Ive had my dress for awhile. How long before the wedding should I take it in for an initial fitting?

Re: Dress Alterations

• Options
    Usually 6-10 weeks before your wedding date.  Call the seamstress you plan on using though, and ask him/her.  Some are VERY busy and get filled up quickly.  My seamstress is doing my first fitting 6 weeks prior to the wedding, but I had to schedule it about 3.5 months in advance.
  • Options
    6-10 weeks is perfect!  You dont want to alter it too soon and then gain or loose weight! 
    I have another question.  My dress just came in, it fits perfectly; the consultant said she'd never seen a dress fit so well with no alterations.  THEN  she gave me my alterations quote of $750!!!!  That is about half the cost of my dress and all that needs to be done is taken in an inch at waiste and bussel.  This is outrageous and I am definitely going somewhere else for alterations.  Do you girls mind sharing how much your alterations cost so that I have an idea?  It is lace, so that's more expensive, but not $750...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-alterations-19?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:db1b65a9-2959-45b8-b396-2123be43178bPost:f1289659-9acb-4595-8938-34ec85ee6081">Re: Dress Alterations</a>:
    [QUOTE]6-10 weeks is perfect!  You dont want to alter it too soon and then gain or loose weight!  I have another question.  My dress just came in, it fits perfectly; the consultant said she'd never seen a dress fit so well with no alterations.  THEN  she gave me my alterations quote of $750!!!!  That is about half the cost of my dress and all that needs to be done is taken in an inch at waiste and bussel.  This is outrageous and I am definitely going somewhere else for alterations.  Do you girls mind sharing how much your alterations cost so that I have an idea?  It is lace, so that's more expensive, but not $750...
    Posted by jdailey1[/QUOTE]

I think $750.00 sounds very high, even for lace.  The only way that sounds reasonable to me is if she were letting it OUT or taking up a complicated hem.  I would seriously consider trying another seamstress.
  • Options
    Wow. That's more that what my dress costs. I think it is way too much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PitaPata Dog tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards