Attire & Accessories Forum

are you wearing a veil?

i always thought i would want to wear a veil. but whenever i've gone wedding dress shopping and the saleslady puts one on me i want to take it off right away. i just feel like i'm playing dressup or something and it doesn't feel right. maybe if i find the right one i'll feel different. so i'll keep looking. though in the meantime i've been looking at alternatives i can wear like a flower or some gliterry hair accessorie. but i'm just curious, are you wearing a veil?

Re: are you wearing a veil?

• I never thought I'd want one but my mom and girls all insisted I try one with the dress and I just realized it was the one thing that really made me feel like the bride... i'm only wearing it for the ceremony and then putting my hair up for the reception with a flower or clip or something.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Do worry about not wanting a veil. I felt the same way I put on several veils and I feel like it too much. I think with just my hair and the right accessories I will be fine without a veil.It's your day do what you want and nothing is traditional now. Maybe a crown if you want, a blusher veil or maybe just some little sparkle or pearls in your hair or even a flower you might like.

snookums4clo
    Porscha
  • If you don't want one, don't wear one. Like pp said, you could try a blusher or a birdcage veil. If that still doesn't work, you could go with a flower in your hair or just a nice comb or pretty barrettes/pins.
  • adl734adl734 member
    First Comment
    You don't have to wear a veil, but you should look into a few different styles before deciding against it.  I'm wearing a birdcage veil rather than a traditional long one.  And since I am wearing my hair up, it will also look best.  Think about how you plan to wear your hair.  Generally a short veil looks best with your hair up and a long veil is best with hair down.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had no desire to wear a veil.  I wore an awesome hat.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    Have you tried several styles?  I'm not a big veil fan but I always loved my mom's and the dress I picked looks like it was made for it.

It's a satin headband with criss cross strands of pearls.  The tulle attaches at the bottom of each side and is cathederal length.  I'm only wearing the tulle part for the ceremony and then just the headband for the reception.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • I wasn't planning on wearing a veil because I thought it would annoy me. But when I went dress shopping & found my dress my mom put one on me & I started crying. Needless to say I'm wearing one now & I love that I decided too. I also plan on wearing the the blusher over my face during the ceremony
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I never really liked veils, but thought I'd give it a shot.  But when I found my dress, everytime they put a veil on me I had the same reaction...I wanted to rip it off.  I tried every possible style and I felt like it ruined the looked of the dress, and I felt like I was wearing a costume...no veil for me.

Unplainjane...you have a PM!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_wearing-veil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:eb965d39-aeb3-4b83-9ad6-5d042a8658a7Post:03f1f669-502a-43e0-b63c-6f477b70fa60">Re: are you wearing a veil?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I never thought I'd want one but my mom and girls all insisted I try one with the dress and I just realized it was the one thing that really made me feel like the bride...</strong> i'm only wearing it for the ceremony and then putting my hair up for the reception with a flower or clip or something.
    Posted by Jbryant8130[/QUOTE]

<div>This x 100. I was the same way. I don't like the traditional meaning behind them, so I always thought I never wanted one. </div><div>When I tried one on, I loved it. It was that final thing to make me really feel like a bride.</div><div>
    </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didn't think I would, but I tried on a fairly traditional fingertip veil with blusher and loved it.
  • I like veils, but I don't like how they look on my head. So I custom made one for my dress. So I guess I am wearing a veil. :)
  • I'm wearing a veil but only for the ceremony. if you dont find one you like then just go without, no big deal.
  • Veil.  There are very few occasions when one can were one. :)  I think they're fun and very pretty.  I'm Catholic so that might make me a little partial to veils.
  • Nope, I completely agree with you - I mean, you are already wearing something completely out of the ordinary (i.e. big white dress), why the veil?  It may be what some people like, but it's definitely not me.  I definitely like the more contemporary look of a nice do and maybe a flower or hairpin to jazz it up. 
  • You really don't have to do a veil. I wanted to be more of a classic bride so I got the veil and wore it as a blusher and everything. I thought I would take it off after the ceremony but it didn't bother me so I left it in all night. While you are in attire that is out of the ordinary, what about pictures that are neck up? For me, no matter what picture i look at I know it's my wedding bc you can see it.
  • It's totally a personal preference. If you aren't feeling it, don't force it!! Personally, I'm one of the girls who's always dreamed of the whole "look," but even I'm only wearing it for the ceremony and wearing some bling up top for the reception!!! Do what you want!
  • Every thing for your important big day in the life should be all your dicisions. A wedding veil is not necessary traditional to wear.  As for me, I love to put back my hair and circle it poney tail withour any decoration.
    My favorite wedding store http://www.trustedeal.com
  • I'm definitely wearing a veil.  Two actually.  My mom made me a cathedral-length veil for the ceremony and we found a finger-tip veil that looks as if it was made to go with my dress on sale for $40 that I'll wear for the reception.  I didn't feel like a bride until I had a veil on when trying dresses on. 
    Anniversary
  • PegletPeglet member
    First Comment
    I am wearing my mom's veil! I had always wanted to do this. The lace on it didn't go with my dress but when the seamstress saw I was determined to wear it anyway she took it and offered to completely remake it - cut off the lace, add some crystals, etc. I'm so excited! I will take it off for the reception though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No, although I'm pretty traditional, so I surprised myself. I haven't even tried any on, but I don't think it's for me. I think I will just have a single red rose in my hair. Who knows, I could change my mind as the day draws nearer.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • I didnt want to but my mom wanted me to wear one.  I decided on a cathedral length veil in the end which made her beyond excited. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am the same way. I was totally against the idea of a veil until a colleague of mine suggested I check out this new accessory line she heard about: http://www.poshveils.com.
    Soon after, I realized that there are so many alternatives to the traditional veil and tiara.
    I am seriously considering the idea of something fun and stylish.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards