Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

My groom wants to wear a purple tux.

And I really really really don't want him to. We're arguing about it, and it feels silly to argue but I just think it will make me cringe every time I look at our pictures. Our colors are green and purple, which are our favorite colors (green is mine purple is his). I'm NOT wearing a green wedding dress, it is white. 

Honestly, I don't know if he's serious about this. At first I was sure he wasn't, but he usually doesn't go on about it if it's a joke. But anyway, I'm not looking for whether or not I should 'let' him. He's a big boy, he'll do whatever he damn well pleases... this is more of an open discussion.

(He wants his GM to wear black suits or tuxes with purple vests, if you were wondering.)

Would any of you brides be ok with your groom picking a wacky color for his tux/suit?

And while we're on tux colors, what would be the traditional color for a wedding in mid/late afternoon, in the summer, outside? 

Re: My groom wants to wear a purple tux.

• Options
    I think a purple tux will look more like a costume, than wedding attire. I know the tuxedo in the afternoon is the "rule", but I don't necessarily agree with it. People wear tuxes to formal events all the time and they look fabulous. But that is the old school rule. Personally, my partner would never be caught dead in an ascot. Styles have changed for sure. A nice black tux or just a black or charcoal suit would look great. But a purple tux will look pretty ridiculous, in my opinion.
  • Options
    The argument of the day for the purple tux is this "I didn't tell you what dress to wear, so why should you tell me what color suit to wear?" He's lucky I love him. haha

I completely agree it would look like a costume! He'd look like barny or something! The dinosaur barny I mean. If he looked like the HIMYM barny I'd be all for that!

My thoughts for his man posse was for them to wear dark suits, probably black, and purple ties. Possibly bow ties for the GM and a regular tie for him. Sorry, I don't know all the terms! 
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    My God those are horrendous. O_O

EDIT: I must say I love the commentary on the pics. 
  • Options
    The last several weddings I've been to had the groom and groomsmen in tuxedos in the morning or afternoon, including my own. I don't think that's an absolute rule. However, I think he'd regret the purple suit. If he has to have something purple, maybe a light-colored suit (like gray or tan) with a dark purple shirt/tie would be classy. I've also seen pictures of guys in weddings with suits but casual colored shoes like Chucks. Personally, I'm not a fan, but it could be a good compromise.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Purple makes me think PROM.
  • Options
    Where does one even FIND a purple tux????

I agree that a dark suit with purple shirt or tie would be best.   However, morning suits are VERY common at weddings here in the UK, and I have to say that it looks AMAZING.  I really wish this would take off in the states, because CMGr is right -- tuxes shouldn't be worn in the daytime.  Now, for ceremony at 5 or 5:30 that leads straight into an evening reception I think it would be fine.   

DSC_9275
  • Options
    I feel your pain. If I felt I could, I would post my FI's prom photos as proof of his poor taste in formal wear. I would just tell him that you don't want to dictate his clothing but that this really matters to you, and he needs to decide his priorities. You're not picking a dress you know he hates, are you? He might not get a say, but I'm sure he's on your mind.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Yes, your FI had no say in your dress, but if you wanted to wear a gorilla suit instead of a dress, he'd be within his rights to insist that you don't wear it.  A purple tux is not a style statement.  A purple tux will make him look ridiculous. You're not unreasonable for insisting that he not wear one. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_my-groom-wants-to-wear-a-purple-tux?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:e83229ee-4084-4ebc-9d3f-20c9559ff667Post:39ff247a-0b69-415c-acd6-518800424962">Re: My groom wants to wear a purple tux.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Show him this:  <a href="http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplemental/Hall_of_Shame.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplemental/Hall_of_Shame.htm</a>
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

<div>FYI, I showed my FI this, and now he has a whole slew of new ideas for what to wear to our wedding. I told him if he wears any of them we'll be having a very fancy party instead of a wedding ;) </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Kinda sorta off topic but since it was mentioned about no tuxes in afternoon... What about the wedding ceremonies that take place in afternoon but reception in evening? Still no tux? Just curious, mine is both in evening in same venue, so they are wearing (black) tuxes. On topic, I think he can wear whatever is in reason. A purple tux is NOT within reason. I mean, is he usually a jokey kinda guy? I mean it all seems pretty ridiculous. Can't he just wear a different shade of purple best and tie( with black tux) . That way he is different without looking weird?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    We had morning suits in my wedding, which was held at 4pm, and they looked SO SO good!  In fact, I liked them more than tuxes.

And I agree, a purple suit is horrific, terrible, and childish.  The groom can wear purple without turning the event into a joke.  If he refuses to dress appropriately, it makes one wonder how seriously he actually takes adulthood, and the seriousness of his vows.  He should respect what he's doing more than that.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    Yeah, he's usally a joking kind of guy, which is part of the reason I love him :) 

He claims that his thing about the purple tux is that he just wants me to tell him that whatever he wants to wear is ok.... Just can't do that. So I guess we shall continue to argue. lol! 

I don't think you could find a purple suit ANYWHERE but a costume shop, so maybe if I tell him it's ok he'll give up once he realizes he can't find it anyway! But, I'm sure it'll blow over so... not a deal breaker :)
  • Options
    Yeah, maybe my funnybone is broken, but I don't appreciate someone who is supposed to be supporting me loading unecessary stress onto me because they think it's funny.

Brides are under so much pressure and stress, it's not a good sign that the FI decides it's hilarious to add onto the load, instead of helping to lessen it.  That's cruelty, not humor.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards