Attire & Accessories Forum

Bridesmaid Dress Help!

I would love some opinions, I am getting married in July and have yet to find my girls the perfect dress yet. I have all diffrent shapes and sizes from 2-16 in my wedding party. I was thinking of lettting them pick their own dress, and not having them all match, as long as they are in my color. Thoughts? Pros  VS Cons?? Thanks.

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Help!

• achiduckachiduck member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2012
    A lot of brides do this now-a-days. You should give your BMs some guidelines. For example, if your colour is purple then tell them to buy a purple dress around need length (and in a certain fabric if you want).

The only real con is that they won't be 100% matching, which if you're ok with that is not a big deal.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaid-dress-41?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:ef86cff5-bdf5-41f6-be79-19f0a2125bdePost:87dd18fb-3d57-43c2-bf7d-151ebf1c20e0">Re: Bridesmaid Dress Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE] I'd specify a color/length/designer if possible.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

Even a fabric specification would help bring the look together (i.e. chiffon vs. satin), unless you really don't care about that.
    Anniversary
  • I would specify a fabric as well. I think bridal party's look mismatched in different fabrics. The colors often don't come out exactly the same with each fabric.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I wanted my BMs to look somewhat uniform while still wearing dresses that they like and compliment their body shape, so I specified the color, length, fabric, and designer.  I wouldn't care about the fabric or designer, but I wanted the dresses to all be the same shade (they're black, but unfortunately there are several different shades of black).  

I also reserve veto power in case I hate the dresses that they want to choose.  Since all my BMs are in the area I'll probably go to the salon with them to make sure I like the dresses.  Otherwise I'll ask them to send me a pic of the dress (online link of the dress on a model is fine) so I can make sure I like it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You have to think about how you feel. How much control do you want to have? Do you care if what they love is not what you love? Personally I wanted my bridesmaids dresses to look individual -- they are completely different ages (11, 21 and 46) and completely different people. My vision was they'd all wear a non-long dress in varying shades of purple -- but they were completely thrown by that prospect and wanted me to pick dresses. So I went shopping with 2 of them individually-- both liked the same brand and fabric (Bill Levkoff, chiffon), and both really wanted to wear long, so they both picked dresses they liked in the plum shade. It's not exactly how I saw it, but if they want to look alike, (in long dresses that they probably wont have another opportunity to wear) I'm fine with that. They are so excited with their dresses, so I'm happy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards