Snarky Brides

Two Unrelated Questions

First, I bought a crock pot the other day and need delicious recipes that I can easily throw in  the pot in the morning. I'm sick of actively cooking.  FI will eat anything, I'm more picky, but open to trying new things.

Second, we've decided to forego gifts for each other this year and just buy a t.v. for our bedroom.  I've been checking cyber Monday deals online, but when would you shop for it?  Since we already know we're getting it, it really doesn't have to be here on Christmas. 

Re: Two Unrelated Questions

• My favorite is just a slow cooker pot roast.
    Cut a roast into 4 pieces, rub with Old Bay seasoning.
    Heat frying pan on med-high heat and sear each side of beef
    Mix 1 tsp beef bouilloun with 1C water, pour into slow cooker
    Quarter garlic cloves (if you like garlic) and lay on bottom of cooker
    Layer in beef, cut potatoes, carrots, onions, and more minced garlic.

You know it's done when the meat just starts to flake off bbq style. It's sooo good.
  • Check out this blog for crock pot recipes:
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Do you like buffalo chicken? I have a good recipe for buffalo chicken sandwiches - kind of like pulled pork.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I like just throwing a pork loin in there with coke or rootbeer and then shredding and adding BBQ sauce.  I'm trying a WW southwestern chicken and potato soup tomorrow and I'll let you know if it's worth making :)

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I LOVE buffalo chicken. Thanks for the blog, Alli.

KW, that does sound good.  I'm not a big meat person, but sometimes I crave meat like nobody's business (probably because I have such low iron).  FI will love that, too.
  • Put a package of chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot. Add 1 bottle of Franks Wing sauce and 1/2 a packet of powdered ranch dressing. Cook on low for about 6-7 hours. Add 2 tbsp butter and cook for 15 minutes. At this point, the chicken will easily shred with a wooden spoon. Serve on rolls. This is pretty spicy, but you can add more wing sauce to the cooked chicken if you want it spicier.
  • Here's a TON of recipes:

As for the other question, I have nothing.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_two-unrelated-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:05cc0794-cf12-4a8c-a314-83b2be18b5ecPost:5101bce1-e814-40ed-be9a-3c5f82df4f11">Re: Two Unrelated Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Put a package of chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot. Add 1 bottle of Franks Wing sauce and 1/2 a packet of powdered ranch dressing. Cook on low for about 6-7 hours. Add 2 tbsp butter and cook for 15 minutes. At this point, the chicken will easily shred with a wooden spoon. Serve on rolls. This is pretty spicy, but you can add more wing sauce to the cooked chicken if you want it spicier.
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]

This made my mouth water.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_two-unrelated-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:05cc0794-cf12-4a8c-a314-83b2be18b5ecPost:5101bce1-e814-40ed-be9a-3c5f82df4f11">Re: Two Unrelated Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Put a package of chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot. Add 1 bottle of Franks Wing sauce and 1/2 a packet of powdered ranch dressing. Cook on low for about 6-7 hours. Add 2 tbsp butter and cook for 15 minutes. At this point, the chicken will easily shred with a wooden spoon. Serve on rolls. This is pretty spicy, but you can add more wing sauce to the cooked chicken if you want it spicier.
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]

I love this recipe. It's one of my favorites. My only problem is that I have to babysit it. I tried to make it while I was at work one day, but it dried up and burned. I've found that I really need to stir it every hour or so and only cook it for 5 - 6 hours on low.

Are you able to leave it all day?

Nates - I just tried my mac and cheese in the crock pot last week and it was awesome. I only cooked it for 3 hours, though so it's not one you can leave and come home to. Unless you only work 3 hours at day. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_two-unrelated-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:05cc0794-cf12-4a8c-a314-83b2be18b5ecPost:ba3e87fc-9b2e-4466-9b62-38051142ce2e">Re: Two Unrelated Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two Unrelated Questions : I love this recipe. It's one of my favorites. My only problem is that I have to babysit it. I tried to make it while I was at work one day, but it dried up and burned. I've found that I really need to stir it every hour or so and only cook it for 5 - 6 hours on low. Are you able to leave it all day? Nates - I just tried my mac and cheese in the crock pot last week and it was awesome. I only cooked it for 3 hours, though so it's not one you can leave and come home to. Unless you only work 3 hours at day. :)
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]
    Damn.  Okay, these will have to be weekend meals.  Although, FI doesn't get home until about 8 every night, so if I rush home from work, the chicken is possible. 

Mac and cheese I can definitely do after work.  I remember you posting it a while back, Cew.  Recipe? :)
  • I just put the roast in whole, fill the pot about half way with chicken broth. Add garlic salt to taste, if you like cut up some oniions and throw those around the sides of the roast. And to top it off I quarter little red potatoes and add those too!
    Yum!

I don't think it matters unless you guys want to wrap it and open it together on christmas. Lol. Or for me, I wouldn't want to wait to put the daamn thing up to start watching it! I would be choping at the bit knowing it's under my tree and not in my room where it should be!
    "Even on my weakest days, I get a little bit stronger."
    http://adkennard.weebly.com/
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_two-unrelated-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:05cc0794-cf12-4a8c-a314-83b2be18b5ecPost:841f6da9-d54e-4d03-be06-159d5179a74b">Re: Two Unrelated Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two Unrelated Questions : Damn.  Okay, these will have to be weekend meals.  Although, FI doesn't get home until about 8 every night, so if I rush home from work, the chicken is possible.  Mac and cheese I can definitely do after work.  I remember you posting it a while back, Cew.  Recipe? :)
    Posted by NatesGirl16[/QUOTE]

Well, it's not really a recipe because I just make it up as I go, but....

boil 1/2 - 3/4 box of macaroni noodles
    while it's boiling, mix together:
    4 - 6 eggs (I like mine really eggy, so you could probably get away with just 1 or 2 eggs)
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup milk
    a shitton of garlic powder (not necessary, but I love garlic)

drain the noodles and pour out about half of them into a greased casserole dish (or crock pot)
    add a few dollops of butter
    top with cheese (1/2 - 1 cup)
    add the rest of the noodles and top with more cheese and butter
    pour the egg / milk mixture over the noodles and mix it around a bit
    bake 325 for 35 - 45 minutes or put in crock pot on low for 3 hours
  • I don't have a crock pot, but I'm going to save this thread for when I do. :)

And I'd get the tv as soon as possible. Why not enjoy it now since you know you're getting it? H and I just picked up Rock Band 3 as part of our joint Christmas gift to each other. We didn't want to wait a month to play, you know?

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_two-unrelated-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:05cc0794-cf12-4a8c-a314-83b2be18b5ecPost:c4a35edc-9159-4728-b635-2f82670cf8be">Re: Two Unrelated Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have a crock pot, but I'm going to save this thread for when I do. :) And I'd get the tv as soon as possible. Why not enjoy it now since you know you're getting it? H and I just picked up Rock Band 3 as part of our joint Christmas gift to each other. We didn't want to wait a month to play, you know?
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]
    I agree.  I don't want to wait, since we know we're getting it.  But when is the best time to buy in terms of deals?  I'm thinking right after Christmas might be our best bet. 

Side note--I LOVE RockBand.  I never thought I would be into it, but we are obsessed.  We only have 1 and 2, though, so I'll have to check out 3.

ETA: Thanks, Cew.  Sounds delicious, plus I need instructions in the kitchen :).  I'll print this out.
  • Hmm, I'm not sure Nates. I'm guessing Cyber Monday might have some good deals, and New Egg is probably a good place to look, if you haven't already. That's where we get 99% of our tech.

And you should totally pick up Rock Band 3 when you can! It is pretty awesome. We previously had Guitar Hero and Beatles Rock Band, and this one is just as good with a great playlist, plus some fun new features.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • I don't have anything to contribute on the TV front, sorry...

On the recipe front - there are some great books called "Fix It and Forget It".  All crockpot recipes...  I have the Fix It and Forget It Lightly.  Good, easy recipes.  The last one we had was 4 chicken breasts, 1 package of Italian seasoning mix, and a 1/2 cup of water.  Cook it on low for 10 hours.  I doubled it so we could eat a few days on it.  Yummy!
    Anniversary
  • Has Any sent you that massive list of Crock Pot recipes from E??  If not, let me know your email and I'll send them your way.  :)

steph0871 at gmail

Also. Check Best Buy regularly. They have awesome sales usually, and their warrenty is pretty damn good.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_two-unrelated-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:05cc0794-cf12-4a8c-a314-83b2be18b5ecPost:8f35d4e2-4f46-4516-806e-b4a2571b97af">Re: Two Unrelated Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has Any sent you that massive list of Crock Pot recipes from E??  If not, let me know your email and I'll send them your way.  :) steph0871 at gmail Also. Check Best Buy regularly. They have awesome sales usually, and their warrenty is pretty damn good.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

Can you send them to me? I'll email you :)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_two-unrelated-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:05cc0794-cf12-4a8c-a314-83b2be18b5ecPost:e69a9bf4-9dc3-4d6a-b25b-882745fe54d5">Re: Two Unrelated Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two Unrelated Questions : Can you send them to me? I'll email you :)
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>of course.  Anyone else? Let me know if you want me to forward them.

</div>
  • reddy123reddy123 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    I loved those links, thanks Alli and Any. Steph, I'm interested in those recipes!

ETA: I have good curry recipes, but none on my computer! I will work on this..
    Photobucket
  • Got it! Thanks Steph!
    Photobucket
  • I have a good appetizer one as well.

2 packages turkey (or regular kielbasa), sliced nto 1/2 inch thick slices
    2 jars Heinz chili sauce
    2 cans jelleid cranberry sauce

Cook on low for about 4 hours.
  • Salsa chicken is easy:  4 chicken breasts, 1 jar of salsa (whatever kind you like, 16 ounces or so).  Mix with a small can of corn and/or a can of black beans (rinsed and drained) in the crock pot.  Cook on low 8 hours or so; add 4 ounces cream cheese 1/2 hour before serving.  Serve with rice or noodles.

We got our flat screen tv last year betwen TGiving and Christmas.  We watched for sales, and ended up getting it from Costco.com.  There are some great deals out there, especially since you both know you're getting it you can stalk the sales.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm no help at all on the crockpot front as I don't use one.

But as for TVs, I would actually say after Christmas - like around Presidents Day will be better sales than before Christmas (think of the left over supply form the holidays that didn't sell and lower demand). I don't know where in NJ you are, but check out 6th Ave Electronics and PC Richards if you have them by you, they price match with Best Buy and other competitors and usually have cheaper delivery and install prices if you're in the market for that. We got ours from 6th ave last winter (in February I believe) and paid less than half for delivery and to have it mounted on the wall w/ the wires hidden, plus we got some freebees like a mount and HDMI cable at the time. Definitely price shop and research if any store are doing price match + 10% or anything like that, you can really get a great deal when you bring a lower price to another retailer usually.

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_two-unrelated-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:05cc0794-cf12-4a8c-a314-83b2be18b5ecPost:5bfd1a5a-1b46-4f08-91fc-be452258cc94">Re: Two Unrelated Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Re: the TV, I heard circuitcity.com has good deals but don't quote me on that.  What's your budget?
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

I would not trust Circuit City further than I could throw them.  And it would be tough to throw an entire corporation.  Even one as weak as CC.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_two-unrelated-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:05cc0794-cf12-4a8c-a314-83b2be18b5ecPost:5c55a265-cfac-429c-a8bc-0b543d56f472">Re: Two Unrelated Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have anything to contribute on the TV front, sorry... On the recipe front - there are some great books called "Fix It and Forget It".  All crockpot recipes...  I have the Fix It and Forget It Lightly.  Good, easy recipes.  The last one we had was 4 chicken breasts, 1 package of Italian seasoning mix, and a 1/2 cup of water.  Cook it on low for 10 hours.  I doubled it so we could eat a few days on it.  Yummy!
    Posted by ichellemay1[/QUOTE]

I have the Fix It and Forget It where every recipe in the book contains 5 ingredients or less.  It's nice because the prep is minimal (even by Crock Pot standards).

Also, we do meatballs a lot.  Honestly, I just buy the frozen meatballs that have already been baked.  I add tomato sauce and let it go.  I buy rolls so that we can have meatball sandwiches.  I seriously hate cooking, so I try to figure out how to make a meal with the least preparation, lol.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_two-unrelated-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:05cc0794-cf12-4a8c-a314-83b2be18b5ecPost:2914994f-7c69-49c2-b7a3-a82c40db87b7">Re: Two Unrelated Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two Unrelated Questions : Oh, whoops.  Didn't realize this was a bad store, I just heard they're having good sales. But it's not a good sale if it's a not good store.  FI and I got ours off of HSN.It was on sale in August.  I bet if you look around you will find something.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's just that most (all??) of their stores went out of busines in rapid fire succession not so long ago. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards