Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Wedding dress/Body Shape Advice Needed!

Hi guys --

I need some advice on wedding dress styles. I am an awkward cross between a pear and an hourglass. I have broad shoulders (41 inches) and a high, small waist (28 inches) that slopes nicely into large hips (39 inches), but small breasts (B cup/36 inches). I'm on the tall side of average, height wise(5'6"). I hope to lose inches in all those respects before the wedding, but you get an idea about the general shape. I don't like that advice for pear shapes is to hide your butt/hips because my hips have always looked nice (I wear a lot of pencil skirts). On the other hand, advice for hour glass figure involves a lot of showing-off-of-the breasts, which I don't have. Anyone have any good advice on dress styles? I'll obviously be trying on a lot of things, but it would be nice to know where to start.

Re: Wedding dress/Body Shape Advice Needed!

• Options
    I think a mermaid or fit and flare would work for you since it'll show off your curves. As for the breast issue, I think the best would be to get a sweetheart neckline that has some embellishment on the neckline so it'll make the breast look fuller. Google the galina swg341 dress, it has flower detailing on the neckline and is perfect for brides with small breasts. That's what I'm wearing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're plus sizedLess is more. If you're going to wear a dress with beads or crystals, keep them subdued and choose the flat rather than rounded ones. Also stay away from dresses that are too fitted or clingy. If you're petiteA petite woman should not let her dress overwhelm her. You want people, notice you, not the dress. If you're smaller than 5'4", stay away from big puffy dresses. Instead, opt for something slim, simple, and form fitting, which will make you look taller. If you're tallOn a tall woman, the most common dress styles can appear too high waisted. To avoid this problem, choose an already high-cut princess or empire waist. If you have a large bustGo for a simple top that gives you more coverage and is not accentuated with beads, sequins, or lace. You have a small bustAdd weight to your top with sequins or beads. A square neckline or spaghetti straps will be flattering. If your arms are on the bigger sideYou don't want a strapless dress or a dress with capped sleeves. Long or three-quarter sleeves will flatter you best.  Suggestion from TopBridalDresses 
  • Options
    I agree, maybe try a drop waist?  It would show off your hips without coming in too tight at your knees, which might draw more attention to your hips than you'd like.

I think covering your shoulders would make them look bigger - so I'd look for strapless or a very thin halter.  One of my BMs has very broad shoulders, and her BMs dress has a sweetheart neckline to soften things up and then a very thin halter strap (think string, not strap).

Good luck!
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    .... i'm an athletic build so i totally get the broad shoulders thing!  Definitely go for a sweetheart neck, it makes a HUGE difference.  Also I disagree with PP. thin straps actually can make shoulders look bigger. wider straps would help. I do like the halter suggestion though. Some of the V neck dresses might look nice too.

As far as overall shape, a fit n flare, or a smaller A line would look pretty.  It would draw attention to your waist and glide over the curves very well without hugging them too tightly or hiding them altogether.

perhaps something like these?
    http://www.morilee.com/bridals/blu/4906
    http://www.morilee.com/bridals/bridal/1805
    http://www.morilee.com/bridals/bridal/1662
  • Options
    As a bridal stylist, I'd say go for a sweetheart/strapless top with an asymmetrical, dropped waist skirt. Sweetheart tops are a great way to fake a bustline (and talk to alterations about adding 1 (or even 2) sets of cups to the gown. The Asymmetrical drop waist will show your teenie waist, and play up your shape by adding fullness at the bottom. Something like James Clifford 11177 or Bliss 1213.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Definately sweetheart/strapless! It is amazing what a sweetheart neckline can do to minimize broad shoulders :) 
  • Options
    Hi there - here's a blog post about how to choose a dress for your body shape.  Hope that helps give you some tips.   http://www.smartbrideboutique.com/blog/tips-from-the-experts-how-to-choose-a-dress-for-your-body-shape/20100128/185/ 

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards