Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

The Veil?

Hi all, 

Just a quick question.  Today I went to try on dresses and the sales person told me that traditionally, brides are supposed to keep their veil on during the reception.  However, everyone else that I have known has taken it off after the ceremony.  Is this just something regarding preference, or is there another meaning?

Re: The Veil?

• Options
    ...I'm not sure what she told you you're supposed to keep it on. Everyone I've known has taken it off and put in a clip or something. I think its just for practicality--you don't want something hanging around getting in your food and such.

Really darlin its up to you and what you want. If you WANT to keep it on, go for it. If not, your choice. Either way its your vision for what you want. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ...I'm not sure what she told you you're supposed to keep it on. Everyone I've known has taken it off and put in a clip or something. I think its just for practicality--you don't want something hanging around getting in your food and such.

Really darlin its up to you and what you want. If you WANT to keep it on, go for it. If not, your choice. Either way its your vision for what you want. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. I've actually seen it done both ways. Mine was a long, chapel length so there was NO way I'd have been able to keep it one. It's really your preference.
  • Options
    I wore mine all night but it was because I wanted to. Not because of tradition.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I can't imagine wearing a veil during my reception, but I danced a LOT at my reception.

I wouldn't side-eye anyone that did it either way.
  • Options
    I havent heard of a specific tradition about keeping the veil on. I personally thought most brides take them off after the reception.
  • Options
    You actually *have* to take the veil off in my family tradition, for the "ripping of the veil" (apparently it's an italian tradition, but all my german family has done it, so we're incorporating it) Durring the reception, you take off your veil and it's good luck for all the guests to rip it apart (of course, we're just getting a piece of tulle rather than my *actual* veil, but it would still be weird to me if we "ripped the veil" and I was wearing it for the rest of the night!)
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards