Snarky Brides

Thanksgiving Dinner

What are the foods that mean Thanksgiving to you?  Foods that if you got to someone's house and they didn't have it, you would give the side eye and wish you were 10 years old again in your mom's kitchen.

For me it's all about the stuffing but it must be corn bread stuffing cooked with a pound of butter.  Oh and olives, enough to fill all my fingers and still have some left for other people.
IVF#1 May 2011 15 Eggs Retrieved, 11 Fertilized using ICSI + HPT on 6/9/11 Beta #1 420 Beta #2 2167 US 7/1 TWINS!! Due 2/18/2012 Brooke and Nora born at 35.6 weeks Jan 20th 2012

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner

• Olives in your stuffing?  Or just olives?

For me, it's hashbrown casserole, broccoli casserole, and lemon icebox pie.  Unfortunately I don't think I'll be getting any of those things this year. Frown And we don't have stuffing, we have dressing.  I LOVE my grandma's oyster dressing.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • My grandmother used to make potato dressing using a hand-powered meat grinder.  We're not having it this year.
  • Just Olives you know for your fingers.  Please tell me I'm not the only one who still puts the olives on my fingers.

Hmm, dressing vs stuffing.  What's the difference so I know what I am actaully eating.
    IVF#1 May 2011 15 Eggs Retrieved, 11 Fertilized using ICSI + HPT on 6/9/11 Beta #1 420 Beta #2 2167 US 7/1 TWINS!! Due 2/18/2012 Brooke and Nora born at 35.6 weeks Jan 20th 2012
  • mashed turnips & oyster stuffing

• My mother's ausage and cornbread stuffing. My sister has been hosting Thanksgiving for the last 15 years -- one year she didn't make it and I was speechless.
  • Mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry-raspberry relish, pecan pie with homemade whipped cream. Oh, and deviled eggs and shrimp cocktail as an appetizer.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • Oh Foff, I forgot Devil Eggs!  Crap on a hat I have to go back to the store. 

Thank baby jesus for Kristen.
  • My mom's Jello salad...I think it's just raspberry jello, sprite, and something else, but it's not Thanksgiving dinner to me without it.
  • Lori!  How goes it my friend?
  • Pretty good, but Jesus H do I hate this new layout with the heat of a thousand suns.  Mentioning deviled eggs reminds me that I'm supposed to make some for dinner #1 at Jason's aunt and uncle's on Thursday...thanks for the reminder :p

How are things with you?
  • Things are good, just working and wedding crap.    I too hate the new format, it takes forever to down load post. 

• I can't believe you've got less than 5 months to go-that's awesome!  I don't miss wedding plannning in the least...though it would give me something to do when yet another one of my clients cancels due to flulike symptoms. The stupid swine flu is wreaking havoc on my productivity.
  • Stuffing is cooked in the bird.  Dressing is cooked in its own casserole dish.

I would give major side eye to anyone who didn't have pumpkin pie for dessert, and anyone trying to pass off slices from a can-shaped jiggly object as cranberry sauce.
    Mucho likes purple nails and purple cupcakes
  • Oh, and I totally do the black olives on my fingers routine too!  Unfortunately I haven't had the luxury in a while because Thanksgiving is now always at my ILs and they don't do black olives.
  • I know Lori, I can't believe how quick it's coming up.  It's a good thing we decided to have a small wedding in Hawaii.  Once everything was booked, I was totally over it.  I don't have to worry about center pieces or a DJ and I couldn't be happier.
  • oh thanks Lindsay, we cook the stuffing both in the bird and some on it's own.  Cooked in the bird is way better.
  • Dressing and mashed potatoes...yum.  I hate turkey so my uncle makes a ham especially for me.  I always bring the deviled eggs and this year the mashed potatoes.  About 3-4 years ago my family discovered Farm Boys instant potatoes, we haven't had REAL potatoes since.  I'm totally over it so I'm bringing the REAL thing this year.

Also how many lbs. of potatoes you think it would take to feed 40 people??
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thanksgiving-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0e5a19b0-c62c-48e9-aec3-62d21f8930fePost:66f013f4-f6e0-48a2-bd6e-adfec9e6dccd">Re: Thanksgiving Dinner</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I'm totally over it so I'm bringing the REAL thing this year. Also how many lbs. of potatoes you think it would take to feed 40 people??
    Posted by EvilleLady[/QUOTE]

um, a lot?

Wow, I have no idea.
  • According to a couple different recipes on epicurious, 2 lbs = 4 servings.  So you're looking at 20 lbs or so for 40 people.  I hope you have a trip to Costco planned!
  • I have no COSTCO or an of those specialty stores you guys speak of.  But we do have little roadside stands with friendly old men that sell 50lbs bags of potatoes and 20lbs bags of oranges.  I've never understood the potaotes and oranges combination.  But anyhoo, I think I'm going to stop tomorrow and just pick up 50lbs.  
  • Stuffing and sweet potato souffle.  My H's family never did stuffing for t-giving (the horror).  BUT, his mom does make a mean corn pudding.
    image Mabel the Loser.
  • I've never seen deviled eggs or olives at a Thanksgiving dinner.  Interesting.

And I'm one of those weird people that will ONLY eat the jellied cranberries.  The kind that come out in the shape of the can.  Oh how I lurve them. 
  • For me, it's turkey, pumpkin pie, sweet potato casserole (the kind with marshmallows, not pecans), deviled eggs, mashed potatoes with giblet gravy, and moist Southern style cornbread dressing (the kind made with buttermilk cornbread, a little bit of celery and bell pepper, and of course, sage, is the best).  I just gained 10 pounds thinking about all the food!  I have 5 different places that I celebrate holidays, so I always get it at least one place.
    Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards