Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

How far can a dress be altered?

How much should I trust the alterations?

My hip measurement puts me in a size 12 gown. My bust in a 4. The sample is a 10, and the hips fit fine in the dress, but the consultant says it's because it's been stretched out by all the girls trying it. But I can't quite wrap my head around buying a 12 and needing to alter the bust 5.5 inches smaller. Seems like a LOT for a gown that has a sweetheart shape...

Thoughts?

Dress:
http://www.hispabodas.com/img/fotos/wm/774-modelo-nadia-coleccion-vestidos-de-novia-aire-barcelona-_wm.jpg

Re: How far can a dress be altered?

• Options
    With a dress fitted through the hip like that, you HAVE to go with the hip measurement. The alterations shouldn't be too terrible since there's not beading, they'll just need to bring it in at the sides and back.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks.  I was just worried the sweetheart curvature would be like, out to my shoulders, if I went with the 12.  Tongue out
  • Options
    Always go with the biggest measurement.  And keep in mind that the 10 you tried on in the store has been tried on by a ton of other girls, some of whom may have been a smidge too big for it.  It may not have still been an actual 10 when you tried it on.
    murrayed
  • Options
    my dress came in HUGE and I brought it in and they will have no problem altering it. :)
    We just stopped preventing January 2013! I use a tablet so please forgive my auto correct! :)
  • Options
    What a beautiful dress!  Ordering the 12 will be your best bet especially being fitted through the hips like that.
  • Options
    One salon I went to said they've seen the seamstresses take a size 20 to a 12 before.and with no beading or lace on the dress, there shouldn't be any problem molding that dress to fit your body. It'll be beautiful!
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone.  The 12 is ordered.  Here's to hoping!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards