Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Ordering a ring off the internet?

Hi guys,
I was just wondering if any of you had experience with ordering jewelery offline.  I really have my heart set on a black diamond wedding band, straight across, no curve in it. (my E-ring is regular white diamonds).  I can't find find a straight one anywhere.  Zales.com has some, but I am hesitant to buy it since I can't see it right next to my E-ring to make sure they look okay together. 

Have any of you used the internet to get your rings?  Do you know of any sites that have a great return policy in case I hate it once it's next to my E-ring? 

thanks!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Ordering a ring off the internet?

• Options
    If it's Zales.com, I might just go to a Zales store and see if they at least have something similar you can try on. The good thing about that is that you'd have access to both the in person service and the online service. I'd think that since they're a national chain they'll have their policies pretty spelled out.

My FI got my e-ring online from a vintage and custom dealer out of New York, http://ericaweiner.com/  It was fantastic and surprisingly quick. I can highly recommend them. 
  • Options
    I bought the wedding band to go with my E-ring off a vintage and vintage-style jewelry shop online (Topazery.com), and it looks great!  They had lots of good close up photos of the ring online, and the ring matched my E-ring perfectly, except that the white gold is slightly brighter on my wedding ring than e-ring.  I think that's just because my E-ring is a little old and may need to be cleaned better or redipped.

Of course, I do have to get my ring sized, but I have a local jeweler who I like who can do it. 

I think you just need to make sure to use a good company (zales is obviously trustworthy) with a good return policy in case it doesn't look right.

SaveSave
  • Options
    ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_ordering-a-ring-off-the-internet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:f59bec7e-d8e0-4063-ad85-835ea3cf4164Post:5d405f51-8387-4cf0-882f-8eeb7168cba4">Ordering a ring off the internet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi guys, I was just wondering if any of you had experience with ordering jewelery offline.  I really have my heart set on a black diamond wedding band, straight across, no curve in it. (my E-ring is regular white diamonds).  I can't find find a straight one anywhere.  Zales.com has some, but I am hesitant to buy it since I can't see it right next to my E-ring to make sure they look okay together.  Have any of you used the internet to get your rings?  Do you know of any sites that have a great return policy in case I hate it once it's next to my E-ring?  thanks!
    Posted by aro1589[/QUOTE]

I picked my e-ring out sight unseen from <a href="http://www.BrilliantEarth.com!" rel="nofollow">www.BrilliantEarth.com!</a>

I talked with a sales rep, getting lots of invididual photos emailed to me, etc. prior to the purchase to make sure it was the one I wanted.  I love it!
  • Options
    lalanslalans member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    My FI bought my E ring from Blue Nile and we will get my wedding band from there as well.  He said it was super easy, they mailed it in an unmarked box, ect.  I know Blue Nile has a 30 day return policy.  I think most online places will have something similar, just make sure you know what it is.  Also once you get the ring check it for flaws, maybe by taking it into a jewelers.  i know mine has a carbon spot, but they placed it under a prong so it doesn't bother me.  Just something to keep in mind though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    lalanslalans member
    Also, a friend got her e-ring at zales...the nice part about the physical places, at least for erings is that they will check the diamond for free and repair it for free if you get it check every few months or something like that.  I was around one time when she had it checked and the said the diamond was a tad wobbly so they sent it to be tightened up.   That kindof security would be great!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My wedding ring came from the antique jewlery mall.  I was terrified that it was fake gold.  I took it to a reputable jeweler here in Philly to be resized and was even more scared that they were going to call me and say "We can't resize this - who told you it was gold?"  Ha.  In the end, my ring is perfectly legit.

I know that Blue Nile is wonderful and high quality - don't be afraid to order from there.  I'd also go into a Zales and see if they have the ring you want, but I wouldn't be concerned ordering from such a well known place like that online either.
  • Options
    We might order our bands off Amazon.  We were going to order my e-ring from there too but I found one I love locally that was similar price (without shipping) so it worked out.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    pengy16pengy16 member
    First Comment
    we got FI ring off buy.com
    he really wanted something different. He liked the cable rings and the carbon fiber rings. The stores sell the carbon fiber with black inlay but thats the only option. Searching online we found this ring: 
    Its a black and red inlay. Other places sell the ring (overstock, sears, amazon) but buy.com had it for the cheapest price with no shipping costs. 
    FI loves the ring, I actually had to put it away so he wouldnt keep pulling it out and wearing it. lol
    I looked around online for something I liked as well but I wanted to see it with my e-ring so I looked at local stores, and found a really good deal at the local store for my ring, better then the online prices for the ring. Also it is nice to have the plan to get it checked out and resized which I have used several times with my e-ring. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_ordering-a-ring-off-the-internet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:f59bec7e-d8e0-4063-ad85-835ea3cf4164Post:fa622bf1-3353-4e9c-96fa-67c5a7c410f1">Re: Ordering a ring off the internet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Ordering a ring off the internet? : I picked my e-ring out sight unseen from <a href="http://www.BrilliantEarth.com!" rel="nofollow">www.BrilliantEarth.com!</a> I talked with a sales rep, getting lots of invididual photos emailed to me, etc. prior to the purchase to make sure it was the one I wanted.  I love it!
    Posted by ginadog[/QUOTE]
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000"> </font><p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:#1f1f1f;font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';font-size:8.5pt;">Both my rings are coming from Brilliant Earth (being made as I type). Luckily I live just an hour away from San Francisco so I was able to show my boyfriend picture then we both went and saw it in person. Even more beautiful in real life, but I was happy I could see it on my hand first.</span></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000"> </font>
  • Options
    aro1589aro1589 member
    they don' have a straight black diamond band in stores, just on the website (which is frustrating).  I'll have to check their return policy I guess. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    FI bought my e ring at a physical store, but we got the band from blue nile. I actually had to return two rings to them but the third time was a charm. Their return policy is fine, but I did have to pay for return shipping. 

We got a bloomspot deal for Blue Nile... We haven't ordered his band yet, but we will be getting it from there. 
  • Options
    I know that BlueNile and Whiteflash are very reputable online and both have good return policies.  I would check those out.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Options
    My FI got my ring off bidz.com. I believe we got lucky, they are BBB business. The gem report that comes with the ring values them a little high. But still, we got a great deal on a beautiful ring that otherwise we would never be able to afford. The only flaw is that one of the diamonds sit a teensy bit crooked in the setting. It's hardly noticeable unless you're looking for it and the jeweller's that did the appraisal said that it's still secure enough to not fall out.

Fi's ring came from jvljewelry.com. Overall, we've been very happy with our purchases from the internet.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Options
    on456on456 member
    First Comment
    My ring comes from  http://www.bluenile.ca/
    Their rings are much cheaper than from jewellery stores and you can choose the setting and the diamonds separately.  They also have amazing customer service.
  • Options
    We ordered my fiance's ring online from e-weddingbands.com. They were great to work with! And they have a great return policy. My fiance loves his ring (we got him an 8mm, comfort fit, silver tungsten band with a bevelled edge).
  • Options
    I actually bought my fi the same ring as the one posted above, we got it from amazon, he LOVES IT, it fit perfect and they would have taken it back in a heart beat. I also got mine from amazon and it worked perfectly with my e-ring, they look beautiful together and i could have returned it if i had problems. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards