Snarky Brides
Options

Disappointed with e-pics

Pardon me while I get a little emo here for a sec.

I just got the full set of e-pics back from my photographer, and while there are some good ones (like the one in my sig, which I love), overall I am really disappointed. I think some of this is my fault - we decided to go for this quasi-steampunk theme for the pics, and I think my outfits could have been more flattering. I also decided to go without makeup or doing my hair, and I think that really hurt me too. Then there's the fact that I'm much heavier these days than I'm used to being, and the photographer really caught me at a lot of unflattering angles. Looking at these pics is really doing a number on my self esteem.

I'm not sure what to do now. When we first booked the photographer, she offered a service where she would put together a photo guestbook from the e-pics for people to sign at the wedding, and at the time I was really excited because it sounded like a nice keepsake. Now I'm not so sure, because I don't think I could pick out enough pics that I like - I like maybe ten of them. Part of me wants to put together a photo guestbook of our own using some past pics and Shutterfly or something, but I'd feel like a heel stealing her idea.

I'm also not sure whether I should be worried about the wedding pictures, although I am planning on rectifying all the problems I brought to the table with the e-pics - professional hair and makeup, a great dress, and I'm on Weight Watchers.

What say you?

Here's the link to her teaser pictures:
http://www.tamimelissaphotography.com/blog/sarah-charlie-in-love-philadelphia-steampunk-engagement-photography/

If you want to see the full album, I'll post it with the password, but I may DD that part later.
imageimage
Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?

Re: Disappointed with e-pics

• Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I thought you looked beautiful, in a LOT of the pictures.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed your engagement pictures, Sarah, and I think you're being too hard on yourself.  I do understand being disappointed, though. 

Is it in the budget to have a second engagement shoot?  If not, perhaps instead of a photobook for the guest book, you could use a photo mat with your favorite engagement shot (and potentially even swap it out for a wedding picture later).  That's what we did.  I didn't like most of my e-pics, either -- certainly not enough to make a book -- but a few of them came out great, so I framed my faves and skipped the album.
  • Options
    I think you look great Sarah.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_disappointed-e-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:09c34d56-9784-4ca0-83e6-f327649c5f24Post:685b5162-e386-40b2-8a67-3bd3a489d78b">Re: Disappointed with e-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I really enjoyed your engagement pictures, Sarah, and I think you're being too hard on yourself.  I do understand being disappointed, though.  Is it in the budget to have a second engagement shoot?</strong>  If not, perhaps instead of a photobook for the guest book, you could use a photo mat with your favorite engagement shot (and potentially even swap it out for a wedding picture later).  That's what we did.  I didn't like most of my e-pics, either -- certainly not enough to make a book -- but a few of them came out great, so I framed my faves and skipped the album.
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100%

Your pictures are beautiful. But as said above I can understand where you are coming from too.
  • Options
    I felt my heart sink when I read this thread title. I loved your pics and thought it was obvious you guys loved each other and your smile is contagious. I looked at these and thought they were great. You are being too hard on yourself.

That being said, my MOH had a similar feeling to yours about her e-pics and she ended up going with a different photog for the wedding and was happy she did. She didn't realize how amateur she really was until after a horrible shoot in 110 degree weather, both her and her FI looked like they were going to die in most the pics.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_disappointed-e-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:09c34d56-9784-4ca0-83e6-f327649c5f24Post:685b5162-e386-40b2-8a67-3bd3a489d78b">Re: Disappointed with e-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really enjoyed your engagement pictures, Sarah, and I think you're being too hard on yourself.  I do understand being disappointed, though.  Is it in the budget to have a second engagement shoot?  If not, perhaps instead of a photobook for the guest book, you could use a photo mat with your favorite engagement shot (and potentially even swap it out for a wedding picture later).  That's what we did.  I didn't like most of my e-pics, either -- certainly not enough to make a book -- but a few of them came out great, so I framed my faves and skipped the album.
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]

The first engagement shoot was actually part of our package, so maybe I shouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth too much. I may talk to Charlie about paying for a second session, and see what he says, though.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Sarah,

i think the pics are very well done and see no reason that you won't have ridiculously stunning wedding pictures with proper attire, hair and makeup planning.  To be honest, I think you look beautiful in your pictures.  It's your jeans that don't.  Specifically the pics where i can see your cell phone in your pocket. It draws my eye.  You're naturally beautiful.  Don't worry about your wedding pics.

I think you can pull off a picture book.  i only had a few pics I like from our wedding and still managed to do quite a large book by editing, cropping, and zooming in on details in pics.

• Options
    Here's the full link, if anyone feels like look at more:

http://www.tamimelissaphotography.com/?sproofing_id=92

Password is steampunk.
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_disappointed-e-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:09c34d56-9784-4ca0-83e6-f327649c5f24Post:df087bf7-e513-4fa1-8c3d-171e5d091d11">Re: Disappointed with e-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sarah, i think the pics are very well done and see no reason that you won't have ridiculously stunning wedding pictures with proper attire, hair and makeup planning.  To be honest, I think you look beautiful in your pictures.  It's your jeans that don't.  Specifically the pics where i can see your cell phone in your pocket. It draws my eye.  You're naturally beautiful.  Don't worry about your wedding pics. I think you can pull off a picture book.  i only had a few pics I like from our wedding and still managed to do quite a large book by editing, cropping, and zooming in on details in pics.
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

The cell phone is one thing that is really bothering me. Also, it seems like she took a million pictures where I was standing with the largest possible surface area of my butt facing the camera.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I thought they were nice!
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Ditto Celles & Miz.  You're being hard on yourself, Sarah, and I completely understand, since I never like photos of myself.  I think you've got a good photographer, and the wedding photos will be fine.  I like the idea of a photo mat with one e-pic that you really like and skip the book if you really aren't comfortable with that.  {{hugs}}
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Sarah-I loved your pictures! You guys look like you had so much fun, and you looked great. But, I can understand being hard on yourself. I picked a lot of my wedding pictures apart.

Sorry you are disappointed. Just know we love them!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    NuggetBrainNuggetBrain member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I like your pictures, but if you're uncomfortable with them that's all that matters.  I guess my question is, did she seem to understand the overall theme you were going for?  Are there a lot of pictures where it seems the photog didn't get the right angle or right lighting?  These are things that a good photographer should be able to do regardless of what the subject looks like.

We ended up switching our photos after our first e-pic shoot because we made it very clear we wanted a photojouralistic style, and while they said they would do that every picture was super posed and traditional.  And they also seemed to make common mistakes like getting a shot with a big ass clump of dirt on my shoe.   I wore almost the same makeup (less in fact) and weighed the same with both shoots, and the second was so much infinately better.  Instead of there only being like, 3 shots I liked there were only 3 shots I didn't like.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    LP11509LP11509 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2011
    I LOVE that your epics reflect who you are your FI are.  98% of epics I see are "cookie cutter".  You did something different that has meaning to you guys and your wedding.  And I think you look adorable.  For real.

It's true that people are their own worst critics though.  If you are truly that unhappy with them maybe you can talk with the photographer and see if she would be willing to do a second shoot for a discounted price or something?  

Also if you're concerned about the wedding photos, I would address this with your photographer.  Let her know exactly what you didn't like about them and see what she can do to help prevent this for the wedding.  Obviously point out the things that you DO like as well.  But if she's truly a professional, she should welcome your feedback and accommodate for you accordingly. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_disappointed-e-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:09c34d56-9784-4ca0-83e6-f327649c5f24Post:2f505078-f022-458f-8e74-c04690693d70">Re: Disappointed with e-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Disappointed with e-pics : The cell phone is one thing that is really bothering me. Also, it seems like she took a million pictures where I was standing with the largest possible surface area of my butt facing the camera.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

Luckily, you have a nice butt.  I really do think it's the jeans, not you.  i think you, like me, are probably seeing WAY more than the rest of us are seeing and are just very critical of yourself.  You're going to look stunning in your wedding pics!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_disappointed-e-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:09c34d56-9784-4ca0-83e6-f327649c5f24Post:792ebc4a-69c5-403d-be5d-139d8378b09c">Re: Disappointed with e-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Disappointed with e-pics : Luckily, you have a nice butt.  I really do think it's the jeans, not you.  i think you, like me, are probably seeing WAY more than the rest of us are seeing and are just very critical of yourself.  You're going to look stunning in your wedding pics!
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

Haha thanks. :)

And thankfully the wedding dress is very flattering in the butt area, just in case it turns out that my photographer has a butt picture fetish.
    imageimage
  • Options
    cardmonstacardmonsta member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I think most people feel this way about seeing pictures of themselves.  FWIW I love your e-pics.  Like a PP said, people are their own worst critics.  People love my wedding pics and I'm just staring at my arm fat.

ETA: But, if it's in the budget, why not get some more? It's always nice to have more pictures of you and your FI.  But quite honestly, I love your pics, and I think you look beautiful.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Wow I LOVE a bunch of them!  However, I think if you don't love them it is totally okay to use different pictures for the photo book or get new pictures done with your hair/makeup done and clothes you are more comfortable in.
  • Options
    I agree with Anna.  You have a great ass, Sarah!
    imageimage
    Welcome to the world, Baby W: born on 3/8/12 @ 3:49pm - 8lb 11 oz, 22 in. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree with PPs. Your photos are so cool and unique! I'm sorry you aren't happy with them.

Did your photographer spend much time working with you on poses or ways to stand that would be more flattering for the camera? Maybe part of what is bothering you is that so many of your pics are pretty well straight toward the camera. Our photographer had to coach me on how to stand so the angles would work better, and almost none of them were direct to camera.

And I'd definitely suggest wearing at least some makeup next time, even if you don't usually. A little bit of lip gloss and some mascara can go a long ways in pictures, but still keep you looking natural.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_disappointed-e-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:09c34d56-9784-4ca0-83e6-f327649c5f24Post:1f482e88-eafe-4845-9c7b-fa90327030e3">Re: Disappointed with e-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sarah I looked at all of them and there are some fantastic pics in there that I did not see on the teaser.  I love the ones where you are wearing his hat in front of the brick wall, and the ones where you are walking down the stone street with the British flag, and the ones where you are dancing.  Oh and the one where you are behind him on the prch is gorgeous! Can you photographer change the color of your jeans?  You might like them better if they were either kaki or brown.  Or have her switch up some of the pics to black and white and I bet you will love them.  I do still believe that some of the issue is the backgrounds she chose.  They don't fit the theme.  If you are going to retake them how about getting a vintage chair for that porch or taking some inside where there is period art of furniture to help out with the theme? 
    Posted by Dot Dash[/QUOTE]

Some of the backgrounds are my fault, not hers. We were walking around the Independence Hall area in Philadelphia, and at times my art historian geek brain overrode my "trying to do a steampunk theme" brain. For instance, the marble steps from the first set of pictures are the front steps of William Strickland's Second Bank of the United States, a building that always comes up when I do lectures on the Greek revival.

I like the idea of switching some of them to B&W - some of the ones that she switched at the end of the teaser page are some of my favorites.

I'm also finding a few more that I like now that I am looking closely. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    When I first saw my E pics I think I hated every single one.  All I could think about was how big I looked (I to am not the size I used to be).  I went back, looked at them and edited.  Changing colors, tones, cropping, etc. made me really fall in love with a lot of them.

I think quite a few of your pictures are quite lovely and unique.  I live right near Philly and I wish H and I had time to just go do a photoshoot in all of the historic areas (I may do it in the fall just for kicks!).  I do think some of the photos where it looks like the angles are off are more because of the jeans/cell phone v. the photographers skill.

I love some of the photos that your photographer has edited towards the bottom of the teaser section.  I especially love the one of your two kissing at the gate.  Just awesome.  I agree with Nuggs though, if you really don't like any get a re do.  I am a big supporter of always having hair a make up done before any sort of photos are taken; however, I'm kinda a vain girly girl and that may not be your style.

Quick question (and you may have answered this but I may have missed it) are you planning on wearing your glasses for the wedding and photos?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the compliments and suggestions, guys. I guess this whole wedding business is making me a lot more sensitive than usual. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    I think your pics are really cute and I love the idea. Taht said, YOU are the one who will have to look at the guest book for years. If you think you'd like to have it as a keepsake and show your kids and remember what you looked like in your mid-20s when you're 50 or 60 (and I assure you that you won't be as hard on your 20 something self then!), that's for you to decide. If you did a different photo book - well, you'd have to pay for it, but I wouldn't think it's stealing an idea, since lots of people do it. If you want to do a different guest book idea, that's also a possibility, like a wall hanging or platter. We had people sign craft beer bottles w/ sharpies.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_disappointed-e-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:09c34d56-9784-4ca0-83e6-f327649c5f24Post:a5306b17-d77f-4ca5-8087-f48fac50bd89">Re: Disappointed with e-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I first saw my E pics I think I hated every single one.  All I could think about was how big I looked (I to am not the size I used to be).  I went back, looked at them and edited.  Changing colors, tones, cropping, etc. made me really fall in love with a lot of them. I think quite a few of your pictures are quite lovely and unique.  I live right near Philly and I wish H and I had time to just go do a photoshoot in all of the historic areas (I may do it in the fall just for kicks!).  I do think some of the photos where it looks like the angles are off are more because of the jeans/cell phone v. the photographers skill. I love some of the photos that your photographer has edited towards the bottom of the teaser section.  I especially love the one of your two kissing at the gate.  Just awesome.  I agree with Nuggs though, if you really don't like any get a re do.  I am a big supporter of always having hair a make up done before any sort of photos are taken; however, I'm kinda a vain girly girl and that may not be your style. <strong>Quick question (and you may have answered this but I may have missed it) are you planning on wearing your glasses for the wedding and photos?</strong>
    Posted by aprovencher21[/QUOTE]

You bet I am - I've never worn contacts, don't think I want to start, and can't see without them, so glasses it is. I also want to look like myself.

Are there particular beauty/photography things I should be thinknig about, wearing glasses?
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_disappointed-e-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:09c34d56-9784-4ca0-83e6-f327649c5f24Post:0649e7b6-3a57-480d-81c1-b86c4f774a53">Re: Disappointed with e-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think your pics are really cute and I love the idea. Taht said, YOU are the one who will have to look at the guest book for years. If you think you'd like to have it as a keepsake and show your kids and remember what you looked like in your mid-20s when you're 50 or 60 (and I assure you that you won't be as hard on your 20 something self then!), that's for you to decide. If you did a different photo book - well, you'd have to pay for it, but I wouldn't think it's stealing an idea, since lots of people do it. If you want to do a different guest book idea, that's also a possibility, like a wall hanging or platter. <font color="#993366">We had people sign craft beer bottles w/ sharpies.
    </font>Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

I love that. 
  • Options
    OK, just sent the photographer a very nice email thanking her for sending me the pictures and asking for more info about the photo guestbook, but not quite committing (we'd have to pay extra for it so I said we were trying to decide whether it was in the budget). I also asked her about changing the color of some of them, and such. We'll see how many pictures typically go into a book, and then I can get a better idea of whether it will work with what we have.

Thanks for being my go-to therapy circle, guys! :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_disappointed-e-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:09c34d56-9784-4ca0-83e6-f327649c5f24Post:8ef5f245-eec2-4e2a-9f7e-ae3cae4db9b5">Re: Disappointed with e-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Disappointed with e-pics : You bet I am - I've never worn contacts, don't think I want to start, and can't see without them, so glasses it is. I also want to look like myself. Are there particular beauty/photography things I should be thinknig about, wearing glasses?

No but when I wear my glasses I do my eye make up differently.  Are you having your makeup done for the wedding or planning on wearing make up for the wedding?

I understand wanting to look like yourself but you have lovely eyes so I'd try to play them up =)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_disappointed-e-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:09c34d56-9784-4ca0-83e6-f327649c5f24Post:4a10dfda-039d-483b-ad54-a0e23ae7bfc0">Re: Disappointed with e-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Disappointed with e-pics : No but when I wear my glasses I do my eye make up differently.  Are you having your makeup done for the wedding or planning on wearing make up for the wedding? I understand wanting to look like yourself but you have lovely eyes so I'd try to play them up =)
    Posted by aprovencher21[/QUOTE]

That's a whole other deal. At this point, since I'm pretty makeup challenged myself (sense a theme here?), I think I'm going to bring in a professional, especially since I have no idea how to do eye makeup for glasses, other than knowing that something different has to happen. I figure I can't go too wrong if someone else takes care of it.
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_disappointed-e-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:09c34d56-9784-4ca0-83e6-f327649c5f24Post:089f8a73-cea1-4e1f-a62c-4b0d650bdf66">Re: Disappointed with e-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Disappointed with e-pics : That's a whole other deal. At this point, since I'm pretty makeup challenged myself (sense a theme here?), I think I'm going to bring in a professional, especially since I have no idea how to do eye makeup for glasses, other than knowing that something different has to happen. I figure I can't go too wrong if someone else takes care of it.

A pro will do wonders taking care of your eye makeup with glasses.  My skin broke out horribly from the stress right before the wedding so I was so thankful for my makeup artist.  She literally spray painted my skin with the air gun and I looked like me.....just one with good skin!

Are you getting married in NJ/PA area?  The salon I used has amazing makeup artists (Calista Grade Salon and Spa) and my makeup artist who I used for everything is Kate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards