Snarky Brides
Options

Romantic Comedies

Recommend your favorite (especially if it is new).  The H is out of town this weekend.

Re: Romantic Comedies

• Options
    WALL-E!  Well, it's kinda romantic.  And extremely adorable.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • Options
    Does Amelie count as a rom-com? Knocked Up When Harry Met Sally Much Ado About Nothing Lars and the Real Girl Juno Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Options
    Oh yeah, Forgetting Sarah Marshall was great.
    The hair grows in thick where the horn used to be.
  • Options
    I think Forgetting Sarah Marshall suffered from too much hype syndrome for me. I didn't see it until a year later, and by that time it didn't live up to the expectations. I was just meh on it.
  • Options
    I'm just gonna put it out there through the interwebz.  My friends recently mocked me mercilessly, but I love this movie.  Feel free to judge me.   27 Dresses
  • Options
    Buddha - Have you tried it again? I too was disappointed because I was soooo excited for it.  However, since it is now on regular rotation on HBO, my husband and I turn it on all of the time.  It has grown on both of us.
  • Options
    Ditto to Love, Actually. Great movie. If you want to go to a movie, The Proposal was much better than I anticipated. Plus, naked Ryan Reynolds, so there is that.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Waitress! I forgot about it. I think I found my movie.  I love many of those mentioned.  What was wrong with the last five minutes of Love Actually?
  • Options
    I would rather get spray tanned with fecal mist than watch 27 Dresses again.
  • Options
    Yeah, same question from me, Buddha.Now I want to watch it again for the 100th time.
  • Options
    I loved Waitress. And it has Nathan Fillion! Win.I also loved Love Actually. Isn't the last five minutes the little boy running through the airport, and Colin Firth's proposal, and the PM making out with his aid in front of the elementary school? What's wrong with that?!

• Options
    Or, anyone see Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day?
  • Options
    I think the last 5 minutes is everyone at the airport wrapping up loose ends. Emma Thompson makes me weep every time. I'm tearing up just thinking of the scene when she opens the cd and goes to her room to sob.
  • Options
    I don't know. It was just a little too contrived for me. I am willing to ride my unicycle alone on this one.
  • Options
    Emma Thompson makes me weep every time. I'm tearing up just thinking of the scene when she opens the cd and goes to her room to sob.And when she says "Would you stay, knowing your life was always going to be a little bit worse?"  DEAD.So, I'm rewatching LA this weekend, but I own it so Waitress will be Netflixed, unless Pettigrew gets a ringing endorsement.  I do love Amy Adams.
  • Options
    last night I watched License to Wed and also loved that.OK, but the memory of John Krasinski asking Mandy Moore for sex using, "do you wanna walk the midget?" makes my skin crawl.
  • Options
    Or, anyone see Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day? Amy Adams was adorable, and Francis McDormand was great, but the rest of the movie was just meh.  It was good fluff, but not something I'd watch again.  There was a lot of cutesy and a lot of serious and it seemed kind of disconnected.  The piemaker is in it and he was another bright spot.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • Options
    Oh yes, I enjoyed Penelope too! It's available for Netflix Watch Instantly, too.
  • Options
    Penelope! It's a "fairy tale" w. Christina Ricci and I just watched it this weekend and LOVED it. Get out of my house, Tasty!But seriously, Penelope rocked.  Great, great movie.  Much better than Pettigrew.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • Options
    Penelope was just such a sweet movie. Also the lead guy is SMOKING. HT, all that line got from me is a "YESPLEASEOHPLEASEGIVEMEYOURBONE". Guess I don't mind awkward phrasing. huh.
  • Options
    I loved Miss Pettigrew! But I hate rom-coms (except Amelie, A Life Less Ordinary and Down With Love) so I don't know how well it represents the genre. It actually reminded me a lot of Cold Comfort Farm (which I also love), and apparently the authors of the books had a little feud going so I'd watch those two as a double feature.

"The meek shall inherit the earth" isn't about children. It's about deer. We're all going to get messed the fuckup by a bunch of cloned super-deer.- samfish2bcrab

Sometimes I wonder if scientists have never seen a sci-fi movie before. "Oh yes, let's create a super species of deer. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG." I wonder if State Farm offers a Zombie Deer Attack policy. -CaliopeSpidrman
  • Options
    I don't get movies like Coraline.  Nightmare before Christmas I've tried watching a brazillon times and only make it about 5 minutes.   Most of my friends lurve it and I just can't get into it.  Same with Corpse Bride.I guess I'm just to full of sunshine to understand the darkness.
  • Options
    Definitely, Maybe is an adorable movie.  Huge plus that it stars Ryan Reynolds.One of my all time favorite chick flick/romantic movies is Where the Heart Is.
  • Options
    Ooh! I'm adding Penelope to my Watch it Now queue.

• Options
    Definitely, Maybe is an adorable movie. Huge plus that it stars Ryan Reynolds.Yeah, I watched the first hour or so of this and then the satellite went out.  I just didn't really care how it ended.  So no ringing endorsement here.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • Options
    I think my X chromosome is mangled, because I have only seen 2 of these movies.
    For less then ten cents a day, you can feed a hungry child.
  • Options
    I love Corpse Bride but hate Nightmare Before Christmas.
  • Options
    I wasn't a fan of Miss Pettigrew.  But I might have been multi-tasking when I watched it.  I'll second Confessions of a Shopaholic.  Predictable, but HUGH DARCY!  :swoon:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Corpse Bride has been on my instant queue forever, unwatched. I am also too full of sunshine to get into any of the dark stuff, McLovin.
  • Options
    I still watch Ever After: A Cinderella Story every time it comes on tv.  I used to own it, but I bought it so long ago it was a VHS.  I need to add that to my must-buy list.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards