December 2012 Weddings

A little worried about my date..

My FH and I are getting married on 12/12/12, for some obvious reasons and some not-so-obvious ones.
Obvious: Look at that date. It's pretty darn cool.

Not-so-Ob: It's the 5-year anniversary of a car accident that I was involved in. The collision was catastrophic- I was in the hospital for months and my boyfriend (at the time, who was a close friend of my FH's) was killed along with the other driver who hit us. I was in a coma for 19 days and in and out of the hospital for almost 7 months.

Most people don't understand why my FH and I have picked this date, but it's because we'd like to acknowlege two things. One being a dear friend who passed away, and two being the accident that brought my FH and I together when he stood by my side during my recovery. I like my date. I don't want to change it.

That all being said, I'm a little worried my reception might get gloomy because of the signifigance of the day.

what can I do to keep the mood of my reception light? It is a celebration, after all.
And what kind of homage, if any, would you incorperate to remember our friend?
I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride; so I love you because I know no other way than this..

Oh look, it's a blog! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: A little worried about my date..

• I don't like putting big memorials in weddings... but you could light a candle for him or something. That way you and your FI and people who are very close will know what it is for, but won't be a total downer for the people that don't really understand. That's what I would do, at least.

As for changing the date, I think it depends on how you normally feel on that anniversary. Is it sadness or is it happiness that you've survived? It sounds like it might resonate sadness if you're concerned about keeping the reception light. If that was the case, I would change it.

As for the reception, it's a celebration of your wedding. Many people honestly won't think of the date the same way as you would so I wouldn't worry about your guests not feeling happy or celebratory. But if you aren't feeling celebratory because of the date, there isn't really anything you will be able to do to change that, except by moving the date.

Anniversary
  • If you want to change your date, do it but I think your date is special and important. If you like it, keep it. It doesn't matter what people think. I'd keep any memorials low key. Like a PP said, light a candle or leave an empty chair. So sorry to hear about your accident- glad you're ok.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards